Curry vs FD - Have I mucked up?

JCurry
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6478 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I phoned FD and asked for a list of my bank charges over the last 6 years. Within 1 week my statements arrived in the post free of charge. Calculated Im owed almost £1500 in bank charges. I sent them the prelim letter but received a letter back saying how they believe their charges are lawful etc etc... Now, this is where I wonder whether Ive mucked up....

According to Martin on Moneysavingexpert, he suggests if they come back and say this you get straight on and file a claim on MoneyClaim (which I did). However, Ive noticed on this site there is a letter before action that I wonder whether I should have sent first? I hope it doesnt affect my claim????

Anyway, today I received a letter from Northampton County Court saying my claim has been lodged and they have until 6th August to reply.

Any ideas what is likely to happen from here???????? Any help would be greatly appreciated as my synical husband thinks Ive just wasted £120 by lodging a claim for the money....!

Thanks.

Janet

Guest Mumofthreeboys

Errr, yes you should have sent the Letter Before Action, because it's just that a letter before you take action against them.

Having said that, lots of other people have got their charges back and not done it 'properly' :)

I think you should maybe PM a mod and ask them, just to be on the safe side.

I'm sure it'll be OK. Keep us posted xx

The 14 day timescale between each step is so that (if it ever got court) you can demonstrate that you have given the bank a reasonable time to settle before resorting to court action.

Since the banks are refusing to step into court, that scenario won't arise, so hopefully your premature filing won't make any difference.

• Confused 1

Guest Mumofthreeboys
Sorry, but whats a mod?

Sorry, I should have said 'moderator'.

I do agree with Michael's comments tho, that the 14 day timescales are only to prove you've given the bank a reasonable time to respond - they have stated their position......

If you go to the bottom of the home page it will show the users on line, the ones in green are moderators, just click on one and then click 'send private message'. They will get back to you.

Hi. Well contra to all my concerns and worries, I was pleased to open a letter today from DG Solicitors acting on behalf of FD. They have offered £1014.40. My initial claim to them was for £1503.73 but then after lodging a claim through MoneyClaim, interest and court fees took this up to 2031.77. Now comes the decision.... Do I accept what is basically half of the charges I claimed through Moneyclaim or just take my money and run? Ive read a few peoples threads who say they have refused and then been offered the full amount but as more and more people claim, Im wondering how likely this is. My husband is completely shocked they have even offered anything so thinks I should just accept. Does anyone have any opinions or advice? Im just going to look at the templates here in the forum, but just in case there isnt, does anyone know if I do refuse, should I call them or write to them and if so, what should I say? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Hi. Well contra to all my concerns and worries, I was pleased to open a letter today from DG Solicitors acting on behalf of FD. They have offered £1014.40. My initial claim to them was for £1503.73 but then after lodging a claim through MoneyClaim, interest and court fees took this up to 2031.77. Now comes the decision.... Do I accept what is basically half of the charges I claimed through Moneyclaim or just take my money and run? Ive read a few peoples threads who say they have refused and then been offered the full amount but as more and more people claim, Im wondering how likely this is. My husband is completely shocked they have even offered anything so thinks I should just accept. Does anyone have any opinions or advice? Im just going to look at the templates here in the forum, but just in case there isnt, does anyone know if I do refuse, should I call them or write to them and if so, what should I say? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

No! Do not accept anything less than what you have claimed.

Guest Mumofthreeboys
No! Do not accept anything less than what you have claimed.

Couldn't agree more with you orangebird - JCurry don't do it. Hold out for what is rightfully yours that they took - you will get it all :)

I cant find a template to use to reject this initial offer. Any ideas what I should say or can it be quite plain and simple saying that I reject this offer as I am seeking to reclaim the full amount including costs etc...?

Guest Mumofthreeboys
I cant find a template to use to reject this initial offer. Any ideas what I should say or can it be quite plain and simple saying that I reject this offer as I am seeking to reclaim the full amount including costs etc...?

Just say, thank you for your letter, I accept your offer of £.......... as an interim payment against the full amount of my claim only, which is £......... plus costs and interest to date.

Wow! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

FD £691.50 SETTLED IN FULL £691.50 :D

FD CREDIT CARD £75, SETTLED IN FULL £75 :D

MBNA CREDIT CARD £1784 SETTLED IN FULL :D

BARCLAYCARD . . .£500 BACK SO FAR . . NOW OFF TO COURT FOR MY OTHER £1200

PLEASE BE AWARE . . .MY OPINION IS JUST THAT . . IF IN DOUBT SEEK QUALIFIED LEGAL ADVICE x