Lowells HSBC 1997 Debt please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I recently received a letter from lowells to the effect that a debt from HSBC has been sold to Lowell for the sum of £950. the debt is for an overdraft from 1997, my students days unfortunately.

some points come to mind

1.) the amount outstanding is incorrect as a sum of money was paid off that in 1998/99, and also the amount itself was full of bank charges.

2.) is there a statute of limitations on the dates they can chase from

3.) they're not the original loan holders, it appears to me that they bulk buy loans cheap and pursue them. are they allowed to do this

4.)theyve threatend court action if i dont enter an agreed repayment plan by next week.

5.) the letter arrived yesterday yet is dated from the start of the month. is that legal?

any help on how to deal with this, ie structured steps would be awesome. I've got some debt from my uni days pre 2001 that i think needs to be addressed decisively so i can move forward

thanks x

If the account has not been acknowledged e.g. an offer of payment made in writing or a payment made in the last 6 years then these debts are statute barred under the Limitations Act. While they can ask for payment they are precluded from taking you to court and if you say you won't be paying then that should be an end to the matter.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Well as it's Lowells they may try it on and state that a payment was made within the last few years. In this case ask them for evidence that a payment was made by you. Only you or someone acting on your behalf can acknowledge the debt. A payment made from Lowells tea and coffee fund towards the account does not constitute acknowledgement.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.