• Tweets

• Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
    • Yes, a few months ago. They wrote back saying there was no CCA and the debt was unenforcable. I then started gtting bombarded with threatening emails from their 'litigations team' which have been sent to spam. I've now recieved the letter before claim with the PAP form enclosed, but still no CCA or even a letter from them to say the debt is deemed enforcable. Thank you.
    • That's a shame but not unexpected.  I'm not sure about your assumed  questions because I haven't been to court but I'm not sure about not accepting a criminal record. It could be a language thing but it isn't your choice unfortunately.  HB
    • Have you previously requested the agreement by a CCA request ?
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Viscount Stair vs Egg (Loan)

Viscount Stair
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5408 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK - this one has run away with me, so I'm further down the line with this one than I thought I would get quicker than I thought I would get there.

I had an Egg Loan, an Egg Card and an Egg Money card. They all have different issues involved, so I'll try to separate the threads for each.

This one is about the Loan.

Having tried to keep the show on the road as long as possible after ill-health and redundancy, I wrote to all of my creditors (of whom there are far too many) explaining the situation and offering a nominal payment pending an improvement in my situation.

There has been a pig-headed battle between me and Egg whereby their standard response is to say phone us and I write back explaining that I can't because I get very agitated in stressful situations. (The one time I did try phoning the call ended with me having a panic attack, throwing the phone at the wall and shaking afterwards.)

Egg agreed to let me write in with income and expenditure details, which I did and they ignored.

I got a Default Notice, which I queried as to the amount. Egg have refused to answer the query.

I complained to the CRO, who rejected the complaint (and ignored most of it).

Drydens became involved. I wrote to them. I used the National Debtline template referring to the overriding objective and the pre-action protocols PD.

Drydens have now told me that they have instructions to press on regardless with court action.

There are discrepancies in the figures being bandied about but Egg and Drydens are refusing to provide any details.

As matters stand, I am assuming that I will get an N1 for a Christmas Card.

I am not trying to evade liability but I am not currently in a position to make more than a nominal payment and I have become willing to clutch at razor blades, let alone straws.

I have put them on notice about costs for acting unreasonably. I have threatened a counterclaim under the DDA. I have also told them that I will put them to proof as to the amounts involved.

Is my best course of action just to accept a CCJ (which would hamper my ability to get a new practising cert to get back to work to pay these guys, nice one!) and apply for an instalment order?

Can I challenge on costs and the DDA and still apply for a time order or an instalment order in the alternative?

If so, is that going to just make the size of the eventual CCJ bigger?

Thanks to this site and the support of fellow CAGgers, I am feeling quite empowered on Amex and have known how to fend off MBNA but I have got to my wits' end on this one.

Mrs VS is also quite cross with me for having tried to deal with all of this on my own for too long and got myself into a bigger mess. She may have a point!!!

I need some practical advice on this one. I can find my way around the legislation but the procedure and the practicality are flummoxing me.

Thanks in advance.

Two additional thoughts:

The amount of the arrears on one of the new Arrears Notices Egg sent me does not correspond to the amount of arrears that was specified in the Default Notice. I raised this with Drydens and have been told that new notices will be issued. These have not arrived yet, so I don't know if they are just resending a "corrected" Arrears Notice or if they will try to issue a new DN.

Also, I had another look at the DN last night and, although this is a personal loan, the DN doesn't specify an early settlement figure for the loan. Is this because the way Egg calculate the interest on the account means that this is not treated as a fixed sum agreement? If so, shouldn't they have been providing statements? If not, does this mean the DN is invalid?

Is there anything to any of this or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

• 3 weeks later...

The amount of the arrears on one of the new Arrears Notices Egg sent me does not correspond to the amount of arrears that was specified in the Default Notice.

An arrears notice and a default notice are not the same thing. An arrears notice would simply inform you that you are in arrears where as a default notice would inform you that if you do not pay the outstanding arrears by a certain date then the agreement will be terminated. The agreement needs to be terminated before legal action can be taken. They can not issue a second default notice where the agreement has already been terminated.

