Ruthbridge - help?

rio1956
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5610 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and I am sure I will be calling on you all for advice and support in the months to come......

My most recent and pressing problem is this....

In the years leading up to 2002 I ran up some debts mainly through losing my job and marital problems. Following my subsequent divorce and the sale of my house I was left a cash sum that enabled me to offer a full and final settlement of 50%.

I was going to live and work abroad and following the advice from the local CAB I gave my creditors 28 days to consider the offer explaining that I was leaving the country and it was all I could afford.

Most of the creditors replied immediately and I wrote cheques and settled.

One or two never replied and I haven't heard anything since. My parents address was on the top of the offer so there was an address to communicate to. I returned to the UK in 2004.

Out of the blue last week I have received a demand for nearly £4000 from Ruthbridge and since then more demands on a daily basis. I have also had phone calls ( I haven't answered them). There is no mention of the original creditor so I don't even know who I am supposed to owe money to!

My question is this - I am going to be sending them a letter (recorded delivery) but which one do I send, the request for the CCA or the Statute Barred letter?

The creditors were paid in late Nov/early December 2002, so it is over 6 years (just) and there has been no communication after that date.

Please can anyone advise me on which letter to send Ruthbridge?

Rio

I would send them a "prove it" letter

amend as necessary

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

(Your Name) Print do not sign

Thanks for your very prompt reply spamheed.

So depending on their response to this one - do I follow up with one of the others? I get the impression they are not going to go away easily!

:(

Rio

Just follow the advice on here Ruthbridge are bullies and never did send me my CCA and thats over 18 months ago. Keep coming back read other threads and you will realise how they operate

Keep your chin up.

Do they still keep pestering you?

Rio

Not pestered me since may 2007 I did send them a harrasment letter to stop phoning, also they handed the debt to another firm who I informed them a CCa request had been made and was awaiting reply and still nothing. I hope that helps you this website certainly did for me.

Yes it does - thanks very much..... I have gone from a state of near panic to feeling quietly confident ( I think)....

And now on to the other stuff!! :eek:

Rio

Thanks for your very prompt reply spamheed.

So depending on their response to this one - do I follow up with one of the others? I get the impression they are not going to go away easily!

:(

Rio

Let's not think too far ahead, if the debt is statute barred, or is close to being statute barred, they will want to try and sort it quickly. However you have certain legal rights which over-ride their enforcement activities

Your first reaction should be - "who are you and what are you talking about"

once they have explained fully about the debt you will need to clarify how do you know that these people have a legal right to collect on the debt and that the amounts they are claiming are correct?

each of these stages will take time, if the debt becomes statute barred while you are sorting out who they are and if the debt is legitimate, then that's tough :D

Yes it does - thanks very much..... I have gone from a state of near panic to feeling quietly confident ( I think)....

And now on to the other stuff!! :eek:

Rio

Ruthbridge are rarely involved if a debt isn't statute barred - that's what to remember. Check your credit files Rio, if there's nothing on there re this supposed debt, then it will be statute barred...having aid that, if Ruthbridge are involved it probably is.

Ruthbridge are the worst bottom feeders - don't ever forget that.

Peronally I'd send them the suggested 'prove it' letter. The Statute Barred one could follow shortly after.

Just hate every DCA out there

Let's not think too far ahead, if the debt is statute barred, or is close to being statute barred, they will want to try and sort it quickly. However you have certain legal rights which over-ride their enforcement activities

Your first reaction should be - "who are you and what are you talking about"

once they have explained fully about the debt you will need to clarify how do you know that these people have a legal right to collect on the debt and that the amounts they are claiming are correct?

each of these stages will take time, if the debt becomes statute barred while you are sorting out who they are and if the debt is legitimate, then that's tough :D

Thanks again spamheed, story of my life - putting the cart before the horse!!

I will send the "prove it" letter off tonight and see what happens!

Ruthbridge have even taken to leaving a message and then when I press 1571 it automatically makes a call to their office - sneaky, very sneaky. I can't see how BT allows this on what is supposed to be a message taking service.

Luckily I work very long hours and by the time I get home their office is closed.

Keep you posted.

Rio