• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

CCCS and Creditors Not Accepting Offers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4435 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

We have just set up a DMP with CCCS and have received letters back from them saying our creditors

"are unable to accept the reduced payment proposal we have recently offered because larger payment offer required. It is likely that the creditor will default your account and may pass your debt onto a debt collection agency"

I cannot understand the logic in not accepting:???:

Are we to expect to be bombarded with calls and letters from the DCA's requesting increasing our payments which is out of the question?

Any advice of where to go from here would be appreciated as the CCCS have stated in their letter that "there is no need for us to take any further action at this time"

Many thanks

:(

Hi faz, it could just be a tactic used by the creditors to try and get more money. You should check this out with the CCCS. You state the CCCS letter said 'no need for us to take any further action' did this mean you or them not taking any action.

Sorry I cannot really be of much help but these are some questions that another CAGger may ask to help you further

• Haha 1

The next step is to find out if they have enforceable agreements. I had same problem with sending letters via CAB when times got tough. Strangely the creditors who refused to accept reduced payments were the ones who didn't have valid agreements who actually got £0 in the end.

You need to send Letter N from the following link to them with £1 postal order but you need to track when they cash it.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Best of luck

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Hi Faz,

Follow Goldladys advice and get the CCA requests off.

If any Banks or DCA's do contact you by letter, then refer them to CCCS.

If any of them phone you, just politely tell them to put it writing and put the phone down.

There is a letter about telephone harrassment posted on the forum....I'll have look and post it up for you to use should you need it.

The next step is to find out if they have enforceable agreements. I had same problem with sending letters via CAB when times got tough. Strangely the creditors who refused to accept reduced payments were the ones who didn't have valid agreements who actually got £0 in the end.

You need to send Letter N from the following link to them with £1 postal order but you need to track when they cash it.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Best of luck

Hi

Thanks for all the replies:)

Wow, does this actually work? I saw a programme on tv not so long ago where a couple tried something like this, but in the end the legal costs were more than the debt:eek:

It didn't work for them in the end because they were taking the Michael and also set up a business charging people for doing it. There are those who believe they are involved in some sort of publicity stunt.

But the Consumer Credit Act 1974 does state that a creditor can't pursue a debt without a valid agreement. There are hundreds of posts on this site about the various ways people have used the CCA - have a look around.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

The CAB actually advised me that my accounts would likely get defaulted and passed to CCAs and I was made to feel this was normal and even desirable. My adviser's stance was that the CCAs were more likely to accept lower offers (which is what happened). If your credit history is in reasonable shape you want to avoid defaults, if it's not I'd follow the CCCS advice for now personally.

The CAB actually advised me that my accounts would likely get defaulted and passed to CCAs and I was made to feel this was normal and even desirable. My adviser's stance was that the CCAs were more likely to accept lower offers (which is what happened). If your credit history is in reasonable shape you want to avoid defaults, if it's not I'd follow the CCCS advice for now personally.

hiya and welcome faz1964

i totally understand kings post, that debt collection agencies more likely to accept lower offers, but what i have then learnt do they have the legal power to actually collect the debt or have the fully executed agreement to have money paid to them - as most will only pay a small percentage of the debt in the first place they may not get the correct paperwork, ie your agreement with the passing over the debt, well thats what im finding and im fighting a couple on this basis already!

However, your first post reminded me of how i felt about a year ago when i finally realised i had to something but after visiting cab, and cccs online i then found nationaldebtline and cag,who have been my saviours and they helped me realise a lot of stuff -

i tried to be an upfront person and telling all the creditors of my illness and being off work, thinking my pro rata payments would help me and them realise i was addressing my issues full on, well some were kind and some were horrid, so it was really a mixed up bag, and nothing i expected to tell you the truth

i quickly realised i was just another debtor who they could telepone, harrass and threaten, not at all what i imagined,

i have got back to work but its taken most of the year to still have to deal with my illness, think of getting back to work and dealing with creditors

Now a year on, having cca's all my creditors, im getting and not getting the info on my cca and sars request, when i get anything decent, its either inlegible, which i dispute, and complain about, then im told to go to fos,

others have tried letters telling me i need to still pay even though im disputing or even waiting on my cca, what are the cca regs about then ???

now im in a much clearer and decisive mindset, 2009 is going to be clinical, sharp and direct, no pussyfooting about, cause more fuss than ever, report to all, liase with my mps, and learn everything to know about my rights, even thinking of doing a level law

with cag and its fab members, i know i can be positive in my outlook, because i never ever want to be in that place i was in a year ago

and i wouldnt wish it on anyone else, somehow, i know i have to give it my all next year, otherwise all the good from cag will have gone to waste and i dont want others efforts in guiding me have been in vain

so good luck .. all i can say is learn as much as you can, decide what you want to achieve in the short and long term, how it will affect you and your family if you have one, and what and where you want to be in a years time

only you have those answers, all we can offer is our experiences and those who are knowledgeable in law offer you legal snippets too

all together we can help each other as much as we can and remember always keep the faith,

take care sorry to have gone on a bit, too much coffee lol

laters angel x :wink:

Edited by angel_1

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

".....2009 is going to be clinical, sharp and direct, no pussyfooting about... "

I'm of the same mindset Angel_1 ;)

"...all together we can help each other as much as we can and remember always keep the faith.. "

Too right!

laters angel x :wink:

This site has totally change the way i view debt (and the 'people' who try to collect on those debts). Feel totally able to combat anything the creditors throw at me! Long may it continue - until i have beaten them all at their own game that is!

Good luck all! :)

• Haha 1

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything

• 3 years later...

Good question! I think unless you're an expert all you can do is post them up here (with personal details removed) and ask for opinions. Hopefully, however, somebody more knowledgeable will be along in a moment with a better answer! Maybe there's a post or FAQ somewhere which explains what to look for?

Hi AJ2012,

As King has said, start your own thread, or threads. You'll need a different one for each creditor as all the agreements are different. Make sure you use the name of the organization in the thread title, as this will attract Caggers who can help you, i.e. 'Trouble with Barclaycard', not 'Trouble with credit card company'.

If you post the link(s) here, I'm sure anyone who can help will come over to your thread(s).

Send letters to your creditors asking for a copy of the alleged credit agreement, and you'll need to send a £1 postal order with each. You can send a cheque, but then they'll have a copy of your signature. Wait and see what you get, and then remove all the personal details, amounts of balances, etc., and post them on your threads.

Good luck.

DD

Creditors can reject anything you offer them through cccs they are not obligated to accept as you only have an informal agreement with cccs, this means that most creditors will push to get a ccj on you whether you agree to pay a debt or not a dmp is of little or no help, ive had it done to me and im with cccs, creditor accepted repayment with me and cccs then went behind my back and got a ccj against unfortunately i did not get the paperwork and the court say they are not responsible if you dont find out you have a ccj till its to late.I have found being on a dmp with any dmp company is not worth it as you get a ccj anyway and creditors are not honest and can fiddle their way with a court.

The fact that i had a ccj put on me without the evidence of a credit agreement, i was informed the court are not interested in whether the company can prove you owe them any money..(i got this from the court themselves. and other authorities...and they say although it is up to the company to prove you owe them debt not the other way around..the court accept that a creditor claims you owe it..means you do) it does not go to a judge when you get a ccj (I got this info from the court themselves it goes through a postal admin dept and the company pay a fee to have the document stamped..a judge never sees it, unless you want to pay it in installements..i have had legal advice that says this isnt the case but the court have assured me they are right here..and who can argue with a court?) anyway,it is assumed by the court you owe the debt because the company say you do and thats good enough.

The fact you get no default notice and nothing ever from a court to let you know their are or have been proceedings against you ..is of no concern to a court...and the fact they didnt inform you that a company has took out a ccj agaisnt you is no defence either.Courts seem to act on the say so of others.?..and i would have thought they would require some proof to get someone done,..and im concerned companies dont need to produce proof anyone owes them money which means anyone could make up a story you owe them money and apply to a court...BTW:you can buy a company for £14..99p on the inetrnet!

Hi faz, it could just be a tactic used by the creditors to try and get more money. You should check this out with the CCCS. You state the CCCS letter said 'no need for us to take any further action' did this mean you or them not taking any action.

Sorry I cannot really be of much help but these are some questions that another CAGger may ask to help you further

Sorry, but much of that is misleading.

Creditors can and will get a default judgement on their say so...if, and only if, the claim is not defended. Now, the fact that you were not aware that a judgment was being processed (and therefore had no opportunity to defend) means that you may have decent grounds to have the judgement 'set aside'. More knowledgable caggers than me can help/verify.

Courts seem to act on the say so of others

Only if they only hear one side of the story.

Yes Janet J, you should apply to have this set aside and defend it. I am in a DMP that has been running smoothly with no hic ups for 3 years. Just being in a plan does not mean that you can sit back and ignore things. I check my CRA every month and keep an eye on what is being paid, when, to whom and that it is coming off the debt. Even in a plan you should still ascertain the CCA side of things and reclaim unfair charges. It's all work but it will pay dividends.