Also, I had another look at the DN last night and, although this is a personal loan, the DN doesn't specify an early settlement figure for the loan.

It wouldn't. It would identify the action that you need to perform in order for the agreement not to be terminated i.e. the arrears that are required to be paid and by what date.

If not, does this mean the DN is invalid?

The default notice may be invalid if it overstates the sum due or does not give the debtor adequate notice to pay the arrears or does not contain the various terms that should be part of a default notice.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks for these responses and for the support. No N1 in time for Christmas but I am not relaxing yet. I am, however, less despondent than I was.

An arrears notice and a default notice are not the same thing. An arrears notice would simply inform you that you are in arrears where as a default notice would inform you that if you do not pay the outstanding arrears by a certain date then the agreement will be terminated. The agreement needs to be terminated before legal action can be taken. They can not issue a second default notice where the agreement has already been terminated.

I am aware that there is a difference between the two sorts of notice but it occurs to me that the amount on the arrears notice really should ought to tally with the amount of arrears stated on the default notice.

It wouldn't. It would identify the action that you need to perform in order for the agreement not to be terminated i.e. the arrears that are required to be paid and by what date.

The summary of what should be in a DN on the Payplan website indicates that the early settlement figure should be there for a fixed sum agreement. The information was on the First Direct DNs I received (or rather it was on one of them and there was an empty space for the information on the two others - clever!).

What I still need to know is whether it is possible to challenge the amount owed and/or counterclaim under the DDA but still apply for a time order or instalments as to any remaining balance?

In the meantime, I have submitted an SAR and s78 requests.

I have done a bit of prodding and I think this is the provision that Payplan are referring to (paragraph 8 of Schedule 2 to the Notices Regs):

Requiring earlier payment of any sum

Where a sum of money is required to be paid under the notice,

(a) the amount of the sum before deducting the amount of any rebate on early settlement;

(b) where any rebate on early settlement is allowable under the agreement or by virtue of section 95 of the Act--

(i) the amount of the rebate allowable calculated on the assumption that early settlement takes place on the date

specified in the notice for earlier payment of the sum; and

(ii) the total amount to be paid after taking into account the amount of any rebate on early settlement, namely the

difference between the amount shown in paragraph (a) above and the amount shown in sub-paragraph (i).

I suppose the question is whether the earlier payment is due under the DN itself - the Egg DN is worded in a very weaselly way allowing them to demand earlier payment at a later date.

Originally Posted by rory32 viewpost.gif

I am aware that there is a difference between the two sorts of notice but it occurs to me that the amount on the arrears notice really should ought to tally with the amount of arrears stated on the default notice.

The DN is a legal requirement and the defaulted amount is subject to legal challenge and overturning if the amount alleged to be owed in arrears is not truly owed, but doubtful if a judge will overturn it over a small amount discrepancy.

Arrears demands sent out in bulk on different dates for varying amounts, being no more than commercial letters would carry a lower expectation of accuracy. Hard to see sloppy Egg correspondence being sufficient grounds for overturning a DN. If a DN and an arrears letter with the same date show different amounts it would merely confirm what the judge already knows, that Egg's left hand does not talk to their right hand. If the DN's amount is seriously wrong then that's another matter.

Good luck.

The thing is that the Arrears Notice is now itself a legal requirement and a statutory document, albeit one that is not yet tested in status (having only come into existence last October).

I don't know what the relationship between the two documents is but I suspect that no-one does yet, which is why I think it might be worth teasing out the issue.

It may well be a blind alley that leads nowhere but I think it's worth going down in the safety of this environment.

The more I prod into this the more I think that the introduction of the Arrears Notice in the 2006 Act has created a whole new set of mistakes for creditors to make and opened a whole new line of attack.

The relevant legislation is to be found in sections 86B-86D (inserted by sections 9-11 of the 2006 Act) and The Consumer Credit (Information Requirements and Duration of Licences and Charges) Regulations 2007 (No. 1167).

