Natwest taking me to court ***All 3 Claims Discontinued***

texanbar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4315 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi caggers,

I know I'm being paranoid here, but am noticing a few 'guests' on this thread. Is it safe for me to be posting the WS on here before I get this in to court next week?

Tex

Presumably you have to submit your WS before the hearing anyway, and frankly I suspect they aren't working at this time on a Sunday night. ;-)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Okay, we guess no news is good news - the WS will remain as they are and hand-delivered tomorrow. Many thanks to everyone for their best wishes and support (esp Andy, Gezwee) in this final push before the hearing next Tuesday.

I wonder who will be singing Christmas carols at midday on Tuesday 20th December.

Wish us luck folks!

Tex

x

Ok Tex/Gez well done.

Tex I note you refer to the case i posted but I think you need to include (pref at the end of both WS ) in your closing paragraphs.The Claimant is quite clearly trying to avoid its duties under CPR 38.7 etc etc

Preventing subsequent litigation: res judicata and abuse of the court's process

Resource type: Practice note

Jurisdictions:England, Wales

This practice note provides guidance on how the court will consider whether litigation should be prevented as res judicata or, as an abuse of process because it raises issues which have, or could have, been decided in previous proceedings, or is an attack on a previous decision or finding.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Andy,

Okay, so I'll add the following to both WS in the closing paragraph:

The Claimant is quite clearly trying to avoid its duties under CPR 38.7.

CPR 38.7 provides that a claimant which discontinues a claim needs the court's permission to make another claim against the same defendant if:

• the claimant discontinued the claim after the defendant filed a defence; and
  • the other claim arises out of facts which are the same or substantially the same as those relating to the discontinued claim

Apologies, do I need to add something further to address the Preventing subsequent litigation: res judicata and abuse of the court's process?

Many thanks for your help Andy, I'll hang fire before re-printing the final pages until I hear back.

x:)x

Ok Tex/Gez well done.

Tex I note you refer to the case i posted but I think you need to include (pref at the end of both WS ) in your closing paragraphs.The Claimant is quite clearly trying to avoid its duties under CPR 38.7 etc etc

Preventing subsequent litigation: res judicata and abuse of the court's process

Resource type: Practice note

Jurisdictions:England, Wales

This practice note provides guidance on how the court will consider whether litigation should be prevented as res judicata or, as an abuse of process because it raises issues which have, or could have, been decided in previous proceedings, or is an attack on a previous decision or finding.

Regards

Andy

The Claimant is quite clearly trying to avoid its duties under CPR 38.7 the court will consider whether litigation should be prevented as res judicata or, as an abuse of process because it raises issues which have, or could have, been decided in previous proceedings, or is an attack on a previous decision or finding.

Probably would have more impact in your intro were you deal with the CPR 38.7 Tex

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Yes. Good luck Tex. Just holler if you have any last minute thoughts you want to sort tonight or in the morning. :-)

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thank you dear friends, you all beat me to it!

Yes, please wish us the best of luck for tomorrow - really really hope it goes our way and it doesn't ruin our Christmas.

Surprise surprise, we received today a letter today from IM with guess what...?

"Statement of Costs of the Claimant" in readiness for the hearing tomorrow. They state: they shall request that the DJ summarily assess these costs at the hearing!!

We shall keep you posted soon after 11:00am - watch this space!

xx

Best wishes to you and Mr T for tomorrow........ and none of your smutty comments to the dj please, lol

Gez

Oh I don't know Gez. If it helps swing the balance in Tex's favour ................ :madgrin:

Dear friends,

Okay, following our day in court, in a nutshell:

Mr T's application for N244 to strike out was dismissed due to non-compliance of CPR 38.7 which clearly states it is about the 'same' defendant;

SJ for NW was dismissed - thankfully we produced compelling evidence which meant the defendant has a chance of successfully defending the claim

We have until 9th January 2012 to re-submit a new defence

We have until 9th January 2012 to pay NW costs of £350.00

Now the gory details:

Whilst waiting for our time to see the DJ, NW representative offered to see us in a consultation room, we politely declined.

We were seen at 10am in the DJ chambers and his first question to Mr T was "do you remember receiving the monies from the Bank?"

The hearing was very one-sided. Although he looked at our WS, he said the bank was entitled to chase monies, despite previous proceedings against Mrs Tex. He was not interested at all in previous DJ's comments.

After 30 minutes of our 45 minute allocation, we raised the point that we had been paying monies to NW which had not been taken into account. The monies were paid into an old expenses account which CMS directed us to do back in 2005. The DJ then ordered NW rep to make a phone call to check if this was correct. The DJ said, he would squeeze us back in later in the morning to pick this up.

We all retired into a consultation room and NW's buffoon left the room to make a phone-call to NW. He came back in to tell us that NW categorically deny any monies had been paid into this expenses account and in fact this account had lain dormant since 2005.

We were then ushered back into the DJ's chambers at approx. 12:00 where the DJ asked NW's rep if he made the phone call. He replied he had and relayed the same conversation. The DJ loved him and said, "there is absolutely no reason for me to doubt what Mr Buffoon has said so it would appear this information is correct. Mr Tex is there anything you would like to add, because I completely support Mr Buffoon"

All I can say is thank goodness we had the foresight to take in 2 copies of documents we had from CMS clearly stating the payment arrangement of the O/D to this expenses account - the documents were dated 2007 and 2008 which clearly showed payments had been made. We also wanted to raise the fact the a/c had been terminated in 2005 (again we had documents) but the DJ was very dismissive. We did not even get the chance to challenge the said amount.

It was only from this point the DJ looked at the Part 24 of the SJ and declared due to compelling evidence that SJ was dismissed.

Mr Buffoon, then presented his costs, initially of some £1008, to which the DJ glanced over and agreed that £350 was a fair sum due to the amount of sheer hard work he must have done for this complex case.

The DJ said there was more than meets the eye and we therefore have been granted 14 days to re-submit a defence. Mr Buffoon pushed for 3rd January, 2012 but the DJ said due to bank holidays etc.. he would grant 9th January, 2012.

The DJ finished the hearing by thanking Mr Buffoon for all of his help in the matter and said he had helped him enormously throughout the hearing! The DJ pushed that we should all look to mediate and sort this out amicably without litigation so as to save costs.

May we please ask for help in pulling together a new defence - whether or not myself or Mr Tex have the energy to go through this again to trial is currently being debated. I guess it will all come down to whether we can use my Bill of Costs against settlement with NW.

Thanks to those of you who sent us best wishes for today - it is greatly appreciated.

Tex

Edited by texanbar

Pretty much even stevens then Tex.You stopped the SJ though so that wont go down well.I assume you didn't raise the matter of your impending costs?

Or " as res judicata or, as an abuse of process because it raises issues which have, or could have, been decided in previous proceedings, or is an attack on a previous decision or finding." ?

Bear in mind the DJs words " The DJ pushed that we should all look to mediate and sort this out amicably without litigation so as to save costs." You need to find out the true figure outstanding on this O/D your true indebtedness and then offset this against your costs, preferably through mediation, for your own sanity.

I will send you a PM Tex something to consider.Our guest is back:wink:

Well done on today

Andy

Thanks Andy,

No I didn't get the chance to mention my costs at all - he also wanted to make it clear that a line would be drawn underneath my claims (and subsequent ruling) and there would be no talk of any vexatious or abuse of process.

The DJ said he had read the authorities supplied (ie Westbrook; Henderson etc) and through the oral submissions given he could not find any support from within.

Yes - I have spotted the 'guest' - I shall check my PM.

Thanks again Andy

Sounds like you put up a good fight despite a biased judge Tex, so well done. Whatever you decide I hope it's sorted soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear friends,

Here's to a healthy and prosperous New Year.

Mr Tex and I would like to start pulling together his defence this week ready to submit by 9th January (next Monday). We are currently looking at the figures and working out which we believe is the correct amount once we have taken off the charges and payments made since 2009.

Once we have got the figures, I'll paste these on here and hope to ask for some help and guidance to put this together. I'll be back on later.

Warmest wishes,

Tex