• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

EGG serves a Tomlin - What happens now - you WIN that's what !!!!!

papadak
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5581 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I claiming an amount from Egg card and recently served them with a 'money claim' in the last few days i was advised by their legal people that they are defending and have written to me enclosing a Tomlin Order with their enclosure. However they have offered me a derisory 10% of the full claimed amount and say i must accept with 2 weeks or this offer is withdrawn.

1) What exactly is a Tomlin Order &

2) What should I do next?

A Tomlin order is an agreement to their terms - my advice, put it in the recycling. (and any others they send you. This is your case, you decide when to stop and what order to issue)

What to do next - write to them, thenk them for their offer which you accept as a partial settlemnet only and tell them that you intend to carry on with proceedings for the full amount.

A Tomlin order is an agreement to their terms - my advice, put it in the recycling. (and any others they send you. This is your case, you decide when to stop and what order to issue)

What to do next - write to them, thenk them for their offer which you accept as a partial settlemnet only and tell them that you intend to carry on with proceedings for the full amount.

Thank you ... the money claim that i have served against egg has an 'acknowledged' status. Bearing in mind what you have said about accepting their offer as partial settlement does that mean that my claim within the money claim system can stay as it is?

I claiming an amount from Egg card and recently served them with a 'money claim' in the last few days i was advised by their legal people that they are defending and have written to me enclosing a Tomlin Order with their enclosure. However they have offered me a derisory 10% of the full claimed amount and say i must accept with 2 weeks or this offer is withdrawn.

This is an example of how serving Egg with legal papers can at times provoke worse results than sending a letter in plain English, into the care of Egg commercial managers.

Egg managers manifestly have a policy of not contesting penalty charge refunds provided you know the counter arguments as laid out in CAG template letters. If however your N1 served at court gets to Egg lawyers as opposed to managers, the lawyers apparently sing from a different hymn sheet. You may eventually achieve full settlement out of court, or after lawyers' intimidating brinkmanship following a roundabout route which will probably take much longer, no knowing how long. Let hope you are not stuck in such a groove.

There are numerous how-to examples of a simple letter to Egg achieving a full refund plus 8% p.a. interest, some within a week. See V-E Day thread in the Stickie Threads section above.

Good luck.

This is an example of how serving Egg with legal papers can at times provoke worse results than sending a letter in plain English, into the care of Egg commercial managers.

Egg managers manifestly have a policy of not contesting penalty charge refunds provided you know the counter arguments as laid out in CAG template letters. If however your N1 served at court gets to Egg lawyers as opposed to managers, the lawyers apparently sing from a different hymn sheet. You may eventually achieve full settlement out of court, or after lawyers' intimidating brinkmanship following a roundabout route which will probably take much longer, no knowing how long. Let hope you are not stuck in such a groove.

There are numerous how-to examples of a simple letter to Egg achieving a full refund plus 8% p.a. interest, some within a week. See V-E Day thread in the Stickie Threads section above.

Good luck.

Thank you, interesting advice - can you link me in to the V-E Day thread in the stickie threads section - do excuse my ignorance in finding it - thanks!

Good luck.

To be honest i did give Egg a chance to refund me. However they would not budge on derisory offers so the money-claim for me is always a last resort. I take on board what you're saying Egg's lawyers, personally I would prefer not to deal with them.

Just stick to your guns and they will give in

Thank you ... the money claim that i have served against egg has an 'acknowledged' status. Bearing in mind what you have said about accepting their offer as partial settlement does that mean that my claim within the money claim system can stay as it is?

Bearing in mind what you have said about accepting their offer as partial settlement does that mean that my claim within the money claim system can stay as it is?
I woold have thought so. Why would you want to change it?

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck.

Hi, is there an example letter that I may use as a template to send in to Egg please?

The first letter needs only itemise the charges amounts and dates you want to reclaim, so that Egg can verify. Egg no longer offers more than token resistance, so legalese is irrelevant. If you must follow a template letter, try adapting the following example. It will do no harm and would probably save time if you say you are a member of CAG, so they know you know they know you know.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/586-credit-store-card-letter.html

Once Egg verified your claim is numerically correct, they will send you a computerised template letter or secure message saying the OFT approved of their charge reduced from £20 to £16. Only at this point do you need the winning template letter from January 2008 which you have already been shown. This demolishes the Egg position and they normally come quietly. Using that letter no claimant that I know of has been refused and forced to go to court, score line 101 to 1, and that 1 was a PPI reclaim defeat.

Good luck.

Hi guys, .... an update:

I've had contact from Eggs lawyers. After serving me with a Tomlin order with a derisory offer ((less than 10% of what has been claimed) I rejected that and requested the full amount of charges + int + court fee.

Well i received a letter just before Xmas from their laywers saying the following:

" we write further to our recent letter on ... which contained an offer to settle. This offer has now expired. As you are aware our clients (egg) would like to try & resolve this matter without the need to embark on potentially costly litigation for both parties. We have therefore been instructed in this particular matter to make a revised offer, on the same terms as the previous offer for the sum of ... (approx half my required total, including court fee)

The increased offer is made based on your claim and is in full and final settlement of this matter and indeed for all claims, rights, action and causes of action (including claims for interest and costs) either party may have had against the other arising out of or in connection with any issue pleaded in that claim. The revised offer represents a full refund of the default charges as validated by egg, plus interest at 8%

The offer will remain open for acceptance for 14 days and will automatically withdrawn after that. Should you choose to accept this offer or not we would be grateful if you could notify us in writing asap. In the event that this offer is not accepted please be advised that we will be taking our clients instructions to defend this claim."

So does this claim have any more legs for me seeing that I am approx 50% towards my desired and court claim figure.

Your thoughts please ...

ThanK You

• 2 weeks later...
so it's not unreasonable to hold out for the full amount now?

Well holding out was worthwhile ... GOOD NEWS!!! .... I've received a FULL refund + interest + court fee. One happy bunny. The moral of the story is to refuse all offers and stand firm for what you claim.

Edited by papadak
spelling error

The moral of the story is to refuse all offers and stand firm for what you claim.
Absolutely. I don't like to say 'I told you so' but I told you so :D

Well Done and congratulations

I'll change your title to WON

Absolutely. I don't like to say 'I told you so' but I told you so :D

Well Done and congratulations

I'll change your title to WON

Many thanks for all your support, greatly appreciated!!