The penalty under section 86D for non-compliance with section 86B (fixed-sum) or 86C (running account) is even more stringent than the older non-enforcement provisions. Not only does s86D(3) preclude enforcement during the period of non-compliance but s86D(4) removes any liability for interest or default sums incurred during the period of non-compliance, even if there is compliance at a later date.

Schedule 3 of the Information Requirements Regs (Schedule 3) specifies the various permutations of what information must be included in an Arrears Notice. For example, in the case of the first AN served in relation to a fixed sum agreement, the prescribed information includes the balance of the account and the amount of the shortfall in payments.

I would suggest that, if the prescribed information is incorrectly specified in an Arrears Notice, then the Notice is a nullity and section 86D kicks in.

This is a relatively new requirement - it came into force on 1 October 2008 - but the Regulations have been in place since April 2007 and there appears to have been fairly extensive consultation, so the industry had ample opportunity to avoid teething troubles and that should not be an excuse.

In my case, at least one of the DN and the AN is wrong (and both might well be wrong). At least one therefore must be a nullity, I would submit.

They are both statutory documents, so - to my mind, at least - it is not a trivial discrepancy.

As I say, I think a whole new line of attack has been opened up.

Edited by Viscount Stair
errant sunglasses

• 3 weeks later...

Well as it took most companies at least 25 years to come to grips with the consumer credit act 1974 and the regs surrounding keeping documents it's not really of any great suprise ;)

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I was generalising Steven :p;):D

But you're quite right. Some of them still haven't got it together.

Cap One can I have an enforceable agreement please :)

At least Egg remembered to include the OFT Information Sheet with their Arrears Notices, First Direct didn't and then still didn't send them when it was pointed out to them!

The Arrears Notice may be the least of Egg's worries.

I am still waiting for my SAR but my CCAs arrived yesterday. According to the letter, it was with pleasure that the documents were enclosed. It is with schadenfreude that I will be replying.

The loan CCA consists of a screen printout for an online application (post Electronic Comms Regs) and a set of Ts&Cs. The cross reference in the screen printout to the personal information clause in the Ts&Cs is wrong (the clause numbers do not match).

The Egg Card CCA consists (I kid you not) of a copy of a fax copy of a fax copy of what looks like a microfiche printout of a document that has been reduced from A4 to about A5, is only just about readable and refers to a Limit, an Approved Limit and an Individual Limit but not a Credit Limit and a set of Ts&Cs that are not the current Ts&Cs but contain different interest rates to those on the other document.

The Egg Money CCA consists of a copy (number of generations unknown) reduced from A4 to about A5 and printed on modern Egg letterhead of a document that refers to a Limit, an Approved Limit and an Individual Limit but not a Credit Limit. No Ts&Cs have been provided at all for this account.

That is all I am prepared to say about the CCAs for the time being ;) but I will update in due course.

Hi VS,

I have today received a Revised Notice of Arrears from Egg which replaces an earlier incorrect one sent in November, they have refunded all interest and charges added within this period.

Funny, they have not sent a breakdown or statement to highlight what has been refunded, SAR going off today to find out more info

MM

Capitalism is the legitimate racket

of the ruling class.

Al Capone

Hello, subbing as your thread is interesting to me too.

I've today received my response to my egg loan cca and sure enoughmy signature is there (damn) but like you the t&c's they have sent are just current T&C screen prints as you rightly point out the clause numbers don't match.

I really don't know if this is enough to contest it though?

Livis xx

Hello VS,

Yeah i have sent a SAR too, and today i had a reply re that aswell saying that they have recieved my request and that are gathering docs that will be with me by the 3rd March.

I have looked throuh my filing and have found the original agreements for both egg card and loan (:eek: can't belive i actually kept them!) and all looks ok really apart from the clearly not sending the correct terms and conditions.

I'm not sure how much water this would hold in a court of law really?

What do you think ?:confused:

Upload a copy of the agreement Livis, preferably start a new thread of your own so it doesn't get confused with VS's.

Use photobucket.com - free and easy.

If you don't have scanner then you might be able to take a decent digital photo of the agreement if you can get it in focus.

Then go into Paint and hide all the personal details.

• 2 months later...