Yes Janet J, you should apply to have this set aside and defend it. I am in a DMP that has been running smoothly with no hic ups for 3 years. Just being in a plan does not mean that you can sit back and ignore things. I check my CRA every month and keep an eye on what is being paid, when, to whom and that it is coming off the debt. Even in a plan you should still ascertain the CCA side of things and reclaim unfair charges. It's all work but it will pay dividends.

Thankyou i am aware of the set-aside, however i would have to take the company to court to defend myself and the cost at the moment is on the thousands...(advice from legal)..i dont have a few thousand pound hanging around...i simply cant afford to take them to court and they know it.Plus the company can afford the best solicitors..and i will have to defend myself...i dont stand a chance.This company have already violated nearly every guideline of the O.F.T.ive had to report them...and they can be raided by the O.F.T. ...and have now been reported for bringing a ccj agaisnt using decpetive purposes...i was lucky enough to get some free legal advice and lowell portfolio 1 ltd employ deceptive tatics.Although lowell have broken the O.F.Ts rules and did not before getting a ccj reply to any of my letters asking for a credit agreement...balance of account and deed of assigment..etc etc...nor did they afterwards nor did they provide a default notice, they debt was not pursued for over 7rs until recently and if it is not pursued after 6 years the debt is written off automatically by the law...the fact they came after me after nearly 7 yrs and did not contact me regarding the debt only to get a ccj on me, is a very serious matter with the O.F.T. and it is agianst the law.the O.F.T. are considering taking their credit licence away from the for this sort of disgusting underhand sneaky and unlawful behaviour...because so many people have had lowell pull the same trick on them.

Thankyou i am aware of the set-aside, however i would have to take the company to court to defend myself and the cost at the moment is on the thousands...(advice from legal)..i dont have a few thousand pound hanging around...i simply cant afford to take them to court and they know it.Plus the company can afford the best solicitors..and i will have to defend myself...i dont stand a chance.This company have already violated nearly every guideline of the O.F.T.ive had to report them...and they can be raided by the O.F.T. ...and have now been reported for bringing a ccj agaisnt using decpetive purposes...i was lucky enough to get some free legal advice and lowell portfolio 1 ltd employ deceptive tatics.Although lowell have broken the O.F.Ts rules and did not before getting a ccj reply to any of my letters asking for a credit agreement...balance of account and deed of assigment..etc etc...nor did they afterwards nor did they provide a default notice, they debt was not pursued for over 7rs until recently and if it is not pursued after 6 years the debt is written off automatically by the law...the fact they came after me after nearly 7 yrs and did not contact me regarding the debt only to get a ccj on me, is a very serious matter with the O.F.T. and it is agianst the law.the O.F.T. are considering taking their credit licence away from the for this sort of disgusting underhand sneaky and unlawful behaviour...because so many people have had lowell pull the same trick on them.

You would do better to start your own thread and set out your problem in a clear and concise manner. That way it will be easier to advise. From your posts at the moment, which are just dotted around various threads, it is almost impossible to help you out.

ims

Janet.....it would be good for you to start a new thread on your story, however you might also be interested to read about this cagger who did set aside a CCJ that was given against a statute barred debt - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?156502-Registered-County-Court-Judgement-***-WON-***&highlight=bobneedhelp

Hi,

Please consider these points, I hope they help.

1) Using someone like the CCCS WILL help because they will negotiate on your behalf and help prevent you getting bullied into paying more than you can afford. They will also give you advice and help as you are faced with different Debt Collection Agencies and the different tactics they use.

2) You will still get defaults and possibly CCJ's, but that would happen anyway if you are not making your full contractual payments.

3) It is better to pay a something each month to show that you want to resolve the problem. Your creditors will be more co-operative if you do this. They will be less co-operative and more aggressive with you if they think you are just refusing to pay.

4) It is standard practice for many creditors to pass debts to Debt Collection Agencies if contractual payments are not being met and they do often accept lower payments.

5) DCA's will usually accept as little £5 per month, but you will need an Income and Expenditure analysis to show that this is the most you can afford. This is where the CCCS help very well.

6) If you offer less than £5 per month they are unlikely to accept it and could pursue their own action against you. However, they cannot refuse to take any payment you make to them, even if it is only £1.

My personal view is that going down the CCA and enforceable agreement route is a minefield and you really need to know what you are talking about. It will also involve a lot more work and might not achieve anything at all. It will certainly not get any debt "written off", it just becomes unenforceable, until they find the correct documentation, then it becomes enforceable again.

I hope some of this helps, but if you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.