• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Response to our Egg CCA request - Please Help !

cosalt
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5301 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical Egg agreement. It is unenforcable becasue it doesn't have the prescreibed terms. It should have a term telling you what your credit limit is. Instead you have an approved limit - whatever that is. That is meaningless and does not comply with teh Consumer Crdit Act 1974 and its associated regulations.

• Haha 1

Typical Egg agreement. It is unenforcable becasue it doesn't have the prescreibed terms. It should have a term telling you what your credit limit is. Instead you have an approved limit - whatever that is. That is meaningless and does not comply with teh Consumer Crdit Act 1974 and its associated regulations.

Thanks so much, TBH I thought it looked ok, I did notice the heading was wrong - should read 'Credit Card Agreement' not 'Credit Agreement'

Any idea what sort of letter I should send in response, or should I do nothing. This account is now with 'Collect Direct' not egg.

Cosalt :)

I would write and tell Collect Direct that Egg have "provided you with a copy agreement which does not compply with s61(1) of the CCA 1974 and te associated regulations and is therefore only enforceable by an order of the court by virtue of s65. However, since it does not have a term concerning the credit limit (rather, it defines an "Approved Limit" - whatever that is) as required by Schedule 6 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983, the court would be prevented from granting such an order by virtue of s127(3)".

Attach a copy of the agreement that Egg sent.

You could offer them a few quid in full and final settlement as a gesture of goodwill (they wil have bought it from Egg for about 20p in the £1). If you have a default associated with this, you should add that you expect that CD will remove the default as required by the Data Protection Act 1984 since it is obviously incorrect as no agreement existed between you and Egg. Tell them that, ifthey refuse, you will commence court proceedings against them undser s14 of the DPA 1984.

How about this:-

Dear CD

Thank you for you letter dated XXXXXX, unfortunately egg have provided you with a copy agreement which does not compply with s61(1) of the CCA 1974 and the associated regulations and is therefore only enforceable by an order of the court by virtue of s65. However, since it does not have a term concerning the credit limit (rather, it defines an "Approved Limit" - whatever that is) as required by Schedule 6 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983, the court would be prevented from granting such an order by virtue of s127(3)

As a measure of goodwill I would be prepared to offer the sum of £2000 in full and final settlement of this account on the basis that you remove any default that you have registered with any credit reference agency as required by the Data Protection Act 1984 since it is obviously incorrect as no agreement existed between you and Egg. If you refuse, you will commence court proceedings against them under s14 of the Data Protection Act 1984.

I look forward to your favourable reply within the next seven days.

Cosalt

The a balance is actually about £12.5K I just though we would offer them that. If they accepted it would I then be able to offer them say £100 for 20 months ?

Thanks

Cosalt

How about this:-

Dear CD

Thank you for you letter dated XXXXXX, unfortunately egg have provided you with a copy agreement which does not compply with s61(1) of the CCA 1974 and the associated regulations and is therefore only enforceable by an order of the court by virtue of s65. However, since it does not have a term concerning the credit limit (rather, it defines an "Approved Limit" - whatever that is) as required by Schedule 6 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983, the court would be prevented from granting such an order by virtue of s127(3)

As a measure of goodwill I would be prepared to offer the sum of £2000 in full and final settlement of this account on the basis that you remove any default that you have registered with any credit reference agency as required by the Data Protection Act 1984 since it is obviously incorrect as no agreement existed between you and Egg. If you refuse, you will commence court proceedings against them under s14 of the Data Protection Act 1984.

I look forward to your favourable reply within the next seven days.

Cosalt

The a balance is actually about £12.5K I just though we would offer them that. If they accepted it would I then be able to offer them say £100 for 20 months ?

Thanks

Cosalt

Might it be better to state you will pay them monthly? Instead of saying 2k as a goodwill gesture, which suggests you will pay them a lump sum of 2k :)

I could be wrong..

Ok, so are you suggesting it would be best that I not offer them anything at present, and maybe see what they come back with in defence of my claim that the agreement is not enforceable ?

Sorry to barge in on this thread but I think its also relevant to mine a little further down. I think my agreement is unenforceable for the same reason but would like some advice if possible. My debt is still with Egg, would the letter above be suitable for me to send them if I adapt it slightly?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/egg/175717-egg-cca-questions.html

There is also a thread for my Egg loan if anyone is able to check the agreement and see if it looks ok (pretty please) :)

How about this ?

