• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Why is no one claiming the contractual rate of interest???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4775 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The majority opinion in Westdeutsche was that there was no need to change practice to allow compound interest except in cases of fraud or breach of trust. The minority opinion was that, in this daya and age, no one uses simple interest for anything and therefore compound interest should be allowed.

The majority opinion in Sempra was to uphold the minority view in Westdeutsche - that compound interest is allowable even in cases not involving fraud or breach of trust.

Thus Sempra removes the bar on compound interest. Of course, persuadiung a judge to actually award compound interest is a different matter as hagenuk implies.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority opinion in Westdeutsche was that there was no need to change practice to allow compound interest except in cases of fraud or breach of trust. The minority opinion was that, in this daya and age, no one uses simple interest for anything and therefore compound interest should be allowed.

The majority opinion in Sempra was to uphold the minority view in Westdeutsche - that compound interest is allowable even in cases not involving fraud or breach of trust.

Thus Sempra removes the bar on compound interest. Of course, persuadiung a judge to actually award compound interest is a different matter as hagenuk implies.

Very interesting debate. I think "removes the bar on compound interest" is a bit strong and what actually happened was that the Court decided that no interest, whether compound or simple, was recoverable at common law and the court was considered to have no jurisdiction to make an award of compound interest on a personal claim for restitution of a sum of money paid by mistake or following an unlawful demand (Westdeutsche v Islington), but sometimes interest, compound as well as simple, was recoverable in equity.

However, in Sempra Metals Ltdv Inland Revenue an award of compound interest was necessary to achieve full restitution and, hence, a just result. Lord Nicholls held that, in the exercise of its common-law restitutionary jurisdiction, the court had power to make such an award.

Here, as elsewhere, the law of restitution was sufficiently flexible to achieve a just result. To avoid what would otherwise be an unjust outcome the court could, in an appropriate case, depart from the market-value approach when assessing the time value of money or, indeed, when assessing the value of any other benefit gained by a defendant.

The interest rate for any restitutionary claim therefore should be the rate at which you could borrow the relevant amounts you state you have lost in the market at the relevant time. Somewhat far short of the rates that many of these claims are made for and very probably the reason that so many of them are bound to fail. Couple that with the desire to have these cases heard on the Small Claims Track and you begin to see why so many are simply dismissed.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

I have been following this debate with interest as I need to put together a skeleton argument to support my credit card claim for contractual interest being paid out vs the standard 8% for a hearing to argue the point. I can't find any thread which has such a template. Would it be safe(ish) as far as these things go to use the #2051 argument as a starting point. And yes I do know that these are opinions not facts but I do need to start somewhere. Any help or opinions would be very welcome.

I have been following this debate with interest as I need to put together a skeleton argument to support my credit card claim for contractual interest being paid out vs the standard 8% for a hearing to argue the point. I can't find any thread which has such a template. Would it be safe(ish) as far as these things go to use the #2051 argument as a starting point. And yes I do know that these are opinions not facts but I do need to start somewhere. Any help or opinions would be very welcome.

We're in the same boat and that's what I'll be doing. I trust Steven's knowledge and skills ... :wink: Go to the Cases Library and read the Sempra case :)

The interest rate for any restitutionary claim therefore should be the rate at which you could borrow the relevant amounts you state you have lost in the market at the relevant time. Somewhat far short of the rates that many of these claims are made for and very probably the reason that so many of them are bound to fail.
I agree entirely. I have always advocate using one's ow bank's authorised overdraft rate for these claims on exactly those gruonds.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to claim the contractual rate in my store card claim against Argos, but I have come up against rather a huge snag. Either my maths is off (more than likely), or the calculator I used for my interest gave me an inaccurate total as it is scarcely more than the 8% I originally calculated.

There is more detail in my thread (linked below) if anyone can clarify things for me I would be very grateful.

Many thanks!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-stores/113927-shoe-em-argos-store.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Emily x

• 1 month later...

Prelim and Schedule of charges for Currrent Account and Credit Card prepared for Halifax today. Am claiming all the way back to the late 1980s for the charges and am claiming Contractual Interest at the Authorised o/d rate for the bank a/c and the purchase rate for the card; with S.69 in the alternative for both.

Current A/c a £9000-ish claim in the first instance and a £4000-ish claim if S.69 is applied. (actual charges were c.£2400).

Card is much lower - only £350 charges over 15 years for this one (what a relatively good boy I was hehe!), interest approx. £800 total £1150.

Reading up on case law & arguments and preparing docs for the next stages.

Both posted, affixed with shiny colourful CAG labels and lovingly adorned with the Royal Mail's finest hand-peeled, seasonal stamps. Happy Christmas, Howard!

:D

• 04/04/07 - £104 exit fee refund - Portman BS
  • Halifax Current a/c 20yr (closed) - in progress - all 20 years statements recovered!
  • Halifax Platinum Card 15 yr - Court Action Commenced - all 15 years statements recovered!
  • A&L Current a/c - You're next..

Write to your MP and

COMPLAIN about the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT Test Case is being handled!

Hi

I used the 'blueyonder' spreadsheet. Although the charges went back a long time, they were few and far between. 15 charges between 1994 and 2007.

I used the purchase rate of 20.9%. Does this still sound wrong?

Mac

• Halifax Current a/c 20yr (closed) - in progress - all 20 years statements recovered!
  • Halifax Platinum Card 15 yr - Court Action Commenced - all 15 years statements recovered!

Write to your MP and

COMPLAIN about the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT Test Case is being handled!

Thanks Steven

This sheet is working it out at, for example:

26/04/94 Late Payment Charge @ £10 123.30

So about 12.5x. The worksheet is showing today's date. Do you think something might be wrong here? :confused:

Mac

Write to your MP and

Thanks very much for checking , Steven.

noomil060

How did you work that out? You cant have very many.
You're quite correct - I don't have many charges on the Credit Card claim - only 15 over 15 years - small beer when compared with others on CAG - but just as worth claiming! ;)

Write to your MP and

• 3 months later...

I would like to charge this rate but it is too complicated for me, I would have to pay someone to work it out

my barclaycard since asking for charges back has gone from 400 to 770 all charges as they have not put me in default but are adding charges every month (no more statements arriving though) + interest at a very high rate:eek:

I am going to cca them this week just in case as if I just go for the charges and 8 per cent I will still be in debt + the fact I cannot even afford to lodge a claim with mcol at the moment

Barclaycard Student credit card £400 partial refund received, S.A.R -

Open & Direct Finance- extortionate, cca to Rockwell debt collection they ran away, now with Bryan Carter, no cca 17/03/08 sent back to Open

Pugsley v Littlwoods, have not received the signed credit agreement only quoting reg of 1983

Pugsley v Fashion World JD williams, 17/03 2008 Debt Managers returning file to JD williams as they could not supply the credit agreement

Capital one MCOL Settled in full

Smile lba settled in full

advice is given informally and without liability and without prejudice.

The spreadsheet works it out for you. It really is NOT as difficult as you think. Charge them the rate and if you get stuck we will help out.

Me and Mrs P haven't lost one yet charging rates up to 30 % plus.

Good luck

Mr P

Hello Steven,

Sorry to jump in and ask what may by now be a silly question, but what is "Sempra"?? I have a large claim with Royal Bank of Scotland which has been on hold for a few months now as I wish to claim CI and they weren't playing ball so stopped everything when the test case was announced, only just getting back into it and i'm sure things have progressed :-o

SM:p

Paying interest on a loan caused by penalty charges? Read this!!

Very useful A-Z here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html?highlight=can%27t+find+what+you%27re+looking+for%3F

New strategy for Scots claims here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/71013-urgent-attention-please-read.html

Scottish procedure:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/42620-scottish-procedure.html

I am a layperson not a legal expert, my advice is offered without prejudice or liability, it is purely my opinion based on personal experience and should be treated as such. If in any doubt seek the advice of a qualified professional.

The Sempra judgement - use the forum search tool to find more detailed discussions - provides the basis for claiming CI on the basis of restitution for your bank's unjust enrichment. Prior to this, most such claims relied on the principles of mutuality and reciprocity but this argument is now dead in the water.

NatWest: seeking unlawful charges + interest incurred as a result of those charges of £4,292.82 and contractual interest (compounded) of £4,559.41. Court claim issued 16.01.08; acknowledgement of service filled by Cobbetts on 30.01.08

Thanks guys, very helpful.......i'll have a proper read of it tomorrow, going to bed now! :o

Paying interest on a loan caused by penalty charges? Read this!!

Very useful A-Z here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html?highlight=can%27t+find+what+you%27re+looking+for%3F

New strategy for Scots claims here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/71013-urgent-attention-please-read.html

Scottish procedure:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/royal-bank-scotland/42620-scottish-procedure.html

I am a layperson not a legal expert, my advice is offered without prejudice or liability, it is purely my opinion based on personal experience and should be treated as such. If in any doubt seek the advice of a qualified professional.

Lucky you, i'm at work until 6am.

Sempra is quoted when claiming CI on the basis of restitution for your bank's unjust enrichment.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers