dvla screwed up address

the winkler 72
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5482 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Not sure how to tackle this one, so hope some of you might have some thoughts.

In May 2007 I bought a motorcycle in need of restoration, I sent the V5 (did'nt keep a copy) to DVLA and at the same time declared the vehicle SORN. I then put the bike to the back of my garage, where it still is and never thought about it again, until yesterday. When I returned home from work I found a letter that looked like junkmail addressed to me, but the house number is wrong, it says 36, not 37. Now in my street 36 is nowhere near 37 and someone had wrote on the envelope "not known at this address" I can only assume that a very efficent postman has spotted the gaff and thought I know where that should go and posted it through my door.

When I opened it it is from a debt collection agency on behalf of DVLA claiming £80 unpaid sorn/tax call it what you will from June 2008, so then the penny dropped, I've never received a new V5, because they've been trying to send it to 36, not 37!. So now I have to pay a fine which I never received, and on top of all this the bike would'nt have cost that much to tax!!!!.

The sooner the electorate comes to it's senses and off loads this terrible government the better, Whoops hope I can't get fined for slagging off Gordon and his control freak friends. lol.

Anyway enough of my ramblings about the state of this once Great Britian, anyone any thoughts on this matter.

Many thanks.

In May 2007 I bought a motorcycle in need of restoration, I sent the V5 (did'nt keep a copy) to DVLA and at the same time declared the vehicle SORN.

You should never have had the V5 to send off. the previous keeper should have given you the new keeper green) section and he should have sent the V5 to DVLA.

When I opened it it is from a debt collection agency on behalf of DVLA claiming £80 unpaid sorn/tax call it what you will from June 2008, so then the penny dropped, I've never received a new V5, because they've been trying to send it to 36, not 37!. So now I have to pay a fine which I never received, and on top of all this the bike would'nt have cost that much to tax!!!!.

So, officially, you still haven't received it, have you?

In any case, SORN only lasts for one year. As the fine is from June 2008. it would appear that you failed to renew the SORN declaration.

Banged to rights it would appear....

And you will have to pay the back tax since May 2007.

• 3 weeks later...

You'll probably have to take the hit for the SORN fine because DVLA don't have to send you a reminder - it's a courtesy service they provide (how the hell did I type DVLA and "courtesy" in the same sentence with a straight face????)

As for the extra £25 for the duplicate V5 - you should query that as it was their admin error that caused the original to be sent to the wrong address.

Best bet would be to dend in the V62 with a covering letter and a copy of the debt collector's letter as evidence that they entered your details incorrectly (and it's extremely unlikely you got your own address wrong when you sent the old one back!!!)

By their own standards they only aim to "ensure the databse is 97.5% accurate according to the details sent by their customers". In other words, they don't even aim to enter the details correctly (as received by them) in every case.

That's a pretty poor attitude because it means that as long as they get less than 2.5% wrong (that's over 1 in 50!) they're meeting their targets - so if needed just push their complains procedure with the fact that you were clearly one of the 1 in 50 they got wrong ;)

:!:Nothing I post should be taken as legal advice. It is offered as an opinion only.:!:

This warning is in my signature because I'm not organised enough to remember to type

it in every post.

And you're considering trusting me????:eek:

• 3 months later...

Hi, I too have been subject to the incorrect address issue with DVLA and am in mail communication with them at present.

The main difference here is that I received the V5 and having 2 cars registered with DVLA also thought the V5 that made it to my address must be correct. Erm now I have a £100 fine as DVLA did not send me a reminder for my motorcycle's tax. When I checked the fine letter, which made it to my address, thanks postie, I noticed that the address was 27 and not 26 no wonder I never got a reminder, again my house is not opposite 27 and I doubt if number 27 even know I exist :(.

I have written to DVLA who amazingly send me another letter, addressed to 27 saying that they were dealing with my letter. Erm I mentioned in my letter that the address was incorrect why are they still sending my mail to 27? and is there anything I can do?

I send photocopies of my new keeper green bit (says 26 on that), my drivers licence and their letter with my house number circled on them and still they sent the letter to the wrong address ??? are they all idiots?

What can I do about this? as if I had had the reminder my bike would have been taxed. Also £100, the years tax for my bike is £66 the tax was out for 2 months, luckily my dad noticed and I taxed it online that very same evening. So being charged for noticing their error :(

What can I do?

Thanks

Ruby

What can I do about this? as if I had had the reminder my bike would have been taxed.

There is no requirement for a reminder to be sent to you. It is your responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is either SORN or has has valid VED.

In fact, I am somewhat surprised that DVLA haven't woken up to this. They could save the cost of printing and mailing reminders, increase their LLP income as people forget to renew and increase their income screen for replacing 'lost' V5Cs.