SORN and Tax/insurance payments

ITMC
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5603 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I own a moped I was using to go to work. Last october I moved house and since then I have not been using it as there is no safe parking outside my house and it is more convenient to use the tube for me now.

The other day I realised that my tax disc expired two month ago and I found out there is the need to do this SORN declaration even if I do not use my moped. I' ve been naive and just thought that if you don't use your vehicle outside your garage you don't need to insure it and pay tax and just take it off the road.

So now (a bit late I know!:rolleyes:) I realised I have to send the V5 for the change of address and declare SORN, but there are this 2 missing months of tax and my insurance expired 1 month ago. I called DVLA twice but they were not very helpful. What is the correct procedure now? Send the V5 for the change of address and declare SORN when I get it back? What happens if there are 2 months of gap between tax payment and SORN and 1 month of no insurance?

Any help and suggestion would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hi flyingdoc,

looks like you're my saviour in both my threads...thanks for the useful hint! I just checked the DVLA database and it reports "vehicle status: unlicensed"... what does that mean, that they have still not issued the SORN fine to my old address?

I cannot tax the vehicle as I don't have a valid insurance/MOT now...:rolleyes:

Shall I change the address and wait for the V5 to come back before doing the online SORN? Otherwise any kind of comunication they will send me will be at the wrong address...

Thank you guys, just did the SORN online. It said that there is a gap between the tax and the sorn declaration and that this is an offence 8) , the enforcement department could contact me...:( let's see what happens...

Hopefully they will only come after you for the missing 2 months tax, which I guess is about 3 quid, or if you're really lucky, because you got in before they came chasing you, nothing might happen at all.