• Tweets

• Thank-you dx for your feedback. That is the reason I posted my opinion, because I am trying to learn more and this is one of the ways to learn, by posting my opinions and if I am incorrect then being advised of the reasons I am incorrect. I am not sure if you have educated me on the points in my post that would be incorrect. However, you are correct on one point, I shall refrain from posting on any other thread other than my own going forward and if you think my post here is unhelpful, misleading or in any other way inappropriate, then please do feel obliged to delete it but educate me on the reason why. To help my learning process, it would be helpful to know what I got wrong other than it goes against established advice considering the outcome of a recent court case on this topic that seemed to suggest it was dismissed due to an appeal not being made at the first stage. Thank-you.   EDIT:  Just to be clear, I am not intending to go against established advice by suggesting that appeals should ALWAYS be made, just my thoughts on the particular case of paying for parking and entering an incorrect VRN. Also, I continue to be grateful for any advice you give on my own particular case.  
    • you can have your humble opinion.... You are very new to all this private parking speculative invoice game you have very quickly taken it upon yourself to be all over this forum, now to the extent of moving away from your initial thread with your own issue that you knew little about handling to littering the forum and posting on numerous established and existing threads, where advice has already been given or a conclusion has already resulted, with your theories conclusions and observations which of course are very welcomed. BUT... in some instances, like this one...you dont quite match the advice that the forum and it's members have gathered over a very long consensual period given in a tried and trusted consistent mannered thoughtful approach. one could even call it forum hi-jacking and that is becoming somewhat worrying . dx
    • Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕 The more I read this forum and the more I engage with it's incredible users, the more I learn and the more my knowledge expands. If my case gets to court, the Judge will dismiss it after I utter my first sentence, and you DCBL and Highview don't even know why .... OMG! .... So excited to get to court!
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

jad vs First Direct

jad
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6446 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sent my DPA request on 8th July, recorded post.

Nothing heard yet, post not signed for, but I believe that might be common

when sending to First Direct.

I will be writing to them reminding them of the 40 day

period for response.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep us posted.........

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I chased FD on 25th July, because I had heard nothing. They claim never to have received the original DPA request.

Someone in the Data Provision Team then told me via electronic messaging (on internet banking site) that information would be couriered to me on 31 July.

Nothing arrived yet, and they have yet to respond to a message I sent them today asking where the info is.

Maybe new stalling tactics are being used ....

Don't worry too much about post not being signed for - that is what happens with big organisations receiving bulk deliveries.

Keep the recorded slip though as this acts as proof of postage - enough for the court.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

First Direct rang me yesterday and said because my account had gone overdrawn without agreement (mostly due to charges last month), I had until 11 August to pay in cleared funds to bring the account back into the black. (Not a problem for me to do this I think).

They also said they were aware of my request for 6 years statements etc, and this did not help my position with them. What a cheek!

The lady also told me that if I didn't do this, they would close the account and

TRANSFER THE O/S BALANCE OF MY LOAN ACCOUNT to the current account, and demand the repayment of the full amount within 28 days.

I was under the impression that a loan regulated by the CCA 1974 could not be terminated by the lender, unless in default. I have never missed a payment - although have been late on occasion, but never by more than 1 month.

Any one got any pointers as to the legality of this ?

Thanks

Did you record the conversation?

If not, phone back, check that it is still their position, and ask them to put it in writing.

It's another case of intimidation..... although they can ask for the overdraft to be settled at any point.

I was unable to record the call at the time.

I'm aware of having to repay any Overdraft, but was sure that loans were covered under separate agreements.

Meanwhile, I chased their data provision team, who tell me that DHL have lost the first packet, and they will resend my statements and informationa again next week.

LOST ? I hope someone else hasn't picked them up.

I have now written to them demanding to know where the first packet is, and what they are going to do to prevent my details being used by someone should they be found.

I don't believe they have any right to do that with the loan, which is why I want to know if they will confirm this again, or in writing.

I sent my request for refund of charges, directly to Robert Kernaghan at FD, on 9 Aug.

I have today received a reply from Steve Smithard, in which he states the usual "fd does not agree with you....."

Advising me to write to Robert Kernaghan if I wish to escalate.

It seems like they are on the ball at the moment, as this reply was turned around in a couple of days.

