• Tweets

• This is the other sign  parking sign 1a.pdf
    • 4 means that they need to name and then tell the people who will be affected that there has been an application made, what the application relates to (specificially "whether it relates to the exercise of the court’s jurisdiction in relation to P’s property and affairs, or P’s personal welfare, or to both) and what this application contains (i.e what order they want made as a result of it) 5 just means that teh court think it is important that the relevant people are notified 7 means that the court need more information to make the application, hence they have then made the order of paragraph 1 which requires the applicant to do more - this means the court can't make a decision with the current information, and need more, hence paragraph one of the order is for the applicant to do more. paragraph 3 of the order gives you the ability to have it set aside, although if it was made in january you are very late. Were you notiifed of the application or not?    
    • These are the photos of the signs. At the entrance there is a 7h free sign. On some bays there is a permit sign.  Also their official website is misleading as it implies all parking is free.  I can't be certain of the exact parking bay I was in that day, and there was no PCN ticket on my car and no other evidence was provided.  parking sign 2.pdf
    • Hi, In my last post I mentioned I had received an email from SS who were asking me to hand over the keys to my mother’s flat so they could pass them to the Law firm who have been appointed court of protection to access, secure and insure my mother’s property.  Feeling this, all quickly getting out of my hands I emailed ss requesting proof of this. I HAVEN’T HEARD BACK FROM SS.  Yesterday, I received an email (with attached court of protection order) from the Law Firm confirming this was correct (please see below a copy of this).  After reading the court of protection order I do have some concerns about it:   (a)   I only found out yesterday, the Law firm had been appointed by the court back in January.  Up until now, I have not received any notification regarding this.  (b)   Section 2   - States I am estranged from my mother.  This is NOT CORRECT    The only reason I stepped back from my mother was to protect myself from the guy (groomer) who had befriended her & was very aggressive towards me & because of my mother’s dementia she had become aggressive also.  I constantly tried to warned SS about this guy's manipulative behaviour towards my mother and his increasing aggressiveness towards me (as mentioned in previous posts).  Each time I was ignored.  Instead, SS encouraged his involvement with my mother – including him in her care plans and mental health assessments.   I was literally pushed out because I feared him and my mother’s increasing aggression towards me. Up until I stepped back, I had always looked after my mother and since her admission to the care home, I visit regularly.   .(c)    Sections -  4, 5 and 7  I am struggling to understand these as I don’t have a legal background.  I was wondering if there is anyone who might be able to explain what they mean.  It’s been a horrendous situation where I had to walk away from my mother at her most vulnerable because of; ss (not helping), scammer and groomer. I have no legal background, nor experience in highly manipulative people or an understanding of how the SS system operates, finding myself isolated, scared and powerless to the point I haven’t collected my personal belongings and items for my mother’s room in the care home.  Sadly, the court has only had heard one version of this story SS’s, and based their decision on that. My mother’s situation and the experience I have gone through could happen to anyone who has a vulnerable parent.    If anyone any thoughts on this much appreciated.  Thank you. ______________________________________________________  (Below is the Court of Protection Order)  COURT OF PROTECTION                                                                                                                                                                                   No xxx  MENTAL CAPACITY ACT 2005 In the matter of Name xxx ORDER Made by  Depty District Judge At xxx Made on xxx Issued on 18 January 2024  WHEREAS  1.     xxx Solicitors, Address xxx  ("Applicant”) has applied for an order under the Mental Capacity Act 2005.  2.     The Court notes (my mother) is said to be estranged from all her three children and only one, (me) has been notified.  3.     (Me) was previously appointed as Atorney for Property and Affairs for (my mother).  The Exhibity NAJ at (date) refers to (me) and all replacement Attorneys are now officially standing down.  4.     Pursuant to Rule 9.10 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 and Practice Direction 9B the Applicant 2must seek to identify at least three persons who are likely to have an interest in being notified that an application has been issues.”  The children of (my mother), and any other appointed attorneys are likely to have an interest in the application, because of the nature of relationship to (my mother).  5.     The Court considers that the notification requirements are an important safeguard for the person in respect of whom an order is sought.  6.     The Court notes that it is said that the local authority no longer has access to (my mother’s) Property.  7.     Further information is required for the Court to determine the application.  IT IS ORDERED THAT  Within 28 days of the issue date this order, the Applicant shall file a form COP24 witness statement confirming that the other children of (my mother) and any replacement attorneys have been notified of the application and shall confirm their name, address, and date upon which those persons were notified.  If the Applicant wishes the Court to dispense with any further notification, they should file a COP9 and COP24 explaining, what steps (if any) have been taken to attempt notification and why notification should be dispensed with.   Pending the determination of the application to appoint a deputy for (my mother), the Applicant is authorised to take such steps as are proportionate and necessary to access, secure and insure the house and property of (my mother).   This order was made without a hearing and without notice.  Any person affected by this order may apply within 21 days of the date on which the order was served to have the order set aside or varied pursuant to Rule 13.4 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 (“the Rules”).  Such application must be made on Form COP9 and in accordance with Part 10 Rules.              
    • Unless I've got an incorrect copy of the relevant regulation: The PCN is only deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch "unless the contrary is proved" in which case date of delivery does matter (not just date of posting) and I would like clarification of the required standard of proof. It seems perhaps this hasn't been tested. Since post is now barcoded for the Post Office's own tracking purposes perhaps there is some way I can get that evidence from the Post Office...
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

