• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Moores2525 v BarclayCard **SETTLED IN FULL**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I sent the standard DPA letter to Barclaycard on 11/04/06. I wrote:

"Please supply me with a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my bank account since September 1997. Alternatively a complete set of bank statements for that period will be acceptable.

Additionally where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you.

If you are unable to supply data relating to manual intervention because there has been no such manual intervention then please be kind as to confirm this in your response to this request.

I enclose the statutory fee of £5. You have 40 days in which to comply. Furthermore, if I discover that you have levied disproportionate penalties against me then I shall be reclaiming them and also reclaiming the enclosed £5 DPA disclosure fee."

Sure enough, today I received my statements in a big brown envelope.....only going back to May 2004. They've cashed my £5 cheque though!

"Further to your request for personal data held by Barclaycard, please find enclosed a copy of the relevant information from May 2004.

Statements that are prior to this date are not held on a computer system or a structured relevant filing system and therefore, they do not fall under the Data Protection Act 1998. They can be obtained from our Customer Services Dept at a cost of £3 per statement."

Included in the package are printouts including details of number of late payments - 17 and number of second payments late - 3 and account status details relating back to 1997. What can I do from here in order to obtain the full statement details back six years or to 1997? I guess from the number of late payments, knowing the late payment fee (£20) I can calculate an estimated claim but should I do this or send another letter to Barclaycard demanding the rest of the statements?

thanks,

Stewart

Naughty naughty........

Use THIS template from the Abbey forum, and just change the wording from "because any earlier information has been archived onto microfiche" to something like "because this data is not held on a computer system"

If they still feel like avoiding the issue, wait until the 40th day and make an official complaint to the I.C's Office.

They are, in effect, just trying to put you off.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

p.s. I'm also a Forest fan!

Ahhh, so it's YOU - I've always wondered who the other one was !

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Around a month ago I sent a DPA request to BarclayCard using the standard DPA template and in return received a letter saying that they could only provide me with details from May 2004 due to Microfiche and enclosed was the now legendary 'Useless' computer printout. :)

The printout revealed on page 5 that I'd missing one payment x17, two payments x3 and three payments x2. (so 22 charges in total x£20? Or maybe more??)

I wrote back to them using the standard second letter telling them that I required full details on my account from 1997 and not just from May 2004, referred them to Smith vs Lloyds TSB (2005) and told them they had 26 days left to provide the details.

Today I received a further reply from BarclayCard, saying that they will not provide such details as not on a "relevant filing system" . They deny that other customers have received this data under DPA request and say I can pay £3 per statement to receive them.

The problem I have is how to proceed from here. I have the computer printout but it is not conclusive. I could do the following:

a) Use the computer printout to estimate the charges (22 x £20?) and send them the Letter Before Action at the end of the DPA period

b) Wait until the end of the DPA period and report them to IC or raise an N1 with the County Court

c) Pay £3 per statement for copy statements and get the information I need to claim off them and then charge them for the statements :) Problem is that 6 years worth of statements will probably cost quite a bit......

d) Send them the Non-DPA Compliance letter at the end of the DPA period. (which I believe ends on 22/05)

Has anyone else experienced these issues and what do you think is the best way to proceed?

Im at exactly the same stage. I think I will probably claim what I know and include a DPA non complience when it comes to moneyclaim and just go through the process again with the earlier charges if there are any.

Ive got 8 on the go at the moment so Im in no rush but interested to know what you decide.

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am at the same stage also, What does anyone suggest we do here? I feel at a stand still with this mob.

Kaz

Sent

Halifax (mortgage), Barclaycard and BOS DPA letters.

It would appear to me that if they can provide statements for £3 a copy then they can provide the same statements under the DPA.

I would wait the 40 days and report them to the IC

Brian

Claim against Nationwide

6 years charges £1973

prelim letter 10 April

Charges refunded 15 April

The latest news - I sent them the following letter:

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Section 7 – Data Protection Act 1998

Dear Ms. Hilton,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXXXXXX

I am in receipt of the documents that you have supplied in response to my Data Protection Act information request dated 11 April 2006. The disclosure of personal data is incomplete in that at least the following documents are missing:

1) You have failed to provide a complete list of transactions and charges. All you have sent is a computer printout with no mention of dates at which charges had been applied, or how much were the individual charges.

2) You have provided no notes, or documents relating to instances of personal human intervention, nor confirmed that any did indeed take place at any time.

This is not an exhaustive list by any means, it is just an example of some of the information I am missing.

