DVLA Lose Groups from Licenses.

Busaman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5418 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

An important "heads up" on this issue and one I have seen at close hand but not experienced personally.

When people send their driving license off to the DVLA for a change of address, or apply for a new one, a replacement etc. The DVLA have a habit of losing a class of vehicle you are entitled to.

In particular I am referring to the riding a motorcycle part of the license.

Happened to a good friend of mine who sent his driving license off for a change of address and it came back minus his motorcycle group.

He passed his bike test many years ago.

End result was he couldnt prove to DVLA that he had passed his bike test. It was so long ago that DVLA no longer keep records that far back.

He had to retake his bike test and sell his bike.

He was the proud owner of a new Suzuki GSXR750 up until then.

With having to retake his bike test, he then found when it came to renewing his bike unsurance, he could not get insurance for his current bike because he was technically a new biker having only just passed his test.

The insurance companies didnt want to know about the DVLAs mistake and my friend had to sell his bike at a loss and get something much smaller and much older to be able to continue riding.

So some people get a signed copy of their license from a Lawyer prior to sending their license off for any changes as proof of their entitlement to drive/ride whichever class of vehicle.

The cost of £25 to a Lawyer is far less than the cost of retaking your car/bike or HGV test !

BE WARNED ;)

A simply photocopy should be sufficient for a photocard licence. The groups are listed on the front along with all the personal details.

Surely a photocopy of a paper license should be OK too as the groups are clearly shown on that?

Because it is too easy using modern computer software to doctor a copy or change it, a photocopy is not good enough to back up you up.

There have been cases where the DVLA have refused photocopy evidence for this reason.

But it is up to the individual on what course of action they take when returning their old license to DVLA to be changed.

Well having recently changed the wife's old paper one for a new photo license, I did it online and let them use the photo electronically from the passport office which meant we received teh new one before I had to send the old one back.

Having read too many instances of them loosing data I don't think I will ever let them have the only copy of my license until I check their data is right on the new one.

this issue has cost me thousands in lost earnings, when they replaced my hgv 1 with a provisional, after months of writing letters, I was basically told dont write to us again unless youve got the evidence we have asked for, which by the way is impossible to provide.

I am now looking at retaking the test but due to loss of earnings cant afford to at the moment and have now signed on unemployed.

unfortunatley the first company I drove for went bust about 11yrs ago.

the second company disappeared about 7 yrs ago, then I was working other than as a driver, except for a bit of relief work for a friend who knew I had a licence, but never took a copy, (cash in hand work)

problem is they rarely copy the licence in full, they just take the driver number.

DVLA wont accept a photocopy that isnt certified, other than from an employer, and then only at their discretion.

I have hunted the internet, and this happens all the time, the idiot from dvla even told me this on the phone!

Makes you wonder what they do with all the extra test fees, dont you think.

• 5 months later...
wake up , send a freedom of information request to dvla, this will show what you've got, and allow you to correct any errors. and should you need to send your licence off to them you've got them by the balls, since any FOI has to show correct information. CHECKMATE I thank you.

FoI request will not get you any information about yourself. Personal information is a specific and absolute exemption.

Perchance you mean a SAR under the DPA :wink: