E&L pet insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We took out a policy with DBA pet insurance, it was later sold on to Equine and Leisure >

We put in a claim back in August for one of our dogs, everytime we chase the claim we get told it's ''In Hand'' and they will ''get back'' to us.

Any ideas where we go from here, have you had the same thing with E&L??

Many thanks,

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am in my second year of my policy with E&L insurance.

My dog has developed am allergy whi involved 4 courses of antihistime since about July 2008. None of the bills exceeded the excess of £65, so I didn't claim. As we were insured (!) the vet offered to do a blood test to try and pinpoint the exact allergy. It cost £238.

I claimed for the amount and also included the receipts for the previous consultations.

I have now been told -

"Re: Exclusion notice

Further to a review of the risk presented on this policy, with effect from 12.09.08, we feel the need to place the following exclusion: cover for allergies of any cause and all related conditions."

This date obviously preceeds the date of her very expensive blood test.

I fail to see how an insurance company, having received a claim for a condition can say " actually we placed an exclusion on this condion 3 months ago but did not tell you"

The whole point of insurance is to have the reassurance you can pay for any vets bills if your animal becomes ill.

If she got cancer - would they say " we stopped covering your pet for cancer last year - but did not tell you"

I have never claimed on this policy before, so obviously do not abuse my insurance.

I empathise with your experience, Mr Lex, and wonder if anybody can advise how I should word a challenge regarding the application of an exclusion several months ago and of which we were not informed?

Many thanks

Edited by taylormandy
spelling error

Hi TaylorMandy,

After much chasing E&L have now agreed to pay approx 60% of our claim. Their main sticking point was we took the dog Stright to the animal hospital rather than waste time being refereed by our usual vet, the dog was too ill to risk leaving her for another two or three days for basic tests to be carried out.

In your case I suggest you ask your vet to write a letter explaining why the blood test was necessary and any results he has had back. Support your claim by informing E&L what you are now doing in terms of diet, bedding or what ever was cursing the allergy to prevent this happening again. Point out, again, that these tests took place before their exclusion was in place. You should have no trouble with your vet and his letter as they are as keen as anyone to get paid !!

I will look into any next steps we can take and get back to you ASAP.

I hope your dog is on the mend.

Lex

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

&

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Quick update.

Insurance disputes are now covered by the FOS.

resolving insurance-related disputes

I'll have a word with them when their back from their 'Winter Break'

Lex

&

It would appear to be the same procedure we use for dealing with 'Hardship' case's in the Banking forums. I will have a better idea after the weekend.

our complaints procedure and how to complain

Lex

&

Hi Lex

Thanks for your speedy advice.

Unfortunately, we paid the vet at the time, then submitted the claim. However, we have been with this vet for many years, so I'm hoping they may support us with a letter.

From what I can gather, E&L state the animal must be "in perfect health" prior to the start, or renewal, of the policy. Any "pre-existing" conditions are automatically excluded at renewal.

So what they are saying is that Daisy had a pre-existing condition when I renewed, which is therfore excluded. Their policy states in small print "This insurance is intended to provide insurance against unexpected rather than inevitable events"

I wanted reassurance that I could afford any vets bills should she become ill! What animal is going to stay "in perfect health"?

What is more infuriating is that the blood test was negative and they could not identify any allergen. So she goes red and blotchy and chews her paws incessently all summer, without any obvious cause!!!

Anyway, I shall continue to pursue this and will let you know how we get on.

I'm glad you managed to get at least some of your money back.

Mandy

E&L are the ONLY insurers my vets will not claim from direct, they have a very big notice up saying that the customer must pay up and claim themselves. I have known people succeed in getting a full payout from them but only in response to a solicitors letter.

I breed pedigree cats and if I were prepared to recommend E&L to my new kitten owners they would pay me a tenner for every one I sent their way. I'd rather starve. They are the only company I tell my buyers to avoid.

Admittedly Petplan do reward me for sending each kitten off with their 6 weeks free cover but not quite so blatantly and not nearly so handsomely. If you're looking for pet insurance ask your local vet which companies they like dealing with. It's a fair indication of who pays up when you need to make a claim.

Hi Mandy,

I'll let you know how I get on with the FOS.

It would help if we both contact them, but please wait untill I have the proceedure stright with them.

I hope this cold spell is suiting Daisy's condition. There's nothing worse than a itchy dog !!

Lex

• Haha 1

&

So what they are saying is that Daisy had a pre-existing condition when I renewed, which is therfore excluded

This is how many of the cheaper policies work, any condition existing at the renewal date will be excluded from further cover.

The next level of cover will allow you to keep claiming up to a set maximum per condition and then that condition would be excluded. Some companies claim that they cover for life but have a maximum per condition.

The best level is true 'cover for life'. A condition would continue to be covered (up to your yearly maximum) for as long as you keep paying the premiums - which will obviously rise according to the risk. I know of only two companies that provide this cover. One is a brand leader and very well known, the other is not but offers great cover for the things you really need.

I wanted reassurance that I could afford any vets bills should she become ill

That's what we all want but pet owners get blinded by all the glitzy extras they'll never use and don't check the basic cover. For example, how often will you really need to put your animals in kennels because you have to go into hospital and how much would it cost if you did? A few nights in a boarding kennel don't even come near the excess.

• Haha 1

Very good comments Hightail.

I only ended up with E&L because the DBA insurance was bought out by them. A lesson leaned I'm afraid :mad:

&

I do fairly regular searches and test quotes for pet insurance because I need to keep up to date to advise my kitten buyers. I had noticed that E&L now appear to be underwriting insurance for other company names. I see their name and hit the back button so hadn't checked further. I'm sure I've seen more than one so be careful and check out the underwriter before taking out any new policy.

"Re: Exclusion notice

Further to a review of the risk presented on this policy, with effect from 12.09.08, we feel the need to place the following exclusion: cover for allergies of any cause and all related conditions."

I've been thinking about this one. Many people don't claim immediately because of the time taken for the diagnosis process and subsequent treatment. It's perfectly normal to claim at the end of a course of treatment. I've got a feeling that insurance should pay out for a 'course of treatment' even if it overlaps a renewal period - then they'd exclude any similar conditions.

You do need your vet to help and how they word their letter is all important. Ask them to make it clear that this was all one inclusive ongoing course of diagnosis/treatment. I don't think E&L will suddenly see sense but it should help your argument in the long run.

• Haha 1

Thank you Hightail, for your advice.

That is a very valid point and one that I am asking my vet to highlight in his letter. As you say, once she had been treated, and the blood test had been done, I thought that was the time to claim.

I also wonder if the fact that the blood test did not actually identify any allergies will make any difference.

I have written to them pointing out my dog had episodes of chewing her paws and one episode of irritation to her eyes, that the vet thought MAY be an allergy. As we had insurance to cover the cost, he suggested the blood test be done to see if a definate allergy could be identified. The blood test was negative for any allergens, so in fact, she has no CONFIRMED allergies. I just wonder if "any related conditions" might be their get out.

Also, I realise you cannot recommend any particular company, but would you mind letting me know of a few insurers you would recommend, for when I come to renew again? Thank you.

I don't think I'm allowed to post recommendations or links to other companies up here so I will pm you.

It would be nice to think that because the blood test was negative for allergies that they would have to pay out even though they've tried to exclude it. Unfortunately I've got a feeling that because the reason for it was allergy based they will still say no way. I really think your best option is to insist it was a single course of investigation starting before the exclusion.

Right then !!

I spoke to the F.O.S. this morning, this is how it works :-

1st, Complain to E&L in writing over their handling of the case. They have eight weeks to give you a final decision.

2nd, Contact the F.O.S, they will take all your details and issue a complaint pack. (I'll tell you more about what that involves when I get mine)

3rd, The F.O.S will then write to E&L formally asking them to address your complaint. If they do not do so, they will step in and make a decision on the rights and wrongs of the case.

The guy I spoke to suggested that they have had a number of complaints about E&L as LLellz pointed out.

I'll up-date this when I get my pack through.

Hope this helps,

Lex

&

Thanks so much for this info, Lex.

I've asked my vet to write to E&L in support of my claim. I've also written to E&L pointing out why I am unhappy and why I feel the claim should be honoured. So I presume I now need to wait for their reply and if they don't budge, I will definately be contacting the FOS.

Mandy

Your welcome Mandy,

I'll post up what the 'pack' contains and involves as soon as I get it.

Lex

&

I'm delighted to see people taking them on. I wasn't too sure how much I could say on the forum but they really are to be avoided. They've been working quite hard at muscling in on particular sectors of the market lately and the more people who are warned off the better.

Hightail,

If you know of any company E&L are underwriting, could you let us know please. At least if we can tell people who they are really dealing with, they can make an informed decision :)

Lex

&

Hiya just to let you know that any docs you send to E & L will need to go recorded delivery dated and also keep copies.

They will try delay tatics as they send holding letters twice and then whats known as an 8 week letter, each time trying to delay it getting to fos.

E & L decline most skin claims as they are very high cost so try it on every skin claim unfortunatly.

When i worked at the vets we sent them a claim and it took 4 months for them to pay in which time they had 2 fires and lost the paper work numerous times supposedly.

I have 6 years insurance experiance and 5 years veterinary experiance and i deal with fos often. If you need any help give me a shout anything to win a case against the baddies ;)

If you know of any company E&L are underwriting, could you let us know please

As I come across them I'll gladly let you know. As I said in an earlier post, if I see their name I hit the back button at the speed of light but I'll take more notice now.

Am I allowed to mention a couple of companies I think are very good? I pm'd someone who asked because I didn't want to break any rules.

Hi Hightail,

You might like to start a thread here, if you have time. I'm sure it would help a lot of folk :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/insurance-reviews-write-review/

Thanks in advance,

Lex

&

Subbing as we need to claim from dog insurance as our XGSD has just had a tumor removed which turns out to be malignant. Confused as we were originally told that the insurance would cover us at once, then the vet said we had to pay then claim it back. I am not expecting this to be as easy as it sounds.....

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON