• Tweets

• I've just taken another look through the stuff they sent me in response to the CPR request, the notice of assignment isn't the original , it's on a plain sheet of non letterhead paper, in fact it could have easily been typed up by Overdales, or anybody really.  On the other side of the paper are standard Lowell terms and conditions that are only half on the page. Should this be part of my defence?
    • I agree with my site team colleague above. We need to know all the facts including which company you are dealing with and an explanation of the problem. It really is too difficult to start giving speculative advice on some speculative problem that you have laid out as a generalised scenario
    • Moorcroft are sending a rep round to my house this week. What is the best way to handle this? Ignore and not answer the door or engage with them? I haven't acknowledged anything since I started on this journey and defaulted on my cards in December 2022
    • Very sorry but with the best will in the world, I don't think we can at all understand what the situation is here. Please can you try rewriting this on a word processor and maybe send a copy of what you have written to a friend and working out together so that the story is complete but as brief as possible. Maybe a list of dates as well. If you can do that and then repost your story we can have a look
    • Hi, I am a local authority tenant and was in a 3 bed house. At the end of last year, my last child moved out and so did my spouse as we are now going through a divorce which meant that I was in the house alone and decided that I needed to downsize not only for myself but to offer the property to a family that needed it. I registered on the local authority housing bidding site as i was asked to do and I was accepted and given a priority banding as I was downsizing and they were desperate for my house. I have been extremely lucky and after about 6 weeks was accepted for a new build from a housing association via the housing gateway. I viewed the property 2 weeks ago and had to sign the tenancy last week when they were doing bulk signups for the houses and that is the day I moved. In between viewing and sign up, I contacted my current local authority landlord and asked how I give notice as I had been accepted for a property I had bid on and was moving.  The lady told me how to do it online and then said that I needed to give a full weeks notice which wasnt a problem as I had enough time.  (I was also told a weeks notice was what i would need to give by another staff member about a month ago when I phoned up for another housing related question.  I dont have any of this in writing.) I have now moved, handed back the keys and I am now being told that I need to give 4 weeks notice which I cannot afford. I hav e spoken to the council again explaining that I was told a week and that to be honest, if I knew they were going to charge me 4 weeks I would not have been able to move and would have stayed in the other house.  I thought I was doing the right thing. They said that calls are recorded and they asked me when I called in and was told a week and they would listen to the telephone conversation and if it was correct what I was told, they would see what they could do to reduce the notice period. They have now emailed me back and said that they have listened to the conversation and the lady said 4 weeks notice and I am liable for 4 weeks rent.  Now I may well of misheard her when I thought she said a full weeks notice she may have said 4 weeks notice but I am sure she said a full weeks notice and i was told a week by another member of staff a few weeks ago. I have emailed her back and said that I may of misheard but I would like to listen to the phone recording myself.  As yet they havent responded. I think its unreasonable for them to make me give 4 weeks when I had to sign the new tenancy with little notice or loose the property.  And it was all done through their gateway, and they will have a tenant in there pretty much straight away getting rent from them. I am on a very low income, I am on my own, I have serious medical issues and I am really getting myself stressed out over this. Any advice would be so appreciated.  Can I insist they let me listed to the recording? RH  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

I can't bear this..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5571 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there..

I need to get this all down, it feels like my head is swimming with it all and I'm feeling so run down and ill, I don't know what to do. Where to start?

1. I'm in alot of debt. Credit card debts, arrears on gas and electricity, council tax arrears, owe money to family, owe money to friends..

2. My personal bank account is over the overdraft limit and has been for months. I don't use it apart from to transfer the money to pay off the charges when I can - I'm getting charged over £100 a month on there. I rely on my business bank account for everything and it's currently £60 overdrawn with no authorised overdraft so the charges are mounting up on that one too. Ie. I have no money.

3. I have no income. I have a small business and a little shop. I did well over Christmas but not well enough, and everything has gone already on business expenses. Yesterday I didn't have one customer through the door. Today I made a few sales but I owe money to people I have sold goods for on sale or return so I have to save all the cash for this. It was only £30.00 today.

4. I can't afford food. I also filled my car with petrol yesterday but once that's gone it's gone. I travel 60 miles a day for work. I have a big multipack of crisps at work that I bought ages ago and I've been living on those.

5. I wrote to my creditors (credit cards) last week and offered £10.00 a month. One has replied asking for income and expenditure listing before they can accept. One has replied asking me to make a f&f settlement before going to a debt collection agency. The other hasn't replied yet. Two out of the three have banked the cheques though. I have no money left so won't even be able to keep up the payments.

6. My partner is a temp earning minimum wage. He was offered a permanent job 4 months ago but they are making every excuse possible not to give him a contract.

7. I have a £600 outstanding bill connected to my business. I've offered them £50 a month. I'm worried I won't be able to afford this next month unless I make some more sales.

8. My car tax is due at the end of the month.

9. We're fighting with our previous letting agency for return of the deposit. It's over £1000. The letting agency is blaming me for causing a damp problem which we complained about when we first moved in, and are generally being very rude. They have also said I was in breach of tenancy agreement as I have a business, but they did know about this from the start.

10. Our boiler is broken and most days we have to have cold showers. Our landlord was going to come and look at this but has been waiting for a part since before new year.

11. Today somebody broke into part of my shop. They can't get into the actual shop but I'm very scared about the security there now. I reported it to the police and have to go back in the morning so they can send an officer around. It appears that someone has sawn off the lock. Whoever it was also urinated on the floor. I will need to replace the lock but with what money?!

I got up this morning and was getting ready for work when I started crying like a baby. I feel like such a failure. I've worked so so hard on this business over the past year, harder than I've ever worked for anything. My boyfriend keeps telling me that I need to relax and I'm going to burn out as I keep stressing about everything, but I just can't see a way out right now.

Thank you for reading if you have got this far.. I hoped writing it all out would help but I don't feel that much better! I'm going to go and do some work now to try to take my mind off things. If anyone has any advice about anything it would be gratefully received.

xx

aww i really know how u feel have u tried contacting the citizens advice they are brilliant and will help u and write to ur creditors for u am in process of doing this..

really wish i could help more but i feel sick every mornin with worry but u will sort it u just need the right advice...

Thanks gloworm,

No I haven't contacted citizens advice. I contacted them probably about a year ago before my boyfriend got his temp job when we didn't have any food or anything, but they weren't very much help. I was trying to see if we were eligible for any benefits. The claiming process seems so complicated, but it's something I will have to tackle very soon because of the council tax arrears.

I'm glad I've found these forums.. it's horrible to read of the troubles so many people are experiencing, but it also helps a little to know that I'm not alone.

xxx

I'm no expert but I have floated around this site for a long while now and the advice here is second to none.

I think everyone will advise you first and foremost to list your debts here so people can advise.

List Credit cards - who with, how much , how old (how long have you been with them)

Loans - as above - detail secured and unsecured.

Hire purchase?

Your priorities are council tax, Utilities and food - everyone else can whistle until you have sorted those.

There is light at the end of the tunnel - stick around here and you will feel empowered to take these debts on - believe me.

List the debts - no one will be judgemental at all - no one will ask how/why you got into debt but those in the know will need to see/understand to be able to advice you correctly.

Good luck - we are all in this together and dare I say it - we are slowley winning!

Wow, that is a lot for one person, poor you. :-(

Ok, I'll help with what I can and I'm sure someone else will pick up the slack for the things I can't answer.

First of all, your partner is right. There is NO debt that is worth crying your heart out over or losing sleep over. You have to see your problems as lots of small or medium problems, not one big one or it will overwhelm you.

So:

1 - Personal bank account. Open a parachute account, even if it's a basic one and whatever money you have coming in, make it go into that, set up your income and outgoings in there. At that point, the other bank can keep piling as many charges as they want, that's their privilege. You can start the charges reclaiming process by claiming hardship, and see where that gets you. The main thing is that whether that succeeds or your claim gets stayed it not too important, the main thing is that whatever money you have coming in, you'll get your hands on before the bank does. Ok?

2 - Credit card debts: start the reclaiming process, I bet there's a lot of late and overlimit charges in there, and once you get these back, that will help your balance a good deal, I should think.

3 - gas and elec: How much in arrears are we talking about? Any risk they'll cut you off? You need to prioritise, so if you have to pay less on the CC to pay more on the utilities, so be it, these and your council tax and rent are the most important, everything else is not.

4 - Rent/Council Tax: Have you applied for housing benefit/council tax benefit? If not, do it asap, you might get pleasantly surprised.

5 - Letting agency: was your deposit in the protected deposit scheme? If it was, then you can go to town on them. If not (depending on when your tenancy agreement had started), then the fact is that they still shouldn't withhold a deposit without a very good reson and even then only what is essential, so I would suggest you send them a very sharp letter giving them 14 days to refund you or you'll take them to small claims, and follow that through. Time to grow some teeth, honey. ;-)

6 - Boiler: Chase up the landlord and tell him that if he doesn't get his @rse into gear, you'll expect compensation in the way of reduced rent for each day you have been without hot water.

7 - You MUST eat. Without fuel in you, you can not cope. It doesn't have to be foie gras and lobster every day. I normally wouldn't advise people to load on carbohydrates, but in your case, you need foods with a slow release mechanism, so porridge, bananas, pasta (wholemeal if you can), that kind of thing. Make sure you make time for breakfast in the morning, and cut down on the caffeine if you are having some. Listen: your credit cards are already behind, you might as well eat, what's a £30 shopping at Lidl going to make a difference to them? But it can mean the difference between health and illness to you, Take care of your body and it will you cope long term.

8 - The CC that's threatening you with a debt collector? Let them. Once they've sold the debt off to a DCA, you'll be able to fend off quite easily.

9 - Your partner: If they offered him a permanent job 4 mths ago, then they are legally obliged to provide him with a contract within 12 weeks of him becoming permanent. Tell him to chase up his HR dept about it.

I think that's all Auntie Bookworm has for you right now. Chin up. We'll help as much as we can.

Oh yes, I knew I was forgetting something: Your business account charges. The test case doesn't apply to business account, so start the reclaiming process there too.

Read the FAQs, read the step-by-step, start a thread for each of the institutions you're going to take on, call it "me v evil bank/credit card company/DCA" in the relevant forum, and use each thread to document your journey and ask questions as they arise. :-)

{{{HUGS}}}

PurplePerson.. you need professional advise on this as soon as possible. Make an appointment to go and see your local CAB chap/chapess or if you don't have the time then at least call the NationalDebtline and remember to feed yourself properly, the debts come after your health at all times despite what any creditor expects or wants from you. You come first.

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything

Are you entitled to working tax credit? You don't need to have a family these days to claim it.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Hi purpleperson so sorry you are feeling like this. Have you spoken to National Debtline? They offer really good advice and may be able to let you see there is light at the end of this very long tunnel. We have all been there (still are there!!) and with the help and support you will receive on here you will start to feel much better. I would pick off Bookworms points one by one and start doing them. Wishing you lots of luck, any help you need just shout. Honestly you will get bucketloads of support here. Keep your chin up:)

<<<If I have helped please tickle the scales;-)<<<

Oh, and I have just remembered one more thing: If you are not coping, and it sounds to me as if you're not, let's be clear on one thing: there is no shame in asking your GP for help.

Sometimes, it just takes a few months on tablets to get things back in perspective. It's ok, and it doesn't make you a failure. It's taken me a long time to accept this myself, and I am far too aware of the paralysing effect that depression can have. So it might be a good idea to go and see your Dr. He won't give you anything if he doesn't think you need it. And btw, if paying for prescriptions is an issue, you can apply for an NHS exemption certificate for people on low income. ;-)

• Haha 1

Hi Purple Person, feel for you sweetie. I was under a lot of stress myself 6 years ago and ended up having a breakdown. Was working full-time a midnight to seven shift for a solicitors in London had a 45 mile drive home. I was trying to look after two young children during the day, surviving on 2-3 hours sleep a day. I even started studying for a degree. Must've thought I was a machine. The father's children was an alcoholic and life was grim. One night I went to work and started crying and didn't stop for weeks. I couldn't write, I couldn't eat, I couldn't understand what people were saying to me. I'd just overloaded and that was it. I was very ill for a long time taking antidepressants, mood stabilisers, sleeping tablets, sessions with psychologists etc. Eventually I realised that had I asked for help when I first started to need it instead of battling on alone I wouldn't have had a breakdown. I was so weighed down but had always been a strong person and thought if I asked for help I'd be a failure. I separated from the childrens father which cost me £30k in legal fees as it was so acrimonious but my fantastic group of friends got me back on my feet. I still have ups and downs and when things start going to down hill I'll go back on my tablets for a couple of months until things pick up.

You'll have amazing support on hear. I'm dealing with about £65k of debt and sometimes wonder if I'll have the diesel to get the kids to school and I thank God for their free school meals. I've been tackling 15 credit/store/bank claims since October and have had made a nice headway into them all. Unfortunately I have a separate debt which isn't covered by the Consumer Credit Act and the creditor is applying for a charging order on my house. My solcitor has advised bankruptcy but we're not now sure if this can be done due to an interim charging order that's already been put on the property. I really don't want to go down the bankruptcy route as I've gone from feeling very low and dispirited about my debts to empowered after finding CAG. With all the information gleaned on CAG I'm starting to enjoy the battles with the banks and look at them as a challenge. I'll miss all that if I go bankrupt. Once you become more knowledgeable in the field you'll have the confidence to tell these creditors where to go.

With regard to your landlord if it was applicable at the time and he didn't lodge your deposit with one of the three deposit protection agencies he legally has to pay you compensation of 3 months deposit I believe as his forfiet for not lodging your deposit.

Well, if I go bankrupt due to the rotten charging order I will have time on my hands and will gladly help you in anyway I can. Hang in there flower, it does get better, I promise.

• Haha 1

Hi Purpleperson.

I just wanted to offer my support because you sound so desperate. You will survive this.

I speak from an expert vantage point :)

3 years ago my husband and me had to throw in the towel and ask for help. We went to the Consumer Credit Counselling Service (free advice) and we were £84000 in debt.

My husbnad died tragically last year and let me tell you, debt is not the worst thing that can happen in your life even though it feels like it at the time.

The people on this site will help every step of the wa. It is scary but just keep asking for advice.

I still have bad days when it all seems too much but I am still here and I can afford to eat!!

Make sure you look after you and your husband first and let your creditors go whistle. Like previous people have said...priority debts first and sort the others after.

They can't have what you haven't got.

Wow, I'm overwhelmed by all your replies, thank you so much for taking the time to write them!

Bookworm, your advice is great, thank you. I do have a parachute account but I don't use it yet, simply because I have no income to put into it! The problem I have with my overdrawn personal bank account is that it's with the same bank as I do my business banking with, so I don't want to start trying to claim back the charges etc in case it affects my business account, which I'm sure it will, as they usually close your accounts don't they? I've tried to change bank accounts for my business buy I was declined a different account, and I also have a merchant account (card processing machine) which would be expensive to cancel because of the lease. I hope that makes some sort of sense!

Re the letting agents, the deposit is registered with the dispute service, and I'm just waiting for one more reply from the agents to my last letter where I sent them proof that they knew about my business and had said that it was ok, plus a surveyors letter regarding the damp, confirming that we're not responsible for a structural problem. Will see what they say then I will ask the dispute service to deal with it.

I've been to the police this morning about the break in, next job is to call the landlord of the shop and find out who is responsible for repairing the door.

My boyfriend had a couple of pounds in his wallet so he gave them to me so I could buy some lunch today. That was really sweet of him. We had a silly argument this morning too. I think I'm scared that I will lose him too as everything else seems to be going wrong. I can't buy food on a credit card as all of the accounts have been closed now.

I contacted payplan last year, but they were unable to help me with a payment plan through them as my income wasn't enough to live on. They advised me to contact my creditors and offer £1.00 a month, and they said they would support me. All of my creditors refused and then payplan didn't return my calls when I called to ask them what to do next!

nuthatch, I'm so so sorry to hear that you lost your husband. My situation has been going on for a while, and towards the end of last year my Dad was diagnosed with cancer. As soon as I found out about that, nothing else mattered at that time, so I do know what you mean. That's something I should try to hold on to as well, when everything gets on top of me.

I'm about £300 in arrears with the electricity and gas. I set up a budget plan where I'm supposed to pay £50 per month but I've missed two months so will owe £150 this month. That's to pay the charges and the arrears I think.. I'm not sure..

misscynical I'm sorry to hear about your breakdown, sounds like you were under so much pressure it was inevitable :-( That's how I got into this situation really. I put myelf under so much pressure, working full time plus setting up my business to support myself and my boyfriend as he was out of work for a year. Then it all went wrong and I got signed off, and my income went down to just SSP, then one month I got nothing because they had overpaid me. My other half didn't work so of course thats when I started being unable to pay all the bills, and that's how this started. It has just spiralled now, as even though we both work, we just don't earn enough, especially me. I couldn't go back to my job because of the depression, that's why I started my own business, rather than go onto benefits.

I'm going to be writing all day if I don't stop soon, but thank you so much again for your replies.

Purpleperson you sound such a caring person and your story is very like mine.

Have you spoken to National Debtline? They can often help when Payplan and CCCS can't.

You can do your own Debt Management Plan..I did one many many years ago.

Remember the only bills you have to pay as a prioority are your rent, council tax and utilities.

The banks can jump up and down as much as they like.

Start your bank charges reclaiming..it won't really matter because the banks will just keep piling charges on and eventually close them. I haven't got any advice about your business debts but National Debtline have a section that deals with that as well.

I think your brain is on overload.

If you get horrible phone calls change your telephone number....we did and it was bliss or use the template letter on CAG to tell them to stop.

Good luck.

• Haha 1

Thank you nuthatch x

I haven't spoken to National Debtline, I will have to give them a call. My main issue is the income, because it's not as though I have any income to distribute to creditors or utilities people, I'm not making any money at the moment. I'm in work right now, sitting in a lovely shop, and I haven't had anyone come through the door all morning.

The business itself isn't in debt apart from that one £600 bill I mentioned, oh and the unauthorised overdraft of £60 right now. It's just that my business banking is with Lloyds, as is my pesonal banking, and I don't want them to close down my business account.

Amazingly, I haven't had any phone calls from dcas for the past week! It's very strange, it's since I sent those letters. Although I haven't had a reply from Barclaycard/Mercers, they have also stopped calling me. They didn't stop calling last time I wrote to them though.

I agree that my brain is overloaded, so much so that I'm not really dealing with anything, rather just stressing about it all instead!

Purpleperson, your story is really heart breaking and puts a lot of things in perspective, i'm sure not just for me, but for everyone reading this.

You've already got a lot of good advice from people, I myself found myself in a situation where I had more money going out in debts than I did coming in, but thanks almost entirely to the good people on this site, I have claimed ALL of my charges back and almost entirely cleaned my credit history, so every cloud does have a silver lining, believe me.

I would definitely start on the case of reclaiming as much of the charges as you can, it's a lengthy process admittedly, but you'll get a lot of capital back in the long run and more importantly, you may even be able to stop any further late payments and such being applied to your accounts, which may help.

One question though, which may seem a bit bleak in all honesty. Your shop, obviously it means a lot to you, but could you not close it briefly, and find some other temporary work just to get some money in? Like everyone has said, look after number one first, if that means closing up for a little while to get yourself sorted, that could be the answer. If you're not bringing in enough income to cover your costs, you need to think logically.

What kind of a shop is it by the way? If it's a sweet shop, i'll be right there!

• Haha 1

NatWest - WON! £3350 Paid back

Vodafone - Default removed

Citicards - Judgement awarded for £1898, default remains though...for now....

Capital One- WON! Settled out of Court £392 + Default Removal!

Thanks for your reply Mkandy.

I managed to get myself feeling more positive this afternoon, then I got home to a letter from my business manager to tell me my debit card has been blocked. Apparently they have tried to contact me but I haven't received any messages. As I said, the phone has been very quiet this week. (No it hasn't been cut off, personal calls and texts are still getting through!) Cue floods of tears again and apologising to my boyfriend for being a failure. I called the number on the letter and they said I have to call back on Monday morning and speak to my business manager.

Closing the shop. It's crossed my mind, but I'm in contracts for my card processing machine and my business broadband which i need to keep paying, if I cancel I have to pay the entire contract in one go. I've only been open a few months and people are just starting to know about me, if I was to close I would lose my few regular customers too, and it would look really bad. But it might have to come to that I suppose.