Dear CD

Thank you for you letter dated XXXXXX, unfortunately egg have provided you with a copy agreement which does not comply with s61(1) of the CCA 1974 and the associated regulations and is therefore only enforceable by an order of the court by virtue of s65. However, since it does not have a term concerning the credit limit (rather, it defines an "Approved Limit" - whatever that is) as required by Schedule 6 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983, the court would be prevented from granting such an order by virtue of s127(3)

I trust you will now be in a position to reduce the balance on this account to £0 and remove any default that you have registered with any credit reference agency as required by the Data Protection Act 1984 since it is obviously incorrect as no agreement existed between me and Egg. If you refuse, I will commence court proceedings against you under s14 of the Data Protection Act 1984.

I look forward to your favourable reply within the next fourteen days.

Cosalt

DNs are issued and notified to CRAs by Egg. CD have no involvement in this. Some go after Egg, others tackle the CRAs for publishing allegedly untrue info. Far from easy.

Thanks so should I say they should ask egg to remove the default markers or just not bother mentioning that at all ?

Thanks so should I say they should ask egg to remove the default markers or just not bother mentioning that at all ?

If I were you, I would definitely be mentioning that you want the Default removed by EGG - the debts aren't half as much as a problem as the Defaults. In my humble opinion, anyway :)

Thanks everyone, no amended to this, any good ?

Dear CD

Thank you for you letter dated XXXXXX, unfortunately egg have provided you with a copy agreement which does not comply with s61(1) of the CCA 1974 and the associated regulations and is therefore only enforceable by an order of the court by virtue of s65. However, since it does not have a term concerning the credit limit (rather, it defines an "Approved Limit" - whatever that is) as required by Schedule 6 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983, the court would be prevented from granting such an order by virtue of s127(3)

I trust you will now be in a position to reduce the balance on this account to £0 and request EGG to remove any default that has registered with any credit reference agency as required by the Data Protection Act 1984 since it is obviously incorrect as no agreement existed between me and Egg. If you refuse, I will commence court proceedings against you under s14 of the Data Protection Act 1984.

Cosalt

You write in a tone suggesting you almost believe CD are gentlemen. :rolleyes:

Not sure what you are reffering to?

What do you suggest I send then, something along the lines of-

' get stuffed, I am not paying you a penny, I hope you suffer a nasty accident '

:confused:

Hi, could somebody possibly confirm that this part of the letter as underlined below refers to the incorrect heading on the agreement.

If so I think we have established in other threads that this only applies to post 2005 agreements ?

Thanks

Dear CD

I trust you will now be in a position to reduce the balance on this account to £0 and request EGG to remove any default that has registered with any credit reference agency as required by the Data Protection Act 1984 since it is obviously incorrect as no agreement existed between me and Egg. If you refuse, I will commence court proceedings against you under s14 of the Data Protection Act 1984.

Cosalt

cosalt

Am I missing something, or do you mean "pre 2005", not "post 2005"?

Hi, no I do mean 'post 2005'

I think we have established on another thread that the heading 'credit card agreement' is only required on agreements after 2005. Earlier ones can say 'credit agreement'

Here is the link-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/173059-credit-agreement-credit-card.html

Bit of a bummer as I was depending on that in defence of some of my agreements :mad:

Davefirewalkers poston that thread is the important one. Having the wrong heading would make the agreement not properly executed but it would not make it unenforceable.

Enforceability (for agreements signed before Dec 2006) depends on only 2 things - having an agreement with your signature and having an agreement with the prescribed terms. After 2006, you have to persuade a judge on a case-by-case basis.

Davefirewalkers poston that thread is the important one. Having the wrong heading would make the agreement not properly executed but it would not make it unenforceable.

Enforceability (for agreements signed before Dec 2006) depends on only 2 things - having an agreement with your signature and having an agreement with the prescribed terms. After 2006, you have to persuade a judge on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks Steven, I understand it pretty clearly now.

In the case of my agreement, it means that CD would have to take me to court in order to enforce the agreement because the heading is wrong, however the court can not enforce it because it is missing a prescribed term ie: nowhere does it say 'credit limit' 'approved limit' could mean anything, a limit to how many times I can use it, a limit to the types of things I can buy with it, a limit to when I can use it etc etc etc.

I will now send the letter as per earlier post and see what argument CD come back with. :)

Edited by cosalt
Spelt your name wrong, sorry !

Hi cosalt – it would refer to any error in the agreement – no credit limit or statement to that affect would make it improperly executed as well because a prescribed term is missing or incorrectly stated. It just so happens that the term ‘Credit limit’ is a prescribed term regarding s127(3) as well.