TheyrCriminals What effect has Bank Charges had on you??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I have spoken to some people who have told me that bank charges has significantly affected their finances, in many cases a debt has purely been made up of bank charges. This is becoming an increasingly distasteful experience. As we are all aware this problem has affected many individuals and families and has even directly contributed to the collapse of some small businesses. I must now ask the following question:

Has bank charges been a contributing factor in someone committing suicide?

Any thoughts from anyone welcome.

TheyrCriminals

Edited by TheyrCriminals

I would even suggest that bank charges have a *greater* effect psychologically than a normal debt, because the individual has no direct control over it. The resulting feeling of helplessness would not be at all healthy for someone predisposed to depression and self-destructive thoughts.

You might want to contact Tigs, see if she can help:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1158838.html

I remember this one:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester/38265-im-so-fed-up-2.html where I felt she was that close to breaking point, but have realised that thread is over 2 yrs old :shock:

In the early CAG days when it was still small enough to do this, we used to watch out for users that seemed particularly at risk from their posts and would contact them individually to offer them support, and I know that there were quite a few people who felt that the only way out was that way. :-(

The case which got a lot of publicity was the one of Beryl Brazier, but it's not just about bank charges.

Debt collection tactics come under scrutiny | Money | The Guardian

HTH.

I am absolutely certain that spiralling debts at least contributed to my complete breakdown 5 years ago, over which I was hospitalized - voluntarily, but with the unspoken threat of being sectioned otherwise, and I was on suicide watch for the first week.

The trouble is that even relatively low levels of bank charges spiral out of control very quickly if your income only just covers essential expenditure. My bank charges for the years I know about (since about 2000) 'only' amount to about £2000, but they are directly responsible for at least half the total debt over that period of around £30,000 because the bank kept offering 'consolidation loans' to clear the overdraft, but never actually took the overdraft facility away or even reduced it. I trusted them totally when they said a loan was the best option.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I am absolutely certain that spiralling debts at least contributed to my complete breakdown 5 years ago, over which I was hospitalized - voluntarily, but with the unspoken threat of being sectioned otherwise, and I was on suicide watch for the first week.

The trouble is that even relatively low levels of bank charges spiral out of control very quickly if your income only just covers essential expenditure. My bank charges for the years I know about (since about 2000) 'only' amount to about £2000, but they are directly responsible for at least half the total debt over that period of around £30,000 because the bank kept offering 'consolidation loans' to clear the overdraft, but never actually took the overdraft facility away or even reduced it. I trusted them totally when they said a loan was the best option.

This is a scenario I have experienced myself and it isnt nice at all. Thankfully, I found CAG in time and was able to see that, far from being the "good guys" the bank was actually a major player and had contributed to the problem OH found himself in. By manipulating figures they offered loans that were unaffordable from the outset. Presumably hoping that they could persuade a secured loan at a later date. Unfortunately, the credit crunch and collapse of the housing market kicked that out of the window.

You have to laugh at the letters emanating from, in particular, the likes of HSBC where they say "we are responsible lenders" ???

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi,

Thank you to everyone who has contributed above. If there any others out there pwith similar experiences or know of any who have had these experiences please post them up, in actual fact I wonder if perhaps an Administrator could move this over to a new thread. My research is taking me to levels I had suspicions existed but now realise there is a very good chance they do indeed exist. As has been stated before it is important before I start filming that I get evidence of bank charges directly contributing to people's suicides. I will therefore be asking an Administrator to see if it is possible to get an announcement made. If not please keep posting your stories up and I will contact you by PM. If I eventually do prove that bank charges have directly contributed to someone taking his/her own life then I believe, as a society, something has gone severly wrong somewhere and I would like to expose this.

Thanks again.

TheyrCriminals

• 2 weeks later...

What one finds amazing is that these so called financial (debt ridden) institutions can charge at a seconds notice but take weeks to reimburse or repay anything. We should in theory as taxpayers subsidising these fat cat monolithic epitaphs have the right to more than we do.

Financial institutions have total control over ones life. I'm quite confident that they operate jointly and severally as cartels and let's face it the Bank of England is part of that too. As is said 'money talks'.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Hi InformedResearcher,

You're quite right in saying that the tax payer should have more say in how these banks are run. The fact that banks are still applying these charges and as you say doing so in a moments notice and the consumer is still being forced to pay these charges is totally unacceptable. It is an unfortunate consequence of the very one sided deal that the OFT, the FSA and the banks came to in July 2007 which put the consumer at a huge disadvantage.

TheyrCriminals

I have been off ill for about a year and just recently returned back to work, in this year i nearly lost my home and the debts from credit cards too had this huge impact on me and my family,

suicide, i was not quite there but desperation, depression and feeling hugely helpless impacted on me getting better,

i found cag again from about 8 months ago and ive learned something new every day, im taking back control, and i now dont worry from the letters i get as im processing everything in my mind and ONLY by letter thus in my time and with help from these wonderful people here who have supported and helped me so much more than words can express - anyone who has sent me a post reply or pm, have helped me in your efforts for which i thank you all.

I have sorted the phone problem out, i did send out harrasment letters but that really just got each creditor their justification that they can call me and they were not harrassing me, Yes they were, when they would call me at least 4 to 6 times a day each of them.

So i know i can log them ect but at this moment in time, peace of quiet in my house is more important to me, as i was feeling vulnerable again just lately. So ive Fixed the telephone and wow the peace in the house is refreshing

There may be future suicides in this credit crunch future months, once people do start losing their jobs etc, things will affect them in a way quite possibly they may then feel its the only way out, This really needs to be highlighted, There is alway a way out and suicide is not the answer, but i can understand the feelings that you can reach to get to that point, ive always had my hubby and daughter supporting me and thus it would hurt them so much if i conteplated suicide, so i know for myself its something ive not personally reached but i do imagine how one reaches that point.

sorry for my long post laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Debt is known to drive some to suicide, bank charges incease one's alleged indebtedness, so it would be a logical conjecture to say that in some cases, it has.

Proving it is another matter.

Funny you should have said that because I pointed this out to the HSBC Financial Hardship man who refused my claim. Erm, it fell on totally deaf ears I would add! The normal brief for these departments is 'do not part with the companies (IMHO ill-gotten) gains'.

These people work to specific guidelines. They claim to adhere to the banking code but it's always easier for them to miss the first steps of section 14 and whizz along to the threats (final solution) sections. All they did for me was to give me a well known Debt counselling agency and said they would sort everything out for me - aka, 'washed their hands of me'.

If you'd all like a laugh the next day I called regarding my loan account. The lady told me they were still deciding on my hardship application and to wait a few days - quite amazing as the day before they blankly refused the hardship claim!

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

When I was coping with our debts, there was no cag, I was in total despair. I had no idea waht to do, I made some very costly bad decisions trying to cope. I E I sold an endowment policy which only had 6 years to run. I used to beg the bank to stop taking the charges from us so I could "catch" up and actually pay people. I had bundles of unopened letters and I used to jump a mile if the phone rang. I am now terrified of borrowing money and although I am now out of debt the past experience has left me very wary of finacial institutions. I hate people who work for them and now rejoice in the number who are loosing their jobs. I know this sounds awful but it is the way I feel. Perhaps now they will see how quickly your life can be run from afar and may not be so smug. We cannot plan for the unexpected and I am glad that this goverment is trying to help people who are made redundant. I only wish the help had been there for us.

My wake up call came when he bank took my entire salary for the month in charges. I then realised that no one in so called authority was going to help and devised a system of clearing debts. The last one has two payments to go, it has taken me years to get to this point but it can be done.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the above posts. I am pleased that despite desperate times CAG seems to have helped you a lot and as angel 1 rightly says debt is not worth committing suicide over. A quick note to Hilaryfrances - I can not fathom, and never will be able to fathom, the perversity of a bank taking your entire salary in bank charges this should almost be a criminal offence in my opinion.

TheyrCriminals

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the above posts. I am pleased that despite desperate times CAG seems to have helped you a lot and as angel 1 rightly says debt is not worth committing suicide over. A quick note to Hilaryfrances - I can not fathom, and never will be able to fathom, the perversity of a bank taking your entire salary in bank charges this should almost be a criminal offence in my opinion.

TheyrCriminals

Oh let me assure you they do! Back in 2000 having had a Barclays current account for 25 years I had a couple of unauthorised o/d's. I got a letter. A month later I got a letter telling me the account was closed. How convenient as pay day was the day the letter arrived.

I called them and after 5 minutes the lady said, 'Sorry, your 5 minutes of time is up, anything further contact us by letter' (seriously!) and she said goodbye and the phone was dead. They took my pay that day even though the account by their choice was closed 5 days earlier. I was rather naieve those days!

Michael

:D Yes Michael, pre cag we were bullied by banks as we assumed they had the authority to do what they did without question and we were very "naughty" The day my salary was taken I did not realise until I rang my companies financial director to complain my salary had not been paid. I felt a right fool when he said, "Of course it has" I just thank goodness that now there is help and guidance for people who find themselves in the same situation

Oh let me assure you they do! Back in 2000 having had a Barclays current account for 25 years I had a couple of unauthorised o/d's. I got a letter. A month later I got a letter telling me the account was closed. How convenient as pay day was the day the letter arrived.

I called them and after 5 minutes the lady said, 'Sorry, your 5 minutes of time is up, anything further contact us by letter' (seriously!) and she said goodbye and the phone was dead. They took my pay that day even though the account by their choice was closed 5 days earlier. I was rather naieve those days!

Michael

Just to clarify I wasn't saying the banks were not taking people's wages I was merely stating that I will never be able to accept this type of twisted business mentality. As I also stated I believe that if your entire wages are taken in unauthorised overdraft charges then this should be a criminal offence.

TheyrCriminals

Okay, this is 'my' story so far....

HSBC have given me no help ref financial hardship but to give me a phone number for some debt counselling service. I have serious reservations regarding all of this because they should be going through section 14 of the Banking Guidelines- They are simply not doing this by simply ‘jumping over the basics’.

I am going to be very brave here! I am now going to their 14 Canada Square address and request to see someone. My intentions are simple in so much as I’m satisfied or they will need the Police to remove me. This action will come to haunt them (more than me) as I intend to visit again and again till my Oyster card balance depletes to zero or they conform. I am now totally broke and no one will help me so I have no other options on the matter.

If anyone wants to suggest a better line of action then I am ‘all ears’. I must get my wife to make some sarnies for me (even though she considers me mad)! LOL

Michael

• 1 month later...

I used barclays for years, I had an over draft of £600. When I became pregnant and had my daughter I was getting maternity, it wasn't covering what we needed to pay out and one bank charge led to another.

Barclays piled on the charges over and over again. Eventually they closed my account and now I am faced with a debt based on sodding bank charges!!!

Has given me sleepness nights, problems with my 2nd pregnancy (stress).

Now I will be paying back charges for god knows how many years :(

;) your problems may be over, the banks have lost 2 court cases now and you may be able to claim all your charges back + 8% interest, they will no doubt appeal but I am sure they will loose eventually. They are running out of options. Make an offer of what you can realistically pay them. Add up your total charges and start to make your claim. You will not get your money back until they have stopped playing silly beggers in the court but at least you will be in the queue. Please try and calm down otherwise it will not be good for you and the baby. Take care and good luck HF