jobseekers/income support help please?

trickytrish

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4911 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

wondered if anyone can help please?

my 17 year old son has been turned down for jobseekers allowance twice, his connexions advisor is going to help him appeal the decision,

but just wondered if anyone here can advise if theres any other benefit he could claim that he could recieve?

my nephew claimed it when he was 17 with no problems at all, this is why I cant understand why my son cant claim it!

I'm only on benefits myself and only single mum and really cant afford to keep him,

when my nephew got it both his mum and her partner was working and on working tax credit but the son still managed to claim it!

anyone any ideas?

thanks all :)

17 year old usually can't get JSA except in limited circumstances, the main one being if severe hardship would result.

I don't think you can get child benefit for him either unless he is in training or education, so he should appeal and argue exceptional hardship.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

hi zamzara:)

many thanks for your reply,

when he left school in july 2007 he did a year at college where I was still claiming child benefit and child tax credit for him,

he left july this year walked straight in to a job so I had to gave up the child benefit and tax credit,

then unfortunatly because it was only a seasonal job it ended begginning november, put in a claim the first time they turned him down they said it was because he had money in his bank account :confused: it was under £150

they told him to reapply after he had spent the money in his account so he did, but they still turned him down grrrrrr :mad:

this time I had to even ring them up and ask how the claim was proggresing because they did'nt even get in touch at all, and thats when they told me over the phone that he was not entitled, :mad:

its so annoying because like I said in opening post about my nephew and also a few other 16 and 17 year olds I know who's claimed it with no problems at all,:confused:

I was chatting to a freiend tonight and she said that he should still sign on tho even tho he dos'nt qualify for any money! so his NI premiums get paid or otherwise he will get a bill for them when he does get a job again? anyone know if this is correct?

also my friend said that she thinks he's not got it because its a seasonal job also,

would be really grateful for any more help

thanks all :)

Does the decision notice say why he is not entitled? Or was that information given to him informally?

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.