Jump to content


Military SAR

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3926 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Sorry if this is the wrong thread I couldn't find one to match. Feel free to move it.


I recently was informed that the military had lost a hard drive containing a lot of personal data (about my 10 yrs service). They issued a helpline and email address for anyone concerned. I emailed and was told not to worry they'd only lost my "general service information and appraisal profile" but no bank data.


This worried me a great deal so I wrote back, along as to my MP, to ask exactly what they had lost. They did not respond and my MP didn't acknowledge my second letter.


I asked for all my data, except anything they legally had to keep to be removed and said I'd Subject Access Request them in a month. Now I'm doing that. I'd be grateful for any advice on my letter:




21 Dec 08

Dear Sir/Madam


Please accept this letter as a Subject Access Request under the relevant legislation. I request copies of any information that you hold pertaining to me whether on paper files, computer systems or voice or video recordings.

I require full disclosure and any information that is held both centrally and by any stations or units that I have served at or with. As such I would expect to receive documentation from any unit or deployment that shows on my service record or copies of the certification that the records have been destroyed. This should include, but is not limited to:

· Annual Appraisals.

· Service History.

· Honours and Awards Information.

· Deployment Information.

· Pay, Pension and Financial Information.

· Vetting information.

· Medical Records.

· Training records (including tri-service establishments).


Please ensure that the information you supply includes a full copy of my personnel file from (BASE NAME) including paperwork relating to my (PERSONNEL PROCESS) request and processing and medical records. This should include the contents of the file and any loose minutes on the file.

I also require copies of any certificates of destruction for any of my personal information that you have destroyed and you are no longer able to provide. If there is any information about me that you are not able to provide I require you to confirm the details of the information and the appropriate legislation that you are relying on to withhold satisfying my request.

In order to confirm my identity I enclose a copy of my passport. In addition you will find that my address matches my last address on your records when I served at (BASE NAME). Many thanks for your assistance.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

MOD's policy (JSP400 refers) is quite clear that a SAR can be in any form, either the MOD Form or a letter. If you'd like a copy of the form, I can email it to you (after the grant). It's policy not to charge.


Where are you sending your SAR? There are single service addresses, or you can send it direct to the Data Compliance people at Main Building (I refuse to call it 'Head Office'). Again, I can provide these if you want.


MOD lost my data too - and all I and others seem to be able to get are bland 'no harm done' statements.


Your MP should not ignore correspondence; if he or she thinks they can't help any more they usually tell you. I'd give his/her constituency office a ring to ensure the letter was received - some of them appear to have DCA-stylee postal services, especially regarding government embarrassments!

  • Haha 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...