You have stated that statements prior to June 2004 are manually stored on microfiche and do not fall within the Data Subject Access provisions. Section 1 (1) of the Data Protection Act 1998 states:

"any set of information relating to individuals to the extent that, although the information is not processed by means of equipment operating automatically in response to instructions given for that purpose, the set is structured either by reference to the individual or to criteria relating to individuals, in such a way that specific information relating to a particular individual is readily accessible".

Furthermore, recent communication with the Information Commissioner’s office has brought further clarification:

“(…) if the information is filed by account number this information would be considered to form part of a relevant filing system as it would be similar to searching a computer data base for a specific account number.”

Since you have informed me that I can obtain additional copy statements from your Customer Services, there can be no doubt that the information IS readily accessible, IS filed in a relevant filing system, and therefore DOES fall within DSA provisions.

The time for compliance with my request has now expired. If you do not comply fully with my Subject Access Request within 7 days, I shall apply to the County Court for an order together with damages at the discretion of the court under s.7(9) Data Protection Act 1998.

Yours sincerely,

S Moore

and yesterday I received the following reply:

Dear Mr Moore

Data Protection Act 1998 - SUbject Access Request

Thank you for your recent letter dated 22 May 2006. With regard to your request that we provide a computer print out of transactions on your account to date we are unable to provide the information requested. Our computer systems do not permit us to print such historic data. Neither do our computer systems allow us to search for and identify individual charges applied to an account. It is therefore not possible to provide you with a print out of such charges. I would also add that Barclaycard did not introduce default charges on its accounts until mid-2001. The printout that has been provided to you contains the information that we currently have recorded relating to charges on your account.

As explained previously copy statements held prior to May 2004 are stored on microfiche. The statements copied onto the microfiche in date order and more than one customer statement may be held on an individual film of microfiche. These statements are not stored by reference to account number of customer name and are not "readily accessible" within the meaning of the Data Protection Act. These statements are therefore not retained in a relevant filing system and therefore do not fall within the class of documents to be produced pursuant to a subject access request.

Accordingly we are unable to disclose any further statement documentation to you pursuant to your request under the Data Protection Act. As previously advised you may contact the Customer Services team for copy statements. There is a standard charge of £3 per copy statement.

Barclaycard is not attempting to obstruct or delay you. We are however ensuring that all subject access requests made to Barclaycard are dealt with in the same way, whether or not they relate to default fees, so that all requests are processed fairly and properly. Barclaycard have made it clear to customers for many years that copy statements held on microfiche are not required to be produced pursuant to a subject access request.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you wish to discuss the above issues further.

Yours Sincerely

Simon Walker

Head of Data Protection & Legal Counsel

From here I think I will report them to the IC and raise a Moneyclaim based on the number of charges stated on the crap computer printout they sent me originally - something like 17 fees x £20 I guess? I'm not prepared to pay them £3 per statement for copy statements.

Can anyone give me any advise how to proceed please? Has anyone else received the same letter?

thanks,

Stewart

From here I think I will report them to the IC and raise a Moneyclaim based on the number of charges stated on the crap computer printout they sent me originally -

Can anyone give me any advise how to proceed please? Has anyone else received the same letter?

thanks,

Stewart

A little confused with your comment asking advice as to how to proceed.

As you sent the DPA - Letter Before Action, then you have no choice but to proceed to a County Court claim. It is no point whatsoever threatening action, if you have no intention of carrying it through.

Incidentally, a CC action under the DPA cannot be done through moneyclaim - these claims have to be issued through the court.

Yep I included £10 and got back around 30 pages of computer printout - of which one page contained a total of the number of payments I had missed once (17), the number of payments I had missed twice (3) and some other details. No specific dates or charge amounts though...

Following this thread with great interest as I have been throught the same rubbish (received insufficient statements - wrote back - received nonsense about microfilche).

Speaking for myself, I intend to smack these people (& any other banks that do not co-operate) with an N1. The court will see throught their little delaying ploy for what it is - AND that I have tried to be reasonable whereas THEY have dragged their heels at every step of the way!

I have also received incomplete statements from May 2004 only and the ubiquitous printout, and was glad to see mention of this "payments missed" section on it which I hadn't noticed on page 5 - handy! Thought it might need pointing out however that this section may not estimate your total charges, as Barclaycard also sting you with a seperate "Exceeded Limit" charge (£24) if your account balance goes over your credit limit (usually due to their charges of course!), which they have certainly whacked me with a fair number of times.

I've been unable to locate a figure for occurrences of this anywhere on this rambling printout, except for the number during the past 12 months on page 4 (3 times, personally) - anyone else found a total during account history for this?

Barclays - Total charges = £1285. LBA sent - 5 days to comply.

Barclaycard - Total charges = £516. LBA sent - 5 days to comply.

Co-operative Bank - Settled in full - £202.50 received 7 July 2006.

Aha! Found it!!

If any Barclaycard holders have been charged 'Exceeded Limit' fees and want to attempt to estimate the number using the garbled printout BC seem to be issuing as standard, I believe I may have found relating data for this on Page 23 onwards - "Credit Limit Details" - this section lists a number of "Account Status Codes" which would seem to reference occurrences of the account being suspended, and therefore some of these will be instances of the account being overlimit. It's not exactly specific, but as they're not willing to provide the proper information I requested then they'll just have to lump it!!

Anyway, hope this is of use to some of you. :)

Barclays - Total charges = £1285. LBA sent - 5 days to comply.

Barclaycard - Total charges = £516. LBA sent - 5 days to comply.

Co-operative Bank - Settled in full - £202.50 received 7 July 2006.

Thanks for that - BUT, speaking personally, I am not even bothering to fall for their little game!

I believe a court will take the view of what a "reasonable person" would do. If I hand a judge their garbled gobbley gook of a print-out and ask him to explain it (RESPECTFULLY of course!) he is going to have NO luck at all! If a man as learned as a judge cannot decipher this nonsense - how is poor little old me supposed to read it??! :p

Nope, I am sending them an N1 informing the courts that they have not replied in a reasonable manner & also that their response was not complete. Let the s***s argue their case in court. :mad:

Ive just got the same thing through the door and Im bl**dy seething.

HOW DARE THEY CONTRAVENE THE LAW OF THIS LAND? Its my sodding data- give it to me you ****.

*deep breath*

So an N1 is me taking them to court under the DPA is it? Just to clarify? Sorry cant really think properly with all this red mist

• 3 weeks later...

This is fascinating reading, and makes a nice change to see a letter from Barclaycard that they actually WROTE rather than took from their 'automated response' pile. Wonder how much they'll charge for THAT letter!!:D

A query though... this 3.00 charge they ask for.. are they legally able to? Surely the 10.00 fee is the 'statutory maximum'..?

Abbey - 547.00 settled in full.

Second claim: £204 WON.

Barclaycard - 142.88 incl interest due WON BY DEFAULT as they didn't even bother entering a defence. Barclaycard paid up £184.88.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Capital One Concluded £148

Kinda disappointed I've no more banks to go after now...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Today I have received copy statements from Oct 2004 to June 2006 and the same letter you all seem to be getting:

"Further to your request for personal data held by Barclaycard, please find enclosed a copy of the relevant information from May 2004.

Statements that are prior to this date are not held on a computer system or a structured relevant filing system and therefore, they do not fall under the Data Protection Act 1998. They can be obtained from our Customer Services Dept at a cost of £3 per statement."

Firstly, if it says "from May 2004" then why do my statements start Oct 2004?

Secondly, What can be done about the "microfiche" records? Has any one got past this yet? I don't see why they can't supply said statements on one hand at £3 per statement then on the other hand say they cant/wont sent the same statements

I wan't my money back!

Thanks

Paul

In light of the posts in this thread, it seems Barclaycard should train their call centre staff better. I was told yesterday that the only way I could find out what charges I had incurred would be buy buying back statements at £3 a statement. I asked whether a letter could instead be written to be, summarising how much I had paid in late payment charges, but was told that the facility did not exist to do this.

I will now send one of the letter templates given above to them. Does anyone know what address it would need to be sent to?

Thanks

Jeff

Look in the survey results. £3570 recovered to date.

Abbey - 547.00 settled in full.

Second claim: £204 WON.

Barclaycard - 142.88 incl interest due WON BY DEFAULT as they didn't even bother entering a defence. Barclaycard paid up £184.88.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Capital One Concluded £148

Kinda disappointed I've no more banks to go after now...

Hi There,

Just to add a bit of variety to this thread, i have also received a similar letter refusing to give me statements prior to May 2004 along with a pile of statements belonging to someone else! :shock: I can tell you everything about this fella, Account numbers, Address, current balance etc

Where do I go with this one? ..Surely must be violating some Data Protection Laws? I'm worried where mine have been sent now??

Can someone please let me know how I should continue with this one, before I call them tomorrow.

Many thanks.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks