Letting help - With a difference

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4534 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, been a lurker for a while but never joined up. Great site :)

Now I have a problem that I need some advice on, as myself and my partner are stumped on what to do.

Moved to London in mid-jan this year and our 12month contract expires into jan next year. The letting agent is ok, slow and we don't know if they are trustworthy.

LL is on the opposite side of the world over a about 1.5 months a number of letters came through to the flat addressed to her, and were clearly about the mortgage, and a coupl eof returned cheques could be seen in the odd one. Gave the letters to letting agent as when holding one up to the light words like REPOSSESION, NON-PAYMENT, SOLICITORS etc could be seen. Que alarm bells.

That was about a month ago and letting agent said no contact from LL :rolleyes:

Naturally worried about signing on again in this economic climate with these letters and inability to contact LL we viewed a nice flat earlier this week, but obviously deposit, 1st months rent etc adds up to quite a lot of liquid cash, and we would need to take it before the weekend as that's when the other viewing are. Not as nnice as this flat but still ok.

Spoke to LA yesterday and apparently no contact with LL across the globe etc etc, and mentioned we are looking at other properties this is not secure. Low and behold main LA man calls back my other half today saying he spoke to the LL abroad, mortgage stuff being sorted out and not to worry. It's 2300-0000 over there so not entirely suspect.

So do you think it is worth risking it if we try and renegotiate the contract with short break clause, and can you suggest anything else, or is it worth going for this other flat we saw (located above the new LA :D). ?????

Hard choice, like the place atm, we are good tennants and the LAs have said the LL only wants rent up by £30 p/m which is acceptable to us and no other flat has come close price wise to these two considered, London is a *****.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't :mad::-|