IB changes and mental health

gentlesoul
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5595 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Folks,

I was once a jobsearch seminar leader for Employment Services and am now an incapacity benefit claimant with depression.

I have a concern about the changes in IB happening now. My experience is that a person admitting depression in a job application or interview will never get the job. In the action plans towards work wanted by the DWP under the new provisions, will claimants be expected to lie to employers about their health condition?

GS

I was thinking about this recently. It reminds me of a couple of years ago when I first was asking for help when leaving partner.

One man at job centre said well maybe you could just not mention you have epilepsy. I said when at its worst, it can be a daily problem and often is. He just looked at me blankly and said oh, theyd notice then.

He knew nothing about any illnesses and just saw me as a number. I have mental health problems and feel fed up of hiding it, ive done it for years.

I feel as in my case a lot of these changes have put additional stress on me.

I was thinking about this recently. It reminds me of a couple of years ago when I first was asking for help when leaving partner.

One man at job centre said well maybe you could just not mention you have epilepsy. I said when at its worst, it can be a daily problem and often is. He just looked at me blankly and said oh, theyd notice then.

He knew nothing about any illnesses and just saw me as a number. I have mental health problems and feel fed up of hiding it, ive done it for years.

I feel as in my case a lot of these changes have put additional stress on me.

John,

That sounds really tough, but it's like that. IMO the whole reform package is based on the premise that we are not ill. Our only defence is to be honest and tell them that we are ill. Piling guilt and denial on top of an illness is just not on.

On a positive note, people who are challenged and go to appeal usually win the case. The Jobcentre people know this and try all kinds of tricks to sneak us off the benefit, but if we stay honest and get good advice, I think we will win our rights in the end.

Hope things get easier for you.

GS.

Thats right, if your ill your ill. I understand they have to check its just it feels like the paranoias having a field day.

Thanks

John,

The newspapers and media don't help, but I try to remember that media is about scare stories, and the poor blighters they are trying to scare are us!

It has helped me to look at the proposed legislation and see that existing incapacity claimants over 25yrs old won't be interviewed under the new scheme until April 2010. That's a good breathing space.

GS.

It has helped me to look at the proposed legislation and see that existing incapacity claimants over 25yrs old won't be interviewed under the new scheme until April 2010. That's a good breathing space.

GS.

Don't suppose you have a link about this or know if it's just for IB or not? I wouldn't know where to start, I've not been keeping up to date with the changes.

Unfortunately not everyone who has mental illness get Income Support instead (not me, someone I know though). I have no idea if it's the same situation or not. I suffer with depression & anxiety, I'm on IB... but I'm under 25 years old. Not sure where this leaves me either. :-|

I completely understand that they need to make sure people aren't just trying to get out of work but there are so many of us that genuinely struggle on a day to day basis; physically, emotionally and mentally. If people weren't depressed already to begin with they soon will be after trying to proof they are!

Don't suppose you have a link about this or know if it's just for IB or not? I wouldn't know where to start, I've not been keeping up to date with the changes.

More from the DWP about ESA can be found here however it may be useful to get another perspective c/o "The Bickerstaffe Record" which cuts through the Government spin.

Edited by loan_ranger
Removed a DWP link because they've deleted it
  • Haha 1

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Im also on IB with mental health issues i had to see my consultant last week and he asked how i was wife told him he a bit worried about the new IB changes he told me dont worry they only trying to frighten the ones thats not really ill back to work

Regards DK

Please Tip My Scales if Info was Use full

Folks,

My thanks too loan ranger. My suspicion has been that this is another 'scary feet' thing from the government and your links indicate that direction.

If we confront any jobcentre adviser with genuine daily symptoms of ill health I don't see what they can do. Best thing is to be prepared for any interviews, maybe by writing down the facts, and don't get hoodwinked.

When I was working as a jobsearch seminar leader a young mother was once talked into working in a part time job instead of getting her benefit. One of my colleagues had been pushing hard to improve our statistics, and maybe didn't do enough due diligence on the case. The employer didn't pay our client and the girl came into our office, babe in arms, on a Friday afternoon with no money, benefit stopped. I was there on my own and couldn't contact my colleague.

I went to the local DSS office (I was college based) with the client and told them what had happened. The supervisor said that they couldn't do anything as they didn't make payments there. I said that I knew the manager and would speak direct to her. The supervisor opened a drawer, took out a cheque book and made the payment to my client, right there and then.

I wasn't too popular after that, and there was quite a change in my relations with the local Employment Services lot. It was worth it though, just doing the right thing.

The moral, I guess, is to stand your ground.

GS.