• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Liz v Barclays - Mercantile Court **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6346 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Draft letter below to the OFT, following my case being moved to the mercantile court. Any comments before I send it

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing today regarding my claim against Barclays Bank PLC regarding the penalty charges applied to my account unfairly.

Following a report by you (OFT) regarding bank charges I followed the route of claiming the monies taken unlawfully from my account via the Small Claims Court. I have now been informed that my case has been transferred the London Mercantile Court at Lambeth County Courts own initiative.

Not only my I extremely worried regarding this turn of events, but also now have the added financial risk, which is applicable at a Mercantile Court, which is not relevant at the Small Claim Court level.

The fact remains that you the OFT should be taking responsibility and dealing with the banks regarding the penalties they apply to account holders and should not be leaving it to individuals such as myself to bear the burden, both emotionally and financially.

Barclays Bank Plc are applying a penalty regime against me and many others which is contrary to UTCCR 1999 and I now write formally to complain about Barclay Bank Plc and request that you investigate my complaint fully and bring a case against the banks at your costs rather than shun your responsibly to consumers by passing the buck and leaving people such as myself in situations of extreme stress and risk, when you have both power and resources needed to take the Banks to Court and ensure that they do not unfairly apply penalties.

I have also today written to the London Mercantile Court explaining that you, the OFT, should be bearing any costs involved in my case as you have both the power and resources to do so.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXXX

Just finishing letter to court will ask for comments soon

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Letter to court, any comments before i send it would be appreciated

Dear XXXX

Case number XXXXX

I write with regard to your letter dated 31st August 2006, that I receive from the Lambeth County Court transferring my case to the London Mercantile Court, on the courts own initiative without a hearing.

For your records I would like to advise that I am acting in person, do not have a lot of money and cannot afford to employee the legal representatives needed at a Mercantile Court to represent my case properly and would like to enquire what provisions there are available to me.

I must stress that I believe in the justice of my case and so have little choice but to bear the burden, if there are no court provisions available for my use, but would like to make it clear at this time that the burden of any cost should ultimately be borne by the Office of Fair Trading, who have both the power and the resources needed to bring the necessary test case against the banks and have today written to them regarding this.

For your information I am also writing to both the FSA and my local MP regarding my case.

Yours sincerely

Liz, don't send it just yet. Have a look at this thread: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions/7223-sandy-gmac-rfc-2.html

Also, I'm alerting Zootscoot to your thread, as she has some good advice for this situation.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Hi Robert and Liz,

This is a little different to Sandy v GMAC, with Sandy it was Gmac that wanted the case transferred to the fast track, however, for Liz it is a transfer to the Mercantile court at the request of the court. I'll arrange for this thread to be transferred to the Mercantile Court section in the general forum.

Will have a look at the letter in a short while.

All the best

Zoot

I think your letters are fine. (a few typos and grammatical errors in red). I think if I added any legal arguments it would rather undermine your plea of being an individual forced to fight the lawyers in the big court! A couple of suggested modifications below.

I think general opinion regarding the transfer of cases to the mercantile court is that either you will get a pay out pretty soon or you will become famous and get on TV for beating the banks. Either way you can get your hair done! Lol

All the best

Zoot

Draft letter below to the OFT, following my case being moved to the mercantile court. Any comments before I send it

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing today regarding my claim against Barclays Bank PLC regarding the penalty charges applied to my account unfairly. Claim no XXXXXX Mercantile court, London

Following a report by you (OFT) regarding bank charges, I followed the route of claiming the monies taken unlawfully from my account via the Small Claims Court. I have now been informed that my case has been transferred the London Mercantile Court at Lambeth County Courts own initiative.

Not only am I extremely worried regarding this turn of events, but also now have the added financial risk, which is applicable at a Mercantile Court, which is not relevant at the Small Claim Court level.

The fact remains that you the OFT should be taking responsibility and dealing with the banks regarding the penalties they apply to account holders and should not be leaving it to individuals such as myself to bear the burden, both emotionally and financially.

Barclays Bank Plc are applying a penalty regime against me and many others which is contrary to UTCCR 1999. I now write formally to complain about Barclay Bank Plc. I request that you investigate my complaint fully and bring a case against the banks at your costrather than shun your responsibility to consumers. This passing the buck and leaving people, such as myself, in situations of extreme stress and risk is unacceptable when you have both power and resources needed to take the Banks to Court and ensure that they do not unfairly apply penalties.

I have also today written to the London Mercantile Court explaining that you, the OFT, should be bearing any costs involved in my case as you have both the power and resources to do so.

