Currys advertised spec for laptop doesn't match what I paid for??? :(

tommyg90
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5589 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey there,

Just bought 2 Dell 1737 studio laptops from Currys in Eastkilbride Scotland just over a week ago and only just noticed the specification of both laptop does not match what I had ordered online.:(

Currys - Shop for Entertainment Laptops - Dell Studio 1737 Blue Powerful entertainment laptop from a top brand

The above link is what I had reserved online. Pay particular attention to the ati 3650 256mb graphics chip.:(

I picked up both laptops 8 days ago and yesterday decided to sit down and set them up for opening on Christmas Day. I noticed that the laptops both had an Intel® Integrated GMA 4500MHD graphics chip........not what I had ordered as I wanted a laptop that could effortlessly play some online games and the ati graphics processor would have done this adequately hence why I ordered this laptop in the first place.

Anyway popped in there tonight to speak to a customer service representitive about the situation as I wasn't happy about this at all. The guy I spoke to suggested that I contact the head office to try to resolve this and also added he was quite surprised that I had noticed this seemingly small detail??...lol....he's having a laugh right?:lol:

I had to explain to him that believe or not I did have some idea of what I was looking for and after seeing this advertised decided it suited the needs i was looking for..........kinda think he didn't know what to do about it.:eek:

Well to cut a long story short I insisted he contacted head office to resolve this issue on my behalf as it was clearly their mistake and not mines.

The guy came back about 15 minutes later with some lame excuse that it was displayed in store as the correct spec and that they were allowed to have a margin of error on there website due to human error.......is this correct:confused:

At this point I had to again explain that this was researched and reserved online and at no point approached the laptop stands to check the specs of the dell laptops displayed there niether did I think at the time I would have needed to.

At first he murmered something about a lack of laptops with a similair graphics chip in stock due to it being Christmas which I can understand but as I pointed out to him, I'm in the same situation 2 days before christmass and not having what I had ordered online over a week ago!

Well he had suggested that I bring them both back and I would get a full refund. I told him I wasn't happy with the situation and would consult trading standards and see what my legal rights were.

Hopefully at the very least raise some awareness that no-one should take it for granted that these stores give you exactly what you are paying for.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

take it back and get the refund.

Technically they could be accused of negligent misrepresentation for which the remedy would be recission of contract plus payment of costs leading from the transaction but this would be a tough call - get the refund and get the computer you want elsewhere.

(make enough noise they may offer extra as GOGW)

Thanks for the suggestion, Was kinda leaning towards that option as I see it as a matter of principle.

As I said before it was the "I am surprised you actually noticed" comment that didn't sit well with me. Automatically assuming I would not pick up on this seemingly MINOR detail.

Again Thanks.

I must say, as an employee there, I can understand how our non-tech savy warehouse staff could make this mistake.

To clarify, the company gets all sorts of seemingly random model numbered dell laptops into the stores. For example, the 1737's we got in were also shipped alongside the 1735's which to look at are identical, they have identical memory, processors, and generaly are exactly the same, even price wise, except for some small print on the box saying the graphics cards are different. My manager told me that the 1735 and 1737's were identical except the 1735's were black and the 1737's coloured, until I pointed this out to him.

To be honest, dell laptops have been a pain in the ass ever since we got them in. I guess the guys on the website must be having the same confusion judging by that page you linked.

Just return them to the shop, they should offer you an exchange or a full refund, if you explain they were reserve and collected from the branch and the warehouse staff have put the wrong product aside for you, and you had no way of knowing until you'd got them home. If they refuse, ask to speak to the most senior manager in store, make sure he knows you will report his store for misreprisentation if his staff continue to refuse to either give you the laptops you paid for, or give you a refund. Make sure you have a printout of that webpage, and a copy of your reserve and collect details if you still have them, along with you recept.

Please bare in mind, the reserve and collect system is not some kind of machine, there are people who pick the products and as such, it's open to human error. I can understand that you'd be annoyed by this, but try not to take out your fustrations on the store staff, just ask for their first name, and store number if they are cheeky to you again and report them to head-office.

