• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

kaiser_solsay v Nationwide **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6400 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

Claiming for £1,518.00 for fees applied to my account for being slightly over limit.

Letter back from Nationwide advising me to contact ombusman to take thing further.

Summary Cause Summons submitted instead to Perth Sheriff Court for full amount + 8%apr + court costs.

Will keep you all posted.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck and yes keep us posted please

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

I submitted a Summary Cause Summons to reclaim cash back from Nationwide, but its been returned as I have not corrected named who I am raising the claim against.

Can anyone help with who I should name and the address for court action?

Thanks,

Dominic

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

Sorry to butt in to someone else thread but I wondered if you could settle me nerves!!

I actioned a 'Summary Cause Summons' (Scottish system) on the Nationwide for payment of £1,248 + fees. They had 21 days to reply before I won the case by default. I received a letter from a solicitors firm in Edinburgh saying that they wish to defend yesterday, one day before the 21 days was due to expire. The actual court hearing date on the summons is for next Friday 28th, and I am now worried that they are going to turn up!

Can anyone settle my nerves? Do you think they will show?

Hi there,

I actioned a 'Summary Cause Summons' (Scottish system) on the Nationwide for payment of £1,248 + fees. They had 21 days to reply before I won the case by default. I received a letter from a solicitors firm in Edinburgh saying that they wish to defend yesterday, one day before the 21 days was due to expire. The actual court hearing date on the summons is for next Friday 28th, and I am now worried that they are going to turn up!

Can anyone settle my nerves? Do you think they will show?

Solicitors letter read:

Morton Fraser Solicitors, Edinburgh.

Dear Sir,

YOU V NATIONWIDE BUILDING SOCIETY

PERTH SHERIFF COURT

We refer to the above matter and enclose defences on behalf of our clients. These have been lodged in process.

Defences

Admited that this court has jurisduction.

Admitted that the pursuer wroteo the defenders seeking to reclaim the total of £1,285.

Admitted that the defender refused to accept the pursuers request and dismissed his claim in writing. Quoad ultra denied.

Explained and averred that the pursuer has a cdit card account with the defenders. When that account was opened the pursuer agreed to the defenders credit card terms and conditions of business. Clause 3 of said terms allows the defenders to levy additional charges in the event that the pursuers fails to make a payment, goes over his credit limit, makes a late payment, or if the defenders are oblidged to telephone the pursuer or call at his address because he breaches said conditions. Clause 4 of the terms and conditions permits the defenders to make reasonable changes to the charges levied. On 28th June 2006 they sent a leaflet to the pursuer informing him of the new charges payable under clause 3.

The pursuer breached his contract with the defenders. In particular, he breached his obligation not to go over his credit limit. Due to said breach the defenders leived charges puruant to said clause.

hi there, you must be getting very wobbly now!!!! from everyone i've seen on here they will not show but you must be prepared to go to court if they do. i'm not sure if things are different in scotland? but i received my "intend to defend" notification and the money was in my account the next day. my advice to you would be to keep checking your account in the next week to see if it goes in but you may want to join the court buddy system on here to find someone to lend moral support etc incase they go that far? and read up on what laws they are breaking etc so you know what to say?- theres a good section in the library on this - but i wouldn't panic too much they just want you to back out so they don't have to pay you, i thought i was going to be the one they picked on just as every body on here thought at one point. keep checking your account and let us know what happens. GOOD LUCK

oooeee

As a mathematics degree student i know their figures don't add up!!!! join the Revolution!!!

Nationwide Building society £1778.55 LBA sent 22.06.2006 Claim filed at Truro court 07/07/2006 for £1842.78 Acknowledgement recieved 19/07/2006 "intend to defend". £246.73 (interest on amount) paid into account 20/07/2006 Remaining £1595 paid into account 21/07/2006

Littlewoods catalogue looking into late charges. £80 of charges made phone call 16/07/2006 letter going out 21/07/2006

Hello,

I contacted the sheriff court today and they confirmed that they had heard from this solicitor. They solicitor claims that they are going to appear this Friday at the hearing date. I have taken the morning off to appear so I will keep you guys updated as to what happens!

I think that it will just be me that shows up on Friday but you never know!!

What do you guys think?

OMG i would be sh******g a brick by now!! just make sure you read up on everything just incase but i bet you a fiver they don't show. perhaps we could run a book on it? wouldn't get very good odds though. have you got a court buddy? have you checked your account just incase the money is already there? my thoughts are with you mate good luck

oooeee

As a mathematics degree student i know their figures don't add up!!!! join the Revolution!!!

Nationwide Building society £1778.55 LBA sent 22.06.2006 Claim filed at Truro court 07/07/2006 for £1842.78 Acknowledgement recieved 19/07/2006 "intend to defend". £246.73 (interest on amount) paid into account 20/07/2006 Remaining £1595 paid into account 21/07/2006

Littlewoods catalogue looking into late charges. £80 of charges made phone call 16/07/2006 letter going out 21/07/2006

Best of luck against Nationwide Let us know how you get on ,I'm owed about £2,500 in unlawful charges by Nationwide and have broken up into batches of £740.00 (whimped out of summary cause using scottish small claims).See CharlieHo V Nationwide

Charlie

Nationwide Total settlement for first claim £810.92 (Charges £570.00) total charges £2579.00 (Another 4 claims to make)

Tesco personal Finance -NO penalty charges see post end thread

Egg DPA complaint sent to ICO see thread

Egg also trying to get defaults removed

Abbey National/MBNA credit Card - Eventually settled in FULL:)

Citibank Preliminary sent 19/08/06

MBNA DPA sent 30/07/06

Mrs CharlieHo v Providian DPA sent 30/07/06

MORE TO FOLLOW

Advice & opinions of CharlieHo are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Any news on this yet, have you checked your account to see if any money has gone in?

Please do keep us updated as I am thinking of you. If I were in Scotland I would definitely come with you on Friday....is there anyone on the buddy system that can?

I am still hoping that no-one does turn up but are you well prepared, just in case? You know WHY you are claiming these, and the grounds? Please stay in touch and I'll do my best to help you.

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

Hi guys,

2 days to go!!

Nationwide don't have my bank account number as the Summary Cause Summons system does give you the option to enter your banking details. I spoke to the sheriff officer on Tuesday afternoon for some advice and he told me that the hearing this Friday will be an initial hearing only and really only to ensure that both parties plan to continue with the claim/defence. He said that it would be an initial 5 minute session and that we would then receive a second hearing date to get down to the nitty gritty. I'm hoping that they will not turn up!!

My wife did receive a phone call from the Nationwide this afternoon though, looking for me, however I was still at work. She gave my mobile number but they did not call....I wonder if they were calling to make me an offer??

I'm not sure how the buddy system works?? Can anyone help?

The Buddy System can be found HERE. They are people in your area who may be willing to go to court with you I believe. It might be a bit too late though now as it is such short notice.

I imagine that Nationwide did want to speak to you about the case and I bet that they call back tomorrow.

Can I ask why you never broke the claim down so it was under £750?

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

Any update ???

Hey Dolly,

Interesting day today!

I recevied a call from Nationwide this afternoon. They wanted to confirm my postal address for forwarding a cheque for £693! However....the amount they are refunding is for my Flex current account that I had noted in my original letter to them way back at the start! The court summons i have actioned was for the fees applied to my credit card - £1,285 and I was going to action a second claim for the £693 via small claims. I asked them if they planned on settling my credit card fees but they told me that it was a different dept that delt with credit card claims. I took this dept number and called. They knew nothing of my claim (or so they said) and told me that they would get back to me. They called me back within 20 mins and said that the recent OFT ruling stated that the maximum that any bank could apply was £12 therefore Nationwide were prepared to only pay me £8 of the £20 fee's applied to my account. Also...as Nationwide charges were £12 up until 2004 they would only offer to may me £8 per fee as of 2004! I refused and told them I would see them in court!!

They called me back again and said that if I was not prepared to accept this offer then a representative would appear tomorrow morning at Perth Sheriff Court, 9.30am.

I am extremely confident that no-one will show. How could they hope to successfully challenge me after agreeing to refund my current account fees and then offering me part payment for the credit card claim.....surely this is admitting their guilt?!?!

What's you view?

Dominic

I reckon you will be getting a phonecall about 8am tomorrow morning with some office junior snivelling that they will pay them all. Either that or they won't turn up and if they do it'll be no biggie if it is just to postpone to a later date.

As for the £12 thing that is just a smokescreen, a lot of them are doing that and at the moment it is just a guideline by the OFT, nothing has been passed to say that they are perfectly legitimate charges.

The thing is, if they do ring to settle early doors tomorrow you need to make sure that the money is in your account before the court hearing at 9.30 otherwise you make sure you turn up. They could try and trick you, saying they will pay it in the hope that you don't turn up and they can get the case thrown out.

Hiya,

Yeah I have taken the morning off from work so will be going regardless.

I have told a guys in the office at work all about my claim and they are all busy looking out their bank statements!

I have actually completed other claim forms for Clydesdale, Cahoot, Egg and was waiting first to see what happened with the Nationwide...a test case as you will!

I have already opened an accout with the RBS in advance of submitting my Clydesdale claim..got £100 for swopping too!

Will be in touch tomorrow afternoon to let you know the outcome.

I can just see them offering you a wad of cash on the steps of the court :lol:

Will be thinking of you in the morning, please do update as soon as possible.

i'm excited and nervous for you!! i wish i lived up there to come and give you some support but thinking of you.

oooeee

Just keeping this near the top.....hope it went OK.

You do realise that my nerves are in pieces here??? :lol:

Just been reading this thread as I too will be taking on the Nationwide in Scotland... I was getting so worried for you. I hope everything went ok this morning. I am dying to hear how everything went.

if i log onto this post one more time today my other half says he'll divorce me!!!! so doing it secret whilst he's out lol. i'm hoping all went well for you mate xx

oooeee

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6400 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks