• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Working more than my contract consistantly.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5564 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, ive just come across this website and it seems pretty helpful so I was hoping somebody may be able to give me a little bit of advice.

Ive been consistantly working about double, even triple my contracted 10 hours for about 9 months now and Ive heard that if you work more than your contract for 12 weeks or more that its taken as acknowledgment of a new contract or some such.

Im asking because even though I can be working up 30-35 hours a week im still only entitled to take holiday time for my 10 hour contract.

Thanks.

Im asking because even though I can be working up 30-35 hours a week im still only entitled to take holiday time for my 10 hour contract.

No you are not. Where you work more hours than you are contracted to, the amount of paid holiday should be based the average hours worked in the 12 weeks prior to taking the holiday. That is enshrined in Law.

As for the matter of working in excess of your contracted hours on a regular basis, it becomes very difficult to prove that you can expect to always work those hours due to the custom and practice of you having done so for a period of time. There is certainly no time limit used to determine what has become the 'norm' and your contract and its express terms (working hours, pay rates etc) may clarify the nature of the basis on which you are employed.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I agree Sidewinder. It's outrageous that employers are still trying this on with holiday pay.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

No you are not. Where you work more hours than you are contracted to, the amount of paid holiday should be based the average hours worked in the 12 weeks prior to taking the holiday. That is enshrined in Law.

That is very interesting can you supply links to this in law and any case law I have a friend who could benefit from this in making a claim against a previous employer.

That is very interesting can you supply links to this in law and any case law I have a friend who could benefit from this in making a claim against a previous employer.

No problem. Legal minimum paid holiday entitlements set by the Working Time Regulations 1998 (as amended) and the definition of a 'week's pay' set by the Employment Rights Act 1996 (Sections 221-224)

Good explanations HERE and HERE

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi Julie,

Both SW and Zamzarra do know what their talking about, and the above advice is sound.

There are 2 elements to your question:

a) How much leave are you entitled to?

b) How holiday pay should be calculated when such leave is taken?

In respect of point (b), I just wanted to add one caveat to the above.

Let's look at the law. A worker is entitled to be paid for any period of leave at the rate of a week's pay for each week of leave. Sounds simple right?

A week's pay is calculated, as SW rightly says by WTR (reg 16) referencing you to ERA 1996 ss 221-224

This means that, "...where an employee has normal working hours, overtime only qualifies as part of a week's pay where the overtime is fixed under the contract of employment. The effect is that only contractual hours are included and, for example non-contractual overtime hours are not. This can lead to situations where, although the employee regularly works substantial periods of overtime, pay while on holiday is based upon the lower number of contractual hours.".

See for example Bamsey v Albion Engineering [2004] ICR 1083 - employee worked on average 58 hrs per week only received hol pay bassed on contracted 39 hours per week.

The crucial question is - Are you, in law, an employee with normal working hours who regularly works non-contractual overtime or genuinely an employee with no normal working hours? If the latter then SW is right.

We cannot answer this on the info provided thus far. You need to check your contract carefully, and come back.

Hope this helps.

NB This only a potential argument, and it DOES NOT mean that any advice from SW is incorrect.

Che

Edited by elche

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

Spot on as usual Che and of course in any case such as this the theory should always be referenced to the Contract and the full details of the situation.

DONATE HERE

hi hopefully someone couldgive me some advice too as i am having the exact same problem.

i have only an eight hour contract but i have worked between 20-25 hours every week since the day i started a year and a half ago! i work the same hours same days same times every week! only through sickness etc do i not work these hours -so what am i entitled to? someone told me i should be entitled to hol based on the 25 hours i work? how do i go about doing this as i am getting sick of having 4x8hours holiday a year!!!!

would REALLY appreciate some help

thanks in advance

vikki

Hi Vikki.

Have a look at the links given in Post #5 above and see how this relates to your situation. If you feel that you are being treated unfairly in the context of the relevant legislation, then you should raise a formal grievance quoting the relevant sections of the Working Time Regulations and Employment Rights Act as the basis for your complaint. If the grievance is dismissed without adequate reason, you should take professional advice as to whether you have a case to take to a Tribunal.

If you need further advice or information, open a thread of your own and it will be seen by a wider audience and you will receive feedback a little quicker.

DONATE HERE

in any case such as this the theory should always be referenced to the Contract and the full details of the situation.

Yes I agree.

The contract + full details, will = our answer

In any event, I think Bamsey, is bad law and fundamentally unfair to the employee.

What do the Court of Appeal know anyway?

I actually prefer your argument, as I think do ACAS.

Kind regards

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

ACAS certainly do. Holiday should always be based on the actual hours worked where this is over and above the contracted hours, especially where those additional hours are paid only at standard rate. Anything less and it is potentially discriminatory, leaving part time workers particularly at a disadvantage. There is a worrying trend towards taking on part time staff who are happy to work extra hours, but without having to pay them a realistic level of holiday pay.

DONATE HERE

I don't think the contract is especially important as paid holiday cannot be contracted out of.

The law says holiday must be paid at a normal week's pay.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

I don't think the contract is especially important as paid holiday cannot be contracted out of.

The law says holiday must be paid at a normal week's pay.

Agreed.

However the calculation of a 'normal weeks pay' is the problem here.

This calculation will differ depending on whether the employee is viewed, in law, as an employee with normal working hours who regularly works non-contractual overtime or genuinely an employee with no normal working hours?

Hence leading to situations like Bamsey where the employee in the 12 weeks before he took holiday averaged 58 (ish) hours per week. However, he was only contracted to work 39 hours per week and when he took annual leave he was not paid at the 58 hours rate but the lower 39 hour rate stipulated in his contract.

As I said earlier, I think Bamsey is bad law, however it is a Court of Appeal decision, and is the leading case on this right now.

In view of the decision in Bamsey, I'm not sure how we could answer this question without the contract?

Kind regards

Che

Interesting elche. I'd never heard of that case before so I've been looking into it over the weekend.

It seems on the face of it to be such a bad decision that it can't be correct, because it effectively allows an employer to pay little or no holiday pay unless they choose to, by falsifying the contract. I have however found an employment appeal tribunal case since then that seems to contradict it: Sanderson and Griffin v Exel Management Services Ltd, which held that this situation cannot be normal working hours.

Two other lines of attack i would use are:

- Consistently working different hours at the request of the employer is by definition a change to the contract (or a second contract for the new hours), or in the alternative

- The employer is not complying with the requirement to give details of basic terms and conditions, because the term about working hours is false (unless the overtime is purely voluntary.)

It seems on the face of it to be such a bad decision that it can't be correct, because it effectively allows an employer to pay little or no holiday pay unless they choose to, by falsifying the contract.

Agree with you 100% Zamzarra. I think it is a very unfair decision and indeed open to abuse by unscrupulous employers.

I have however found an employment appeal tribunal case since then that seems to contradict it: Sanderson and Griffin v Exel Management Services Ltd

As I stated earlier and on previous posts, I do respect your advice and your advice is sound.

However, in my opinion, it is incorrect to say that Sanderson et al v Excell management Services Limited, ‘…contradicts…’ Bamsey et al v Albon Engineering.

In fact if one looks at the HJ Silber’s judgement in Excell, Bamsay is cited at paras 6-8.

Excell does not overrule (or contradict) Bamsey. Excell is distinguished from Bamsay on the basis that in Excell at para 11, it was stated that (my emphasis),

“…the hours for which the appellants were paid did not depend on the actual hours worked but were based on what were described as “production” hours, which were a form of notional or deemed hours calculated on the basis of set formulae by which certain tasks were deemed to take certain periods of time, irrespective of how long they actually took.”

Hence, leading to the conclusion at para 21 that the employees in Excell could not have been viewed as having a fixed number of contractual hours because, “….fixed number of hours” means actual fixed hours … and not a notional number of hours even if it was a genuine pre-estimate.”

Whereas in Bamsay we had an actual ‘hours worked clause’ in the contract, and not a notional, ‘production hours’ clause.

I therefore submit that it is for this reason that the EAT reached the decision they did in Excell and this distinguishes Excell from Bamsay. Excell does not overturn or overrule Bamsay in any way.

Furthermore, I note from looking at the 22nd Edition of Tolley’s Employment Handbook, with law up to date as of May 2008 (which obviously post dates the decision in Excell), Bamsay is still cited as ‘good’ law on p.687.

As you know from my earlier posts, I think Bamsay is a bad decision and fundamentally unfair to the employee, but it is still ‘good law’ and would, in my humble opinion, have to be adhered to.

Kind regards.

Che

Very interesting (albeit depressing). Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to this and was wondering is anyone can help me.

I have just been made redundant after 16 years, my hours have changed considerably over the years and although my contracted houts are 5.5 per day 3 days a week 6 months a year i have not worked these hours for many many years.i do consistantly 3 full days. My redundancy was based on my contracted hours and i got 2k! Should i have been paid based on my full days? Should sickness and holiday be based on full days and can i claim back for being underpaid all these years? thanks