Oh and as for the "make enough noise comment".. They'll offer you an exchange, refusing that they'll offer you a refund. With something as straightforward as this, they won't offer you a goodwill gesture, they'll just give you your money and kick you out the shop if you start being loud and/or agressive. Why would they offer you anything extra when they can just refund the laptops, remaster them, and sell them again and get their money back. You don't seem to comprehend how popular these laptops are, they'd sell both of them in a day, maybe two tops, even pre-owned.

Edited by Renzokuken

Yeah everything you have said I had done.

They did offer me a full refund but apparently could not offer me what I had as stocks were low due to Christmas sales.

Although a refund is what I'm going to opt for tomorrow it wasn't the result I wanted as I now have to hope to finish work early exchange laptops and try to find another 2 of the spec I was originaly looking for.

I will not be using Currys again unfortunately but appreciate your reply. :)

Merry Christmas All! :D

Yeah everything you have said I had done.

They did offer me a full refund but apparently could not offer me what I had as stocks were low due to Christmas sales.

Although a refund is what I'm going to opt for tomorrow it wasn't the result I wanted as I now have to hope to finish work early exchange laptops and try to find another 2 of the spec I was originaly looking for.

I will not be using Currys again unfortunately but appreciate your reply. :)

Merry Christmas All! :D

Which begs the question, if they already offered you a total refund to begin with.

Why the topic, isn't your situation already resolved with currys?

Well If you had read my post you would have seen that I asked for opinions!

As I said refund wasn't what I wanted, I wanted what I had paid for and as a result I now have to go and look and look for what I thought I had already bought and paid for with Currys.

Posting in here was just to see what options I had if any. Although I do appreciate your concern!

And again think I will be using comet in the future.

Thankyou.

Edited by tommyg90

And again think I will be using comet in the future.

Thankyou.

Ok, no worries, just wondered if there was some other motive, thats all.

Anyway, comet have the exact same returns and reserve procedure, there staff are practicaly the same, but slightly more obnoxous (I've heard).

So you'd basicly be cutting off your nose to spite your face as comet and currys are so similar they may as well be the same company.

Not quite sure what you mean by "some other motive"?

Only just found out due to my situation and researching on the news sites that Curry's/Dixons are struggling at the moment and may very well be the next major retailer to go under. I can't say I'm surprised to be honest I for one will not be using them again and as for Comet I have purchased a few items from them in the past, one being a laptop and didn't have any issues so kinda obvious decision for me.

So Sayonara Currys won't be using you again!

Everyone has their horror stories about a particular retailer, some about comet, others about currys, and so on.

You can only go on the experience you have had as an individual and that may be due to a single employee of a single store which will set you against that store for life.

It is sad that currys/dixons/pcworld may go under - the loss of jobs alone would be a tragedy for the economy.

Everyone has their horror stories about a particular retailer, some about comet, others about currys, and so on.

You can only go on the experience you have had as an individual and that may be due to a single employee of a single store which will set you against that store for life.

It is sad that currys/dixons/pcworld may go under - the loss of jobs alone would be a tragedy for the economy.

They aren't going under, trust me.

The staff have all been assured that their jobs are all perfectly safe, and they even continued hiring new staff over the christmas period. The managing director reckons the company has 800 million in "hidden assets" meaning the cash from whateverhappens guarantees and external companies outside the UK.

Us being the most profitable reigon, we'll be the last to go if anything does. Please, don't believe everything the tabloid press tell you. They failed to mention that woolies have been in financial trouble for the past 3 years.

doubt currys will be going under our ends just anouncced "significant investment" (around a million plus) to improvements, plus theyve still got another 300 million of loans offered to them to draw on if they need it.

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

/Bump

Hello, I just fell into the trap at PixMania (ordered Dec 27th) DELL STUDIO 1737 - GREEN review cheap prices STUDIO 1737 - GREEN DELL best buy discount online uk shop

Realised just in time for the sales to finish and limit any possible alternatives upon refund.

Hopefully they have what I wanted as a replacement, but it seems like they mixed the descriptions up with the Studio 1735 which turns out to be £100 more.

I'll email and see what happens...

Edited by JimLad