I know how my business account got into such a mess, it was me trying to start paying off debts. The £10.00 cheques I sent to my credit card providers, plus a £40 cheque to readers union to get their dca off my back (although it bounced, I would have been better off not paying it), then my quarterly (I hope it's quarterly!) direct debit to BT for the business line etc.. it all took me overdrawn by £60.00. Now they have added a £70 charge on top for the bounced cheques. And there are more cheques out there which will also bounce. I have a little bit of cash in the til now, but I can't pay it into the bank as I need it for petrol to get to work next week, and to pay someone who I owe for sale or return goods.

I've got a few big orders hopefully on their way which will help, I need to keep focused on work so I can do these. That's what got me through today, focusing on work. I love my job, and I don't mind that I work almost every waking hour, I just wish my business was working. I'm not so sure it is, and to close my business would mean going bankrupt, as I would have to pay to get out of contracts.

I can't do anything about my bank charges yet, but I guess I can start looking at the credit cards, as I am unable to carry on with my £10.00 a month offer - look at where that has got me! I knew I couldn't afford it but I still posted those cheques, and now I'm in an even worse mess!!

It is a bad time to have a new(ish) business that's for sure. You haven't told us what you are selling in your shop. OH and I have been self employed for 15 years and we have been through some tough times to say the least.

I would suggest you give up on the bank and start dealing entirely in cash. Charges and all that rubbish can be sorted out later, as can the credit cards. You need the money firstly to live and secondly to try and keep the shop going, as long as it seems to be viable.

I know from bitter personal experience during foot and mouth back in 2001 that all the government help was kicked into touch for struggling businesses - our bank took the view that we were overdrawn when F&M affected us so we were not in a good position to start with, therefore they would not help us. We survived, but no thanks to government or banks.

You need to get those cards down to £1 a month, or send them CCA requests. If they can't find a copy of your agreement then you can kiss them goodbye and get on with your life.

We have run our business for love more than money for many years, and it is a tough decision to make. I know many other people in similar situations, but maybe you need to take a step back and think whether the pleasure you get from having the business is outweighed by the pain you are suffering.

BANK CHARGES

Others

Thanks Goldlady. I definitely run my business for love rather than money! The business has been running for just over a year, and I expanded into a retail premises just a few months before Christmas. Strangely enough, my opening day was the day before the 'global recession' hit the headlines. It was never going to be easy after that!

I'm glad to hear that your business survived. When I'm not too busy despairing of eveything I do have some confidence in my business, and I'm willing to work as hard as it takes. If hard work will even get me through at the moment. I run an art/craft/gift shop. Started up, as I think I've said in my ramblings, after I had to give up my job due to depression. The love of my work got me through that, so it's very special to me, more than just a job. (Although isn't a job supposed to earn you money by definition?)

Well I had that argument with the inland revenue a few years ago regarding a client who had made losses for a few years but loved what she was doing. The man in the suit with the guaranteed salary and the pension scheme was convinced she was fiddling and just could not understand anyone working to make a loss. He reduced her to tears - stupid stupid man.

If it is what you want to do then persevere. Life is all about dreams and very few people get to live them. But you need your partner's support, and I am sure you do have that.

You are a Cagger now. You will get help to rebuild your strength. You had the strength to start your business, now all you need is to regain that and keep fighting.

• Haha 1

BANK CHARGES

Others

Thank you again goldlady, that's a lovely message. I'm working tonight on the creative side of things and it's helping me to feel better. Will have to stop and go to bed soon so will try not to let all those nasty thoughts creep in so I can get an ok night's sleep.

My partner is very supportive, he is a calming influence and keeps me going. He isn't in any debt himself, everything is in my name, which is a bad thing and a good thing in some respects. He always says that it's both of us though, as it was because I supported us both for a year that we, or I, got into so much debt. I filled in so many forms for benefits over that time, but he was too proud, so I never sent them off. It's caused a great deal of arguments but we seem to be in a better place now, and he's said that he is happy for me to look into benefits now, but I'm still not quite sure where to start..

Hi PP, just checking in to see how you're doing.

"I agree that my brain is overloaded, so much so that I'm not really dealing with anything, rather just stressing about it all instead!"

I have days like this too but my psychologist taught me a little trick. She'd ask me what I'd been up to in the week since I'd seen her and I'd say "Oh... I didn't manage to do this", "I couldn't do that". Then she'd ask me what did I manage to do?... and once I took a few minutes to think about it I realised I'd achieved quite a lot even if they weren't the things I'd intended doing. Because I hadn't done the things I'd planned to do I felt I was failing. You really don't sound like your sitting around doing little. You're facing up to this which is very brave and your trying to find solutions. Hang on to your health, sanity and (oh, your fab partner:)). A few tears and 'words' are par for the course in this stressful situation but you'll get there!

I took a four inch folder which was full to overflowing to my solicitor today to start bankruptcy proceedings. I don't feel that I've failed, I've fought longer and harder than most people could have. There's hardly any stigma to it nowadays as thousands are going down this route now in this climate. I've weighed up all the pros and cons in my personal situation and its the best option for me. I've saved 3 quid on buying a new folder for the rest of the correspondence that would've rolled in from my 15+ claims, I now have room in my filing tray and I've saved on postage. I laughed when I added these to my mental 'pros' column.

If it wasn't for the impending Charging Order on my house I would've battled on but the interest the claimant was adding per month was more than my Disability Living Allowance. Hopefully I'll keep my house and a roof over the kids heads.

I'd love to have had a gift shop and I really admire you for the courage you had in bringing this to fruition. If it struggles through the recession you should be home and dry. If it doesn't... you've done it once and you can do it again.

Hugs and hang on in there. MissC

PS If you claim bank charges on your business account I don't think the bank is allowed to close your account when it's in dispute and they're not supposed to 'disadvantage' (or something like that!) you because you've had cause to complain. I guess it doesn't always stop them tho. Keep reading and digesting but try limiting the hours you spend on here - vicious circle I know cos I could sit here until the early hours reading CAG and then I wonder why, on top of everything else, my energy levels have depleted!!

Edited by Misscynical

PP, I just saw you're post about benefits. I'm not sure what position you're partner is in ie. work etc but would you be entitled to working tax credit? It's not only for people with children and might be one of the quickest benefits to apply for.

It took me 18 months to get maintenance through the CSA. I've also appealed for the last 3 years against £11k of overpayments from the Tax Credit Office even though I kept them up to date of my working situation, figures, benefits etc. They said I was classed as employed because although I was off sick I had a contract for 37.5 hours a week and was being paid under a insurance policy through work. When I was made redundant I told them that I was no longer entitled to Working Tax Credit as my contract had been terminated due to medical reasons. I said that I only wanted to claim Child Tax Benefit but they said I'd really been unemployed since 2003 as I'd been getting Incapacity Benefit. The insurance company paid me my salary minus the Incapacity Benefit element as it was one of the terms of the policy that I had to claim it. The TCO ignored this completely and hit me with a bill for £11k. I never got to the bottom of it and have added to the pile of creditors - not my problem any more. Deep joy:)

I applied again for Disability Living Allowance in June 2007 after a review of my Incapacity Benefit and evidence from my doctor and consultants. It was refused but I appealed against it and finally in December 2008 after going to a Tribunal I was awarded it. It took 8 weeks to get the backdated payments but I did get there eventually.

The government bodies and banks etc can make it very difficult for the little people but with grim determination....

Have you tried for council tax benefit?

If you kept copies of any of the benefit forms you filled in before, it might not be so daunting just to update the information and copy it over onto new forms?

Enjoy your weekend:)

Just checking to see how you are doing Purpleperson.

You have a lot to think about and deal with at the moment but don't forget to think about "you".

I know how easy it is to become overwhelmed and think there is no solution when you are deep in the middle of it all.

Goldlady has given a lot of sensible advice.

Hang in there.

Purple.... it does improve, I promise.

We lost our business eventually in March last year, and in May the house (home to 5 kids) was repossessed. We went into a temporary B & B until I got a private rental.

As soon as we moved in the bailiffs started calling.

Its still stressful but life is improving slowly.

I had a question for you. Are you a Ltd company or a sole trader?

Rachie xx