• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Why is no one claiming the contractual rate of interest???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yup, thanks Glenn & Seminole for getting to the bottom of that - makes me a lot more confident with my big RBoS claim :D One to definitely keep up the sleeve if the judge allocates to anything other than the track the charges amount should go to :)

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I calculate that you have applied £xxx.xx in levies and further, I also claim interest at a rate of 22.9% as set out in the attached list of charges. I believe this rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on your Cash Advance interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account. Therefore the total amount owed as of today’s date is £xxx.xx.

Sorry, quick question.. anyone know what the "attached list of charges" should be?

I mean do I attach my calculations for the total amount or should it be one of their docs? Or something else?

Sorry if I'm being dense.

Settled in full £3,610.28!!!

Sorry, quick question.. anyone know what the "attached list of charges" should be?

I mean do I attach my calculations for the total amount or should it be one of their docs? Or something else?

Sorry if I'm being dense.

Hi JMC160. This will be your spreadsheet, or whatever you have used to calculate how much they owe you. But yes, it is YOUR list of charges, plus whatever interest you are claiming. You might want to check out a few threads on this, if you're not sure, and if you haven't got a spreadsheet, there are some available in Vampiress's Chambers.

HTH.,

Bill.

Thanks Bill.

Yes I do have a spreadsheet so I'll put one in with my letter. As far as interest goes, the only documents I have to work out charges etc is a one page list the bank sent me that shows dates, charge amount, TXN amount (whatever that is), available balance and my o/d limit at the time so I don't think I can work out the o/d interest I'm owed so I think I'll have to leave that one. Unless anyone knows of a way to do it?

I sent the standard SAR letter and the one page of info is what they sent. I could write to them again, but I've only got three months until the charges start to pass the 6 year limit so I was hoping to use what I have.

But if anyone has a good wording for a letter for this I'd be happy tpo consider it.

3 months is ok. I've just had a look at the S.A.R. letter and it does request a complete list of transactions or copies of statements. Is there any chance that this was a complete list and you didn't have any interest charges? Otherwise I'd write back and say you need details of all transactions.

I sent the standard S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter and the one page of info is what they sent. I could write to them again, but I've only got three months until the charges start to pass the 6 year limit so I was hoping to use what I have.

But if anyone has a good wording for a letter for this I'd be happy tpo consider it.

As Bong says, maybe that one SAR sheet is all there is for you. Unless you were charged a lot and/or very often, it may not then be worth claiming the O/D interest. Assuming you're claiming contractual interest, then make sure your spreadsheet is calculating it as compound interest.

I'm pretty sure there are some letters posted in the forum for requesting more DPA SAR info, etc.

Regarding the 6-year limit - that is also very much in question, both with regard to your claim, and to requesting DPA SAR info. Worth checking out the forum, too !!

HTH.,

Bill.

Hi,

I am pursuing a claim and intend to use compounded unauthorised rate, so I am using Vampiress's No. 5 spreadsheet. I have a small problem on one account where at certain times (unusually) the account is in credit on the day the interest is charged which is th figure I am using to estimate the overdraft. If the account is in credit the spreadsheet creates positive values for 'Bank Interest on Penalties' and 'Interest on Bank Interest on Penalties'. This effectively is giving money back to the bank on the dates the account is in credit instead of returning a zero value. It doesn't amount to much but every little helps and it would be prudent to be as accurate as possible.

Is it just the way I am reading it or is it a problem with the formula?

I am hoping to get my LBA off in the next couple of days and don't think I'll have time to get my head around the formula. Sorry if I appear to be lazy but I have another bigger battle with an insurance company which is taking my time.

Cheers,

Dik

Sorry, that should have read 'negative values' for Bank Interst and Interest on Bank Interest.

Another minor query.

Why is the Interest free overdraft given a value of 0 on the first line then 1 on all others. I have no Interest Free Overdraft so am setting them all to 0.

Cheers,

Dik

luckman I believe the only way around this would be to calculate your average balance over the month - which is what I did although I wasn't using this particular spreadsheet. Total up your daily balances and divide it by the number of days in the month. I'm not assuming you couldn't do this, just thought I would provide my method for clarity. I think it's more accurate anyway than just using the balance at the date the interest was applied.

Bong,

Thanks for the reply.

I did consider your method but 2000+ data entries on each of two accounts is too time consuming for me. I also considered using high and low and diving by two but the result over a test sample was not significantly different. Thought of using 1st or last day of each month, unfortunately before being self-employed my payday made this detrimental.

Now I have your confirmation it is a 'feature'and not my incompetence, I have modified the formula to embed the original formula inside another 'IF' which test for the balance being positive and, if so, returns nil interest. It only gives me about another £20 but may stand up to scrutiny if it should go to court.

Cheers,

Dik

Hi all

Good thread just linking in

Regards

MF5

Halifax Bank plc £1573 settled 19/6/ 06 :D

Abbey National PLC

Settled in full £1,754 15/9/06 :grin:

Halifax Credit Card £441.63 settled in full 27/10/06 :-)

Mortgage Express ERP

Pre letter 10/7/06

LBA 27/7/06

MCOL issued 6/9/06

Court Date Feb 06

Lost in court costs awarded £7,500PAYPAL [email protected]

Hi everyone, I've just caught up to speed with this thread - for the life of me I can't find an example to use for my particulars of claim.

I've given Natwest prelim & LBA letters all including contractual interest.

I assume I can't do this on MCOL and would need to file N1 in person?

any help with PoC would be appreciated - regards.

Dayglo, cheack out mindzai and lucid thread in the loyds section, they posted their poc for contractual interest which i pretty much copied. mine are in my thread in NatWest section too.

Echo that - Mindzai's are also on "A New way of Looking at Interest" as well I believe. Very good example, I thought, and have used them on several claims.

• 1 month later...

Hello I am using Vampiress's spreadsheet to calculate compounded contractual interest for my Credit Card claim,the simple version.(as I am!!:D )

My question is that since 2001 I have twice paid off the balances in full to the CC company, which included all their charges at the time. When entering a claim date should I enter the dates on each spreadsheet as the date the credit card was settled?:confused: . or to todays date?????:confused:

For example between Jan 2001 and august 2003 I owed £1381, I have entered the charges and the spreadsheet has worked out the interest amounts from when the date was charged to the settlement of the full balance (because I entered the claim date as August 2003!). and am worried that they will think I am taking the mickey!!

Is this wrong????

I have then started another spreadsheet forom August 2003 to december 2005 charges and yet again settled the balance (idiot!!!) and only put the claim date in as to when the balance was settled.

I really need your help as it seems other peeps are charging todays date, obviously this would make the interest much higher. However what worries me is (and maybe I have misinterpreted what I have read!!!) is that if the FULL balance is settled at any time then the compounded interest would stop.

Have I got this all wrong I am very confused as to whether I should complete one spreadsheet from 2001 to currrent or seperate to each balances being paid off!:confused: :confused: :confused:

CAPITAL ONE (O/H!): Won £1864.63 including contractual :D

GE MONEY: WON £266.00

on first appearances mmm I would say you were right to keep the three periods on separate spreadsheets but you need to put in the current date as the claim date, not the date the balance was paid off. this will then work out the interest they owe you up to today, for having had your money that long.

thats just my first thoughts. I hope someone else can confirm this for you as I could be wrong.

Milly - yes this is wrong. But this is also good, because you've not just gone ahead and claimed - you've asked first. And getting this right will increase the interest you're claiming !!

Provided this is all pertaining to the one credit card account, it doesn't matter about whether you paid it off several times. That only affects the interest they charged you. That interest is not the contractual interest you are claiming now.

What you are doing by claiming contractual interest now is, in effect, charging them interest on the money they have taken from you unlawfully (the penalty charges) over the time you have had the account with them. You are charging them interest now, in the same way that they charge(d) you interest. That's why it's called contractual, because you're both parties to the same contract.

You simply set up your spready to work out the C.I. on each charge up to the claim date, and charge the bank's current rate on the lot. Make sure your spready is calculating compound and not simple interest for this.

So, it's actually simpler than you think, and you can claim more than you thought !!

Hope that cheers you up, matey !! :)

• Haha 1

Hi, Milly

If you're making a single claim against

one company, then you should put them all on the same spreadsheet.

Put in the 'date of claim' the date when you write to them, requesting your money back.

While you've clearly paid the balances off, two things should be considered: one, that you were being charged interest on these charges, and second, that you have been denied use of the money. In the former case, what you have done so far quantifies your actual demonstrable loss. In the second, then your argument is about equity - that this is what the company would have charged you if you'd held on to its money.

Keep what you have done so far anyway - it may come in useful at a later date. But when it comes to asking for repayment and filing the claim, use a single spreadsheet that accumulates interest to the present day.

Hope this helps

Westy

• Haha 1

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

Hi, Milly

If you're making a single claim against

one company, then you should put them all on the same spreadsheet.

Put in the 'date of claim' the date when you write to them, requesting your money back.

While you've clearly paid the balances off, two things should be considered: one, that you were being charged interest on these charges, and second, that you have been denied use of the money. In the former case, what you have done so far quantifies your actual demonstrable loss. In the second, then your argument is about equity - that this is what the company would have charged you if you'd held on to its money.

Keep what you have done so far anyway - it may come in useful at a later date. But when it comes to asking for repayment and filing the claim, use a single spreadsheet that accumulates interest to the present day.

Hope this helps

Westy

westy, s'me again - are you sure about this?

by doing three spreadsheets (all up to the current date) you are still getting contractual interest on the charges and credit card interest you've paid.

however, by putting all the charges into one spreadsheet, what would happen is that it would apportion credit card interest against charges that are no longer part of the balance owed to the credit card co. and are therefore no longer attracting 'purchase' interest. this wouldn't be accurate.

Take your point, Bong, but Milly said she's using the simple version.

BUT - it's worth checking one point: Milly, are you simply entering the charges that have been levied onto your spreadsheet or are you entering everything from your account?

If the latter, how are your fingers standing up to all the data inputting?:D

Westy

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

Thankyou Bill-K and Bong.:)

This better than I thought and thank you for clarifying this, and yes it is the samee CC company.

Using their current interest rate of 17.93% and totalling up to todays date the amount is so much more!:D

Just one other, should I send three spreadsheets in or just the one i.e from jan 2001 to current showing all the charges?

Thank you for all this help:)

CAPITAL ONE (O/H!): Won £1864.63 including contractual :D

GE MONEY: WON £266.00