ITMC

SORN and Tax/insurance payments

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3925 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Guys,

I own a moped I was using to go to work. Last october I moved house and since then I have not been using it as there is no safe parking outside my house and it is more convenient to use the tube for me now.

The other day I realised that my tax disc expired two month ago and I found out there is the need to do this SORN declaration even if I do not use my moped. I' ve been naive and just thought that if you don't use your vehicle outside your garage you don't need to insure it and pay tax and just take it off the road.

So now (a bit late I know!:rolleyes:) I realised I have to send the V5 for the change of address and declare SORN, but there are this 2 missing months of tax and my insurance expired 1 month ago. I called DVLA twice but they were not very helpful. What is the correct procedure now? Send the V5 for the change of address and declare SORN when I get it back? What happens if there are 2 months of gap between tax payment and SORN and 1 month of no insurance?

Any help and suggestion would be greatly appreciated! :)

I think you can back tax it.

If you find the old reminder and just pay for it.

It seems there is a £80 charge for not being taxed and it looks like it will be cheaper just to back tax it.

tax it very quick before the DVLA issue a sorn fine - If they havent done so already. I suspect they may have already but to your old address.

check the status of the vehicle on the dvla databse online

• Haha 1

Opinions are offered in good faith based upon personal experience and research. Before making any irreversible decisions the opinion of a qualified, registered and insured legal professional should be sought.

If my advice or information has assisted you in any way - please click my scales.

thanks

Nat West Charges £1056 WON

RBS Charges £3600 WON

RBS Unenforceable Loan £18500 Pending

RBS PPI on loan above Pending

MBNA Credit Card CCA & SAR Sent

Co-op Credit Card CCA Sent

Hi flyingdoc,

looks like you're my saviour in both my threads...thanks for the useful hint! I just checked the DVLA database and it reports "vehicle status: unlicensed"... what does that mean, that they have still not issued the SORN fine to my old address?

I cannot tax the vehicle as I don't have a valid insurance/MOT now...:rolleyes:

sorn it online - do it now.

Opinions are offered in good faith based upon personal experience and research. Before making any irreversible decisions the opinion of a qualified, registered and insured legal professional should be sought.

If my advice or information has assisted you in any way - please click my scales.

thanks

Nat West Charges £1056 WON

RBS Charges £3600 WON

RBS Unenforceable Loan £18500 Pending

RBS PPI on loan above Pending

MBNA Credit Card CCA & SAR Sent

Co-op Credit Card CCA Sent

Shall I change the address and wait for the V5 to come back before doing the online SORN? Otherwise any kind of comunication they will send me will be at the wrong address...

SORN on line ASAP. Never mind the paper confirmation, it's the data base thats important.

Thank you guys, just did the SORN online. It said that there is a gap between the tax and the sorn declaration and that this is an offence 8) , the enforcement department could contact me...:( let's see what happens...

Hopefully they will only come after you for the missing 2 months tax, which I guess is about 3 quid, or if you're really lucky, because you got in before they came chasing you, nothing might happen at all.