Mis sold HD ready TV

damorr
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5572 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I think i was mis sold an hdtv, just sent this email to currys, what do you think of my chances

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I am writing in regards to a television I purchased from you approximately 3 years ago. I recently discovered there is a major fault with the television, that has been there since purchase. I discovered my tv cannot get a signal through a HD sky box, I recently purcahsed, and an XBOX 360 , it would not display the picture in HD display mode using the HD cable supplied. I then discover that the television is not compatible with the XBOX 360 in HD mode and we were miss-sold the product under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 (Amended).

Under section 14.3 which state clearly the goods should be fit for the purpose made known to the seller and in which they were sold and Section 13 also states that goods must correspond to the description.

The television clearly states it is HD ready and 1080dpi. “HD-Ready” and is defined as being able for use with HD components 'out of the box', whereas HD-Compatible is defined as able for use with certain HD components in which case I would understand if it would not work.

An HD ready TV must have HDMI or DVI connectivity in order to accept a digital signal from the HD receiving equipment, as well as an analogue Component (YpbPr) connection. It must also be able to handle the 720 or 1080 line formats.

However the television will not work in 60 Hz 720dpi or 1080dpi and therefore we are unable to play on the XBOX in HD mode. I have also been told it would now play a PS3 or blueray player which I was about to purchase.

This product clearly does not meet the standards under EICTA Regulations and its HD logo in which it was sold as HDTV must accept 50hz/60hz@720p/1080i to meet these regulations. At the time of purchase I was informed it was compatible with future HD products inline with forthcoming technology and the Governments Digital transmissions etc.

I believe your company has been aware of this problem for some time having read about numerous complaints regards the said problem on the internet and also having spoke to Samsung, they informed me they made retailers aware of the problem and hence stopped supplying the product. They advised me to get in touch with you to replace the product. I therefore look forward to a speedy and satisfactory resolution to this problem.

However if this matter is not resolved quickly and amicably between ourselves then I feel I will have no alternative than to contact Trading Standards and Watchdog Consumer Action.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

I think i was mis sold an hdtv, just sent this email to currys, what do you think of my chances

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I am writing in regards to a television I purchased from you approximately 3 years ago. I recently discovered there is a major fault with the television, that has been there since purchase. I discovered my tv cannot get a signal through a HD sky box, I recently purcahsed, and an XBOX 360 , it would not display the picture in HD display mode using the HD cable supplied. I then discover that the television is not compatible with the XBOX 360 in HD mode and we were miss-sold the product under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 (Amended).

Under section 14.3 which state clearly the goods should be fit for the purpose made known to the seller and in which they were sold and Section 13 also states that goods must correspond to the description.

The television clearly states it is HD ready and 1080dpi. “HD-Ready” and is defined as being able for use with HD components 'out of the box', whereas HD-Compatible is defined as able for use with certain HD components in which case I would understand if it would not work.

An HD ready TV must have HDMI or DVI connectivity in order to accept a digital signal from the HD receiving equipment, as well as an analogue Component (YpbPr) connection. It must also be able to handle the 720 or 1080 line formats.

However the television will not work in 60 Hz 720dpi or 1080dpi and therefore we are unable to play on the XBOX in HD mode. I have also been told it would now play a PS3 or blueray player which I was about to purchase.

This product clearly does not meet the standards under EICTA Regulations and its HD logo in which it was sold as HDTV must accept 50hz/60hz@720p/1080i to meet these regulations. At the time of purchase I was informed it was compatible with future HD products inline with forthcoming technology and the Governments Digital transmissions etc.

I believe your company has been aware of this problem for some time having read about numerous complaints regards the said problem on the internet and also having spoke to Samsung, they informed me they made retailers aware of the problem and hence stopped supplying the product. They advised me to get in touch with you to replace the product. I therefore look forward to a speedy and satisfactory resolution to this problem.

However if this matter is not resolved quickly and amicably between ourselves then I feel I will have no alternative than to contact Trading Standards and Watchdog Consumer Action.

Ok a couple of things.

Firstly, how would you expect them to action anything based on that letter, you haven't even told them the model of your TV?

Secondly, mis-sold implys the salesman had full knowledge that the TV was not HD-Ready as you claim. I can pretty much guarantee this isn't the case, we rely on information on the tickets, and from the manufactorer to tell what is HD-Ready/Full-HD we don't sit there and count the pixles just to make sure.

Thirdly have you spoken to the store yet. Going in guns blazing to head-office without so much as mentioning visiting a store again will get you a response along the lines of "have you talked to our customer services over the phone or in store yet?".

To be perfectly honest, if DSG were sold TV's as HD ready/full-HD by samsung and they were not HD-ready/full-HD. There is no way they'd ever hit the shop floor, contrary to popular belief one out of every batch delivered to the central warehouse is tested to make sure the company is getting what it's paid for. If they did hit the shop floor, a recall notice would have been issued, and the shop should have removed those the morning the recall was issued before the store had opened. If this is the case they should have no issues at least swapping the TV over for you for one of similar specification, possibly pending an engineers review that the TV is either faulty or not HD-Ready as described and not incorrectly set-up or damaged.

Other then that I think we need more info to come to a proper conclusion.

Edited by Renzokuken

Right ok,

Firstly I removed the subject line to post here, obviously

secondly , I was mis sold , i got told off the salesman it was future proof and he seamed to take delight in showing off his sales skills

Thirdly , yes i spoke to the store, they didnt want to know.

And Your closing statement.

I just recieved a phone call, where they tried to blind me with science, but i blinded them, and now they are going to phone me with an offer tommorrow when they get clearance off someone who had just left the building.

I will let you know the outcome tommorrow.

Right ok,

Firstly I removed the subject line to post here, obviously

secondly , I was mis sold , i got told off the salesman it was future proof and he seamed to take delight in showing off his sales skills

Thirdly , yes i spoke to the store, they didnt want to know.

And Your closing statement.

I just recieved a phone call, where they tried to blind me with science, but i blinded them, and now they are going to phone me with an offer tommorrow when they get clearance off someone who had just left the building.

I will let you know the outcome tommorrow.

Once again, you give far too little information,

Removing the subject line is not obvious.

Secondly, if the salesman was told by the manufactorer the TV was HD-Ready, and therefor "future proof". Then he had no reason to believe what he was telling you was a lie and did not mis-sell you the TV. At the very worst the TV was mearly not as discribed, mis-sold implys that the salesman who "sold" you the TV was in full knowledge that the TV was not as discribed. Which if what samsung says is correct, is not the case.

What exactly did you say to them? Them not wanting to know is a pretty broad statement. I could understand them not wanting to know if your sharing as little information with us as with them.

Anyway, best of luck with that phonecall, let us know what happens.

They sympathised but said i would have to write to head office which i did.

I was mis-sold, if i was selling something then it is my job to know what i am on about.

I bought a TV to display an HD picture which it in fact cannot, therefor not fit for purpose and therefor mis-sold.

They agreed on the phone today, when they called me back to say, there was a few known issues with that particular TV.

Maybe the detail wasnt clear.

I bought a TV with the sole intention that it would receive HD and would not go out of date quickly, i paid about £1000 for the TV buying the best i could afford, the salesman convinced me that because it was 1080 i and not 720p it was the best i could buy.

My TV is an HDTV ready 1080i, so it says on the front of my TV, But in order to have that particular 1080i logo, it should satisfy the follwing.

it must have at least an HDMI or an AV1 socket, mine has neither.

Also it must be capable of handling 50hz and 60hz mine is only 50hz

Also it should produce a picture at 1920x1080 interlaced at 50 & 60hz, mine is only capable of 1280x720@ 50 hz

I went in currys to explain , but they just smiled politely and looked at me like i was an alien, hence my letter above.

I would still call it mis-sold as they should know their own products, if not they shouldnt be selling them.

You should change the "mis-sold" to "not as described". Mis-sold implies that there was an element of willfullness about it, whereas "not as described" is more of a catch-all sentence, besides your rights under SOGA are to have goods "as described".

As for the rest, I have no idea whether you have a shot or not as I don't even start to understand the technology, but good luck anyway and let us know what happens. :-)

I would still call it mis-sold as they should know their own products, if not they shouldnt be selling them.

Listen, we as salesmen do the best we can to help you make an informed decision, we read up on the products before they hit or as soon as they hit the shop floor so people like you can buy a TV with confidence (well those of us who care do anyway).

If the TV says HD-Ready on the front, and the manufactorers information says the same, as does our pricing and information list.. as far as I'm concerned that is a HD-Ready set until I'm told otherwise. The only way I could be more sure is to get down on my knees and count the pixles on the screen or be at the factory during construction both of which are foolish ideas.

I find it quite offensive that your going to get some poor salesman disiplined or possibly sacked because your claiming he sold you something knowing it wasn't as discribed. You don't seem to grasp how harsh the penaltys are for mis-selling to customers, and the difference between a salesman who is misinformed and actively misselling.

I cannot urge you strongly enough to reconsider those terms, as to head-office, "so and so mis-sold me this" is practicaly like saying "so and so is going to land you massive trade descriptions act fines, sack him".

My TV is an HDTV ready 1080i, so it says on the front of my TV, But in order to have that particular 1080i logo, it should satisfy the follwing.

it must have at least an HDMI or an AV1 socket, mine has neither.

Also it must be capable of handling 50hz and 60hz mine is only 50hz

Also it should produce a picture at 1920x1080 interlaced at 50 & 60hz, mine is only capable of 1280x720@ 50 hz

Whilst agreeing with most of what you have said, like others I think the term mis-sold is a little out of proportion.

Given that 3 years ago there was confusion over the difference between HD ready and HD compatible, I would have used the term "significantly not as described"; also the inability of the set not to show a picture at a resolution of 1920x1080 interlaced @ 50/60 Hz is not a fault of the set par se as the set would downscale the 1080i picture to fit the native reolution of the panel. Technically it accepts a 1080i input ;)

From what you have dposted you were sold a HD compatible set described to you as a HD ready set. Even now with 1080p sets there is still some confusion; sets are being described as 1080p full HD but may not meet the requirements of EICTA's HD TV 1080p standard.

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.

Ok maybe not miss-sold, but "not as described", I think that is nit picking, i cant see much difference.

Also I dont beleive for 1 minute the manufacturers didnt know in the september about the regs when they were wrote 9 months previous.

I think it was a case of shhhh, lets just get rid of these pre marked 1080i sets then just act on the comebacks.

Hi there,

What is the price of the model you want, same size etc but forfills your spec?

I personally wouldnt touch Currys, I bought a Digital camera from them and 3 days later it was 35% cheaper and they refused to refund me or let me exchange it. I even asked the sales person at the time of purchase if the camera would be cheaper if I waited and his firm answer was "NO"

Stewie:D

I need to change my avatar..But cant find a good replacement.

Many TV sources and displays were being promoted as capable of high definition when they were not. In early 2005, there were 74 different devices being sold as HD that were not actually HD ready.

HD Ready refers to any display that is capable of accepting and displaying a high-definition signal at either 720p, 1080i or 1080p using a component video or digital input, and does not have a built in HD capable tuner.

Older TV's that bear the label "HD ready" may not display the full picture resolution possible from an HD source. Most HD ready sets do not have enough pixels to give true pixel for pixel representation of the higher HD resolution (1920x1080).

You really have to shop around when you buy a HDTV, i know Panasonic is one of the better high end ones on the market with Freesat.

What is the make and model of your TV?

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Hi

The make is a Samsung sp43w6hLx. HDready 1080i

Do Panasonic have the better screens, some of them look really naff

I have had three Panasonics - my 42" Plasma is 3.5 years old and still going strong.

I also had a 32" LCD which was sadly damaged by my young son by accident, and was replaced on the insurance with the latest model - the picture is fantastic. Definitely recommended.

My father bought a Panasonic Vierra with Freesat 3 months ago, no trouble with the telly, just my father with the remote is the problem.

On your TV if you check your manual closely (near the front of the manual) it explains that when you first start up the TV, there is a button to toggle the TV to accept 1080. Has that been done?

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Are you happy with that result damorr?

WARNING TO ALL

No I am not happy. I would fight for all my money back but dont really know where i stand legally, even though they have sent me vouchers, I havent accepted anything.

What would you do ?

I thought i bought an HD TV but in reality it doesnt do what it says on the tin, i still feel ripped off.