Problems with a company called 'Rockwell'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5459 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone..this is my first post!

On having been given some advice recently by a close friend to contact this forum to see could i find help.. i have now decided to give it a try.

My story is,I originally had a bank loan of £3500 with The TSB many years ago now which through various reasons (loss of employment and subsiquently messing up slightly with the insurance cover claim)it wasnt paid back in full in the allocated loan period.

I have though been paying it back steadily in small amounts(£10 a month) to a 'Brian Carter ltd' amongst others, for roughly the last 17/18 years or so.But through lack of continual work and in the last six years chronic ill health,have found myself six months or so ago being passed on t a 'Rockwell collections' ..having first received a letter from the TSB saying the debt had been sold to them now via tessa recoveries and another company called phoenix i think??

They then phoned me constantly,pushing me to try to borrow the money. When i refused,they asked me to give them a breakdown of my income(benefits) and outgoings(which i duly did). They then agreed that the £10 a month would be acceptable for now but would be reviewed in six months time.

I have just received the six monthly review call..and they are pressuring me once again now to try to borrow the money to pay off the complete one thousand plus debt immediately.

Even though i have explained that even if i was accepted for such a loan i wouldnt be able to afford the extra burden of the finance repayments this would involve..they are constantly pushing me to try!

I am not a dishonest person and untill this point had accepted that this debt was indeed mine to try to repay as best i could..but i am now feeling i need help with this to try to resolve this situation.

I am in receipt of higher rate mobilty disabilty benifit at the moment due largely to arthritis and complications arising from having over 50% of my large bowel removed due to intestinal desease.

Since i started repaying this loan back all those years ago to various companies..i have never yet knowingly missed an agreed payment!

Is this company within their rights to apply pressure to people like this?

Even when i am still making the agreed payments every month?

Thanks in advance for any advice given on this...

These **** are only putting pressure on you because you are making the mistake of engaging them on the telephone!

Even debt collectors, who treat the law with no respect whatsoever, are reluctant to ask people to borrow further money to pay alleged debts, because it is unlawful to do so.

If any idiot tries to bully you on the telephone, just demand that all communication be kept in writing. That way the unlawful demands and threats will be vastly reduced.

Time to fight back. Send a CCA request for a true copy of the agreement. If this is an old account, there is every chance they will be stuffed. Even if they do come up with something, it will at least buy you time.

Send letter 'N' from the templates. Send it with a £1 postal order, no cheques, and don't sign the letter.

SH

I have though been paying it back steadily in small amounts(£10 a month) to a 'Brian Carter ltd' amongst others, for roughly the last 17/18 years or so.

Each and everyone have had their take out of you, treated you like a football in a playground then shoved you down the converyor belt when they've had enough.

Stop the converyor belt now, your scenario is the basis this site was created.

Follow the advice given, any questions don't be afraid to ask.

Hey Qiz,

This is my thread about the same companies, I had great advice from here and at the moment haven't heard anything from any of the DCA's for 6 months (fingers crossed), you have to stand up to them and make them realize that they have to play by the book.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/121177-i-dont-know-what.html

This is my thread, have a look, it may help :)

Good Luck!

Lumi

Hi my names sharon and I am replying at this point on behalf of my husband pete.. (qizmaster)

We are very very grateful indeed for the advice given to date by the three members and also incredibly relieved to have found some kind ears regarding this mess!

Its refreshing to find were not alone with this!

We will definitely keep you informed as to how we get on...

Please do keep us informed and if you run into any problems, or just need some reassurance on what to do next, just shout and someone will give you a hand :)

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

i think i'd even go as far as CCA'ing every one the DCA's that have accepted money from you over the years, and when they cant provide it look at getting the payments refunded, even if you have to take them to court.

17/18 yrs is a very long time to be held under their spell, when i bet none of them had the authority to actually administer your debt.

i bet they brought it for peanuts too.

you should of questioned this years ago.

disgusting behaviour

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

i think i'd even go as far as CCA'ing every one the DCA's that have accepted money from you over the years, and when they cant provide it look at getting the payments refunded, even if you have to take them to court.

17/18 yrs is a very long time to be held under their spell, when i bet none of them had the authority to actually administer your debt.

i bet they brought it for peanuts too.

you should of questioned this years ago.

disgusting behaviour

dx

What's the betting they haven't got statements going back that far. An SAR might yield some interesting results.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

I have to say what I learn t from my experience with these people is never to take anything on face value, I couldve just accepted what they said upon first contact, I didnt and its now been 6 months since they contacted me, definitely worthwhile to challenge them at every step.

Good Luck and keep fighting :)

Lumi

Hello again all!

Many,many thanks for all the advice and encouragment to date!

I received another phone call today off the Rockwell representative..and i told Her quite straightforwardly,re 'Scabhunters' advice,that i wasnt prepared to discuss or accept any more phone calls regarding this matter and would only answer written corespondance from this time forward!

I honestly felt that she seemed a little subdued by this request...

Now im about to follow this up with the advised CCA request also..Does anyone happen to know what the mailing address for Rockwell is?

P.s..should i keep repaying them the ten pounds a month?

Rockwell Debt Collection Agency PO Box 66. Southend-On-Sea Essex SS1 2G.

P.s..should i keep repaying them the ten pounds a month?
Only until they default on supplying the copy of the agreement.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 1 month later...
You could claim it is statute barred . I can't see how they could conclusively prove it was not , not without having 18 years worth of statements available. And that would be their onus .

Hi Drexl!

What is statute barred exactly?...Only Rockwell have now ignored my first letter claiming no knowledge of it? and my clear instructions a month ago to only contact me via letter!

They have called again and this time told my wife i have to contact them immediately by phone...or else!!!

Hi there, in the Templates section there is a letter to stop telephone calls, I will see if I can find the link.

Did you send your CCA letter by Recorded Delivery? if so you can check with Royal Mail to confirm that they have received and signed for your letter.

Hi Senior!

No i didnt unfortunately!. I niavely imagined that they would cash the postal order and respond?

Unfortunately i didnt realise they would possibly fight dirty.

I will resend the cca and postal order.. but will definitely record it this time!

Thanks for the info about the letter as well!..

Will keep posted.

• 2 weeks later...
I have to say what I learn t from my experience with these people is never to take anything on face value, I couldve just accepted what they said upon first contact, I didnt and its now been 6 months since they contacted me, definitely worthwhile to challenge them at every step.

Good Luck and keep fighting :)

Lumi

Hi Again Lumi!

Dont mind me asking but..When did you stop paying them back the monthly amount?

Have you not paid anything for the last six months?

QIZ

Hello again Guys!

Have sent the second postal order and CCA off again!(recorded this time though!!)and they have signed for it!!..Strangely also,the phone calls have stopped this week?

Dont know whether this is a pure coincidence or not..but its nice to have a break from the harrasment!

How long should i wait now before they have defaulted with a response to the CCA and i can stop the monthly drip?

This may well be statute barred . When exactly did you take out this TSB loan ? You are going by your own recollection that you have been paying monies back the past 18 years , but that is no guarantee that you actually made them, not without paperwork evidence from this company in question . There could well be 6 years of non payment in there somewhere. They need to prove there isn't . What date was the cause of action anyway , do they even know? No date of cause of action = no cause of action = no case , no case = no debt .

Edited by Percival Wigglesbottom

This may well be statute barred . When exactly did you take out this TSB loan ? You are going by your own recollection that you have been paying monies back the past 18 years , but that is no guarantee that you actually made them, not without paperwork evidence from this company in question . There could well be 6 years of non payment in there somewhere. They need to prove there isn't . What date was the cause of action anyway , do they even know? No date of cause of action = no cause of action = no case , no case = no debt .

Hi percy!

I have been through a succession of collectors with this for seriously longer than i can/or care to remember?!

I took the original loan out(£3500)with the TSB back in 1988 i believe,and fell ill/then unemployed after about 8 months payments...and fell behind,ccj's and such.

I think the debt collection started out with a firm/company called 'Fredricson international' in the very early nineties and then a 'Brian Carter solicitors'..in the late nineties!

Between these two i never missed a payment for at least 17 years..maybe more?

Suddenly about a year or so ago i received a letter(i think from The TSB where the loan originated) saying it had passed the debt on to Rockwell via Tessa and a phoenix recoveries?

They(Rockwell) agreed at first to collecting the Ten pound a month(after a lot of arguing though)..but said that ultimately they would want more/or full settlement by me finding the money to pay them from elsewhere!

Since then the calls have been quite persistent!

Im personaly in very poor straights at the moment..both healthwise and financialy,but i wont give in to these 'Bastards' now..due largely to the support i have received from this forum.

Onward and upwards hey?...

Edited by qizmaster

Hi Again Lumi!

Dont mind me asking but..When did you stop paying them back the monthly amount?

Have you not paid anything for the last six months?

QIZ

Hi Qiz, I never paid them anything at all, I was previously paying HSBC's inhouse DCA Metropolitan, and when they sold it to Rockwell (who were rude and aggresive), I stopped all payments and told them to prove it, they still havent sent me the CCA, so for the time being they cant prove anything.

Ive received a letter from Rockwell this morning roughly saying ..'Thank you for responding to our previous letter!!????:???:...we are getting the further information you require from our clients and will get back to you shortly!:eek:

If i have any further queries with my outstanding balance please contact..yadda yadda!!

Dont get it though?:???:

What letter they have supposedly sent me?..they havent sent me diddly squat!!:evil:

Should i just ignore this letter as a stupid delaying tactic to try to make me keep paying them the monthly drip?

Or should i keep paying them for the time being at least?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Folks!

Rockwell need further investigation, as they seem to be fond of sending out Letters without any sign of their Company details or Consumer Credit Licence.

If they are a Limited Company, then a Complaint to Companies House is advised.

Companies House

Likewise, the OFT may be interested in them too, if they are hiding their Consumer Credit Licence (if any)!

Cheers,

BRW

Had the same problem with this company before, to the point where I actually lie to them that I could borrow money from friends and family to repay, they backed off for a while, and then when they realised they were not in fact getting anything out of me, they handed the account back to to original Creditor! Do not give in to the bullying, whatever you do, they cannot/will not get anything out of you that u can't actually afford, and that's the bottom line...