laroc

Electricity meter and time switch

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4016 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I am on Economy 7 with EDF. My meter and time switch are both dated 1985 with the supplier "Eastern Electricity Board"

I have tried in vain with EDF to get these changed to digital. EDF insists on telling me the meter was changed last August and "Go away"

When I pointed out both appliances were stamped 1985 I was informed that this was irrelevant, they were refurbished items according to their records and this was correct.

My question > if the meter was refurbished would it not have a "REFURBISHED" sticker or some form of test certificate attached ??

I cannot get them to accept NOBODY has been to visit the property to change the items as they keep pointing out.

When I mentioned the time switch was 3 hours out I was informed they would make a visit within 5 days to set this correct. After endless waiting, I was then told they could not visit untiul 2009.

Any ideas ?

in short, no there would not be a refurbished sticker on the meter and it is common industry practice to recertify and relocate a meter.

There are a few ways to check if the meter has been replaced. On or near the meter there should be a yellow sticker giving the meter exchange date together with the meter serial number of the previous meter and the readings from when the meter was removed and they new meter installed.

Failing this (and im assuming here you have been at the property for some time) check the bills before August and see if there is a different meter serial number on these bills. This would indicate a meter exchange did take place. If you do not have these or dont want to spend too much time looking at this yourself then you can ask the supplier to fully investigate your concerns and explain it to you.

With regards to the appointment, not that i am defending the company with this but they do need to book this appointment with the meter operators in your area that own the meter to check if the timeswitch is operating correctly and correct this if not (they would be the people that carried out this job regardless of which supplier you were with). At this time of year they do opperate with a minimal number of staff (due to the holidays) and emergencies will take priority over this type of job. However on saying that the when the job is carried out the supplier should (if necassary) amend any previous charges to correct the amount you should have paid. this will be based on the avarage percentage usage on the corrected meter. ie if you were using 85% on the day rate and 15% on the night rate on the old meter and 75% on the day rate and 25% on the night rate on the corrected meter the company should manaully credit the amout you have been overcharged. They cannot rebill you as they would need to use the readings on the meter but they will apply a "goodwill" or "ex gratia" payment onto the account to make this right. This should all be explained to you if this is needed.

hope this helps

Concerning the meter and time switch. An ex EDF/EEB manager ( well actually a retired relation)has looked at these for me and agreed:

(a) the meter calibration date reads 1985

(b) the meter seal reads "Eastern Electricity 1985"

© an original cardboard tag is hanging from the meter dated 12/1/1986

(d) the time switch has a calibrated date of 1985

Assuming a refurbished meter may read 00000 how come since August2009 (4 months) I have used 270Kw in a one bedroom flat.

Conclusion, they are the original eqpt fitted when the house was built.

EDF Customer Services told me to ignore any Calibration stickers, dates or Utility Supplier names as they are irrelevant.

Our EDF manager says this is utter nonsense as all meters must carry a "recalibration date" which normally doesnt exceed 20 years.

With his statement and photographic evidence the problem has now been escalated up the tree with a letter to EDF HQ

We wait and see what happens, hopefully its game. set and match to me but that seems to easy.

Its astonishing what rubbish Customer Services can tell you, especially to ignore any calibration stickers etc.

Its a good job I have friends who work in the industry or I will have just been fobbed off with ridiculous statements.

Edited by laroc
update