Any suggestions as to what to do next ?

Should I wait for 14 days ?, or write an LBA now, as their reply seems fairly definate.

I suggest waiting for the 14 day expiry.

It is your choice but I didnt wait the way I saw it was in the letter they had kind of stated no and thats it so didnt see thepoint waiting the 14 days as I knew I wasnt going to get anything so sent LBA out straight away it didnt hurt my claim - got full offer last friday - but again ill say it its up to you. Good luck anycase

Did their letter state that it was their final word, or just say they didn't agree with you?

A court expects you to give a calendar month to settle without their involvement - 2 letters each of 14 days does this.

I dont disagree jonni and understand what you are saying - the letter was in the vein of ...dont consider them unlawful ....contact obidsmun, nothing to say thet they would come back and write to me again. Like I said this was my personal choice I know what the advice on the site says and good advice it is.

The points raised in their letter are:

• First Direct does not agree that the charges are unlawful
  • The T&C you agreed to said we would charge xxx for going overdrawn/returned dd etc
  • We are unable to agree to your request.
  • If you wish to escalate please write to Robert Kernaghan (which I did)
  • If they don't hear from me within 8 weeks they will close the "complaint"

So, it looks like nothing more will happen unless I write back to them.

The chances of them 'complaining' to the court to suggest you have not given enough time to settle are close to zero, and on the basis of that letter you could certainly argue that they gave the impression they were not willing to respond further.

If you are in any sort of rush to get your money, then you might wish to proceed with the LBA now.

In response to my "LBA" sent to FD on 14 August, I have now received a reply from Robert Kernaghan.

It is the standard referral to the ombundsman, which he hopes I won't find necessary.

Next action will be a court claim, but I am worried about the amount I am claiming:

Charges claimed: 4681.50

S69 Interest: 1278.21

Total 5959.71

The total is over the Small Claims limit - which means it may be allocated to fast track.

Up to now, most (all ?) of the First Direct / HSBC settlements we have heard of were due to commercial reasons under the small claims regime of no costs being awarded.

Has anyone claimed more than £5000 successfully ?

Should I ignore the interest !! (I don't want to).

Is the total value of the claim or just the exc of interest value used when deciding which track to assign the claim to ?

Thanks

I can only state for me obviously but my claim was for just £100 less than yours ie £5800 and everything happened in exactly the same way as people who had claimed under £5k - I have had my money from them - so claim it I would say.

You claim total, excluding interest, sets the level for track - so this would be small claims track. The fee is set on the total with interest, so the cost of starting the claim will be higher (£250 I believe) but is reclaimable with a win of course.

Are you OK with the Particulars of Claim? If you need help just shout....

OK, thanks for that.

I have drafted the claim, wording below:

Claimant holds an account (No xxxxx)

with the Defendant, conducted on

their standard terms and conditions.

Claimant is claiming the return of £xxx

taken by Defendant in charges over

6 years to date. The Defendant's charges are

a disproportionate penalty and therefore

unenforceable as they are contrary to common

law. They are also invalid under the Unfair

Contracts Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the

Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts

Regulations 1999.Para.8 and sch.2.1.e.

In the event that the charges are not a

penalty they are unreasonable within the

meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services

Act 1982 s.15.

The Defendant has declined justification of

charges despite repeated requests.

Claimant claims interest under Sec.69 of the

County Courts Act 1984 at a rate

of 8% a year from 07 Aug 2000 to XX Aug 2006

of £yyy and also interest

at same rate up to the date of judgment or

earlier payment at a daily rate of £zzz

I will recalculate figures for the day I actually submit it which will either be middle this week, or at the expiry of my original deadline.

I guess I need to forward a copy of my schedule, complete with interest calculations to FD's legal dept. Do the court need a copy too ??

However, concerning my original timescale, FD have yet again responded negatively to my final letter, and say the only course of action is for me to report to the ombundsman..... so I feel confident in issuing the claim without waiting for the original timescale to expire.

Court costs are indeed £250 according to Moneyclaim, as it's over £5000.

Yes, send a copy to the court with the claim reference nember clearly marked, along with a cover letter to the court manager explaining its purpose. Also state that you have sent one to the Defendant.

• 2 weeks later...