Yours sincerely

xxxxx

Dear XXXX

Case number XXXXX

I write with regard to your letter dated 31st August 2006 regarding the transfer of my case to the London Mercantile Court, on the courts own initiative without a hearing.

For your records I would like to advise that I am acting in person. I do not have a lot of money and cannot afford to employee the legal representatives needed at a Mercantile Court to represent my case properly and would like to enquire what provisions there are available to me.

I would like to point out that I am a consumer and in bringing my claim I believed that my case would be dealt with by the small claims court specifically designed to help individuals like myself to achieve justice. I had not anticipated that the claim would be passed to the Mercantile Court and feel that your decision to do so is unfair. Furthermore I feel that I should at least have been consulted in the decision where I could have made my position clear.

The prospect of taking on a huge financial institution with a team of specilist lawyers is daunting in the extreme, however, I must stress that I believe in the justice of my case and so have little choice but to bear the burden which could place myself and my family under huge financial and emotional distress. I would like to make my feelings clear at this time that the burden of any cost should ultimately be borne by the Office of Fair Trading, who have both the power and the resources needed to bring the necessary test case against the banks. I have today written to them regarding this.

For your information I am also writing to both the FSA and my local MP regarding my case.

Yours Faithfully

xxxx

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing today regarding my claim against Barclays Bank PLC regarding the penalty charges applied to my account unfairly. Claim no XXXXXX Mercantile court, London

Following a report by you (OFT) regarding bank charges, I followed the route of claiming the monies taken unlawfully from my account via the Small Claims Court. I have now been informed that my case has been transferred to the London Mercantile Court at Lambeth County Courts own initiative.

Not only am I extremely worried regarding this turn of events, but also now have the added financial risk, which is applicable at a Mercantile Court, which is not relevant at the Small Claim Court level.

The fact remains that you, the OFT, should be taking responsibility and dealing with the banks regarding the penalties they apply to account holders and should not be leaving it to individuals such as myself to bear the burden, both emotionally and financially.

Barclays Bank Plc are applying a penalty regime against me and many others which is contrary to UTCCR 1999. I now write formally to complain about Barclay Bank Plc. I request that you investigate my complaint fully and bring a case against the banks at your cost rather than shun your responsibility to consumers. This passing the buck and leaving people, such as myself, in situations of extreme stress and risk is unacceptable when you have both power and resources needed to take the Banks to Court and ensure that they do not unfairly apply penalties.

Yours sincerely

xxxxx

Dear XXXX

Case number XXXXX

I write with regard to your letter dated 31st August 2006 regarding the transfer of my case to the London Mercantile Court, on the courts own initiative without a hearing.

For your records I would like to advise that I am acting in person. I do not have a lot of money and cannot afford to employ the legal representatives needed at a Mercantile Court to represent my case properly and would like to enquire what provisions there are available to me.

I would like to point out that I am a consumer and in bringing my claim I believed that my case would be dealt with by the small claims court specifically designed to help individuals like myself to achieve justice. I had not anticipated that the claim would be passed to the Mercantile Court and feel that your decision to do so is unfair. Furthermore I feel that I should at least have been consulted in the decision where I could have made my position clear.

The prospect of taking on a huge financial institution with a team of specilist lawyers is daunting in the extreme, however, I must stress that I believe in the justice of my case and so have little choice but to bear the burden which could place myself and my family under huge financial and emotional distress. I would like to make my feelings clear at this time that the burden of any cost should ultimately be borne by the Office of Fair Trading, who have both the power and the resources needed to bring the necessary test case against the banks. I have today written to them regarding this.

Yours Faithfully

xxxx

I have made a couple of corrections which I think are correct highlighted in red , hope that helps.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Thank Glenn & Zoot for the corrections to my letter, they will be sent lunchtime.

Zoot, how did you know I need a hair cut ??, problem is until I get my money back from Barclays its on hold, hedge and backwards rings a bell

Lyzn, I would just copy and paste if I were you, might be worth checking with Zoot as may be able to give you better advise than me

Good luck and I will keep you all updated

Liz.

Hi Liz, following with great interest as just about to embark on a similar journey.

You and all the others going to court are an inspiration to others. I to would feel daunted about going to the Mercantile Court so I know how you feel.

Good luck girl I'm right behind you.

Sean28

Sean28

I'll second that we're all routing for you!

how did you know I need a hair cut ??,

Doesn't matter if you need one or not every girl loves to have her hair done! For the banks lawyers, however, they better get one last hair cut becuase they'll have pulled it all out by the time you've finished with them!

Lyzn, I would just copy and paste if I were you, might be worth checking with Zoot

Its your call Liz you wrote it!

Best of luck to you both. You must be terrified. Just shout if you need any help.

Zoot

Hi all

Have been following this thread with interest as I too am tackling Barclays and in a similar postion. Liz, I too was assigned to Lambeth CC but low and behold I got the following in the post today :-

---------------------------

To all parties

As a result of an order made on 11 September 2006, this claim has been transferred to the Central London County Court.

Short but to the point... don't know if your's was the straw that broke the camel's back or not...

Am willing to take a day off should you need some support (i'm sure half this forum would be keen to be honest) but let's hope it doesn't get that far...

Hi all

Have been following this thread with interest as I too am tackling Barclays and in a similar postion. Liz, I too was assigned to Lambeth CC but low and behold I got the following in the post today :-

To all parties

As a result of an order made on 11 September 2006, this claim has been transferred to the Central London County Court.

Short but to the point... don't know if your's was the straw that broke the camel's back or not...

Am willing to take a day off should you need some support (i'm sure half this forum would be keen to be honest) but let's hope it doesn't get that far...

Hang on though. Is that exactly what you received? Doesn't say Mercantile Court, it says Central London County Court. Could it be that it's still in the County Court circuit but has been transferred to the defendants "home" court?

Can you check and confirm one way or t'other please? :)

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

the above letter is exactly word for word what i recieved from Lambeth CC.

I'm presuming this is the one, as it states it's a Mercantile Court:-

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/HMCSCourtFinder/Search.do?court_id=145

Sarajane, Liz - Is this where you're been sent?

Sarajane - No haven't got a date set yet - the only information I have is what was stated in my post.

the above letter is exactly word for word what i recieved from Lambeth CC.

I'm presuming this is the one, as it states it's a Mercantile Court:-

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/HMCSCourtFinder/Search.do?court_id=145

Sarajane, Liz - Is this where you're been sent?

Sarajane - No haven't got a date set yet - the only information I have is what was stated in my post.

OK, but does the letter you received actually state that it's been transferred to the Mercantile Court?

If it just says to the county court then it's not the Mercantile Court. Court buildings have several different classes of court sitting in them, for example the Worcester County Court is in the same building as the Crown Court. So the Mercantile court can be in the same building as the County Court.

I think from what you say that you have been transferred in location only at the banks request. Ring the court and check.

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

Pete,

I got exactly the same letter from my local court but attached to it was an order stating London Mercantile Court. I didn't think anything of it at the time. But I have got a letter from Mercantile Court, to be sure :D .

When I went to my local court to hand in a letter, they gave me an address for Central London County Court & it has a different address.

Sara

Hmmm - only got the one sheet in my letter and is about as vague as my original post. Just tried Lambeth then but they never seem to pick up the phone there for some reason (probably too busy in the post room). Will just have to await to recieve more information or may try Central London County Court within a couple of days if I don't hear anything. Just seems a bit odd to refer it to another County Court when Lambeth is a London borough anyhow...

I posted my claim via moneyonline, they allocated it to Lambeth then I got the letter from Lambeth saying it had been transferred to the London Mercantile.

I have not heard anything since, waiting to hear from the Merantile court, with a date for the case management etc etc

Liz, Fate,

How do you feel about 'grouping' together?

I had 7 days to reply to local courts order for transfer, I did reply - but it was transferred anyway :o . Mercantile wrote with new Folio number within 7 days.

As long as Lambeth hasn't mislaid any paperwork, I would assume the same time period for you both. Liz I would have thought you'd have a date by now & hopefully, Fate, you'll get yours before 2nd October.

Bankfodder has suggested that he thinks they will be heard together.

Yeah, sounds like a plan.

That's if mine is Mercantile as Pete seems to think it may not be but it just seems a bit too coincidental that two different cases against Barclays at Lambeth have been transferred within days of each other - I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to make sure (offices are closed now). Will let you know as soon as I know myself.

Liz Save me a seat please

J

You may think that but . . ......

Total repaid to date £1947.58

Lloyds Currrent a/c £745.27

Moneyclaim filed 17th June

Defence and AQ 25th July. Case struck out 11 Aug

reinstated and hearing 15th Jan 2007

Lloyds loan a/c D A request expired 19th June

Proceedings under S7 Data Protection Act issued 29th June defence and counterclaim 27 July

Hearing Jan 3 2007

Listed final hearing April 2007-

Judge declared an interest and disqualified himself

new date to be set