The law allows them to do this?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5608 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My first post, sorry it’s lengthy but very serious; I would love to hear some feedback, thanks in advance.

Working as a self-employed courier in London for approximately 1 year, inevitably I would get parking tickets from various London boroughs, and instead of contesting them I would just pay them, and can prove I paid quite a lot in parking fines. If they have a photo of my vehicle parked while the meter has ran out of time, then I have no basis to contest right?

It was not until after I left that job that I learned I could have rightfully contested my parking tickets by showing my daily worksheet, and that I was just doing my job, and I could have avoided paying over half of them! I paid a huge amount of money that year in fines, which I cannot even claim as expenses!!

I moved address towards the end of that year, and almost a year after that I went to my old address to check for mail. I was horrified when the new occupants handed me a bag full of threatening letters from debt collectors, saying I owe ridiculous amounts of money, and the new occupants regularly get visits from bailiffs looking for me and my vehicle. On average they get one or two visits per week, and they ignore that they’re told I don’t live there anymore. I can only imagine that a couple of tickets have evaded me by not being stuck on my windscreen, and “automatically” posted to me.

Not too long ago I found my vehicle clamped with a notice asking for £500, and I paid it promptly (I wasn’t even aware I owed anything to that company), soon after I declared my vehicle SORN and have been keeping it off the road, and did not change my address on my driving license on purpose out of fear.

I am more than terrified; there is no way I can even pay a quarter of what I am being charged! How does a £40 fine become nearly £500+ each? How do debt collectors justify such huge increases, are they allowed to do this by law? I have wanted to sell the vehicle for a while now, but I want these debt-collectors off my back first or else the new owner will probably get clamped on their first week!

Someone advised me to get in contact with the “Northampton County Court”, but I don’t know what to say or how to go about doing this, if it is what needs to be done. Someone else advised me that I should declare myself personally bankrupt, but I have no idea how or what it involves either – for what it’s worth, I am currently unemployed and receiving JSA.

Question: If the relevant London boroughs have passed my debt onto debt-collectors, does this mean they have wiped my parking offences clean, and the debt-collectors are my only concern? This issue has put my life on hold in many ways, and filled me with fear. What can I do? :eek:

Thanks for your time to read this,

NBG

My first post, sorry it’s lengthy but very serious; I would love to hear some feedback, thanks in advance.

Working as a self-employed courier in London for approximately 1 year, inevitably I would get parking tickets from various London boroughs, and instead of contesting them I would just pay them, and can prove I paid quite a lot in parking fines. If they have a photo of my vehicle parked while the meter has ran out of time, then I have no basis to contest right?

It was not until after I left that job that I learned I could have rightfully contested my parking tickets by showing my daily worksheet, and that I was just doing my job, and I could have avoided paying over half of them! I paid a huge amount of money that year in fines, which I cannot even claim as expenses!!

I moved address towards the end of that year, and almost a year after that I went to my old address to check for mail. I was horrified when the new occupants handed me a bag full of threatening letters from debt collectors, saying I owe ridiculous amounts of money, and the new occupants regularly get visits from bailiffs looking for me and my vehicle. On average they get one or two visits per week, and they ignore that they’re told I don’t live there anymore. I can only imagine that a couple of tickets have evaded me by not being stuck on my windscreen, and “automatically” posted to me.

Not too long ago I found my vehicle clamped with a notice asking for £500, and I paid it promptly (I wasn’t even aware I owed anything to that company), soon after I declared my vehicle SORN and have been keeping it off the road, and did not change my address on my driving license on purpose out of fear.

I am more than terrified; there is no way I can even pay a quarter of what I am being charged! How does a £40 fine become nearly £500+ each? How do debt collectors justify such huge increases, are they allowed to do this by law? I have wanted to sell the vehicle for a while now, but I want these debt-collectors off my back first or else the new owner will probably get clamped on their first week!

Someone advised me to get in contact with the “Northampton County Court”, but I don’t know what to say or how to go about doing this, if it is what needs to be done. Someone else advised me that I should declare myself personally bankrupt, but I have no idea how or what it involves either – for what it’s worth, I am currently unemployed and receiving JSA.

Question: If the relevant London boroughs have passed my debt onto debt-collectors, does this mean they have wiped my parking offences clean, and the debt-collectors are my only concern? This issue has put my life on hold in many ways, and filled me with fear. What can I do? :eek:

Thanks for your time to read this,

NBG

Hi sorry to hear your plight. It can be a very frightening experience. You should receive some good advice by posting here. You do have some rights.

The process works something like PCN, Notice to Owner (NTO), Charge Certificate, Bailiffs.

If these are legitimate council tickets then you will be dealing with Bailiffs and they have a number of things they want. They will want the original amount charged by the council. They also have a set scale of fees and must comply with the law.

If you haven't received paperwork for tickets you can make a statuatory declaration to that effect. Once sworn you send them to Traffic Enforcement Centre at Northampton. That should halt any enforcement action by the bailiffs. You can get a Stat Dec. sworn at your local court for no fee (or you can go to a solicitor who will charge).

The issuing council should re-issue with the Notice to Owner. This will give you the opportunity to pay the ticket or contest it if you wish to do so.

You need to notify the bailiffs that a Statuatory Declaration has been filed at TEC. They should halt their actions once they are notified by TEC. If your Stat Dec is not accepted then the bailiff action starts again.

You should contact the bailiffs and ask to see a full breakdown of the charges. They must stick to the letter of the law and there are set fees that they can charge. Post back here with the details when you get them. It may pay you to set aside some cash to pay them with if the Stat Decs. fail.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Pin, thanks alot for your reply. I have to say its hard to understand what you've said, so I will try in my own words...

I have a large bag full of original letters posted to me by various debt collectors, so you are saying I should call each of them saying they should be contacted soon by TEC(?) telling them I have initiated a Statuatory Declaration(?) file at TEC(?), which should halt them visiting my old house. - Then I pay each original fine (£40) to the initial council to satisfy them? I dont think I should give them my new address!

(?) = I have no idea what it means. Thanks, NBG

Yes I can give a list - but i'm still compiling it! Unsure about a couple of things:

Should I give my old address in the PE2/PE3 forms (which is still the address on my license)? The new occupants will give me a phonecall immediately when they get post for me.

On the forms it asks for a list of the PCNs (parking) but there is one which has a photo of me turning left near Liverpool Street station, where there is a tiny little sign saying I can't do so during certain hours. That is not a PCN is it? That (among a few others) was automatically posted to my old address with no way of me knowing about it. So do I include that in my list of PCNs?