• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Telephone harassment from Egg, anyone???

Yasmin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a new thread, as I have been advised to do so. I am interested if anyone else has heard from Egg, or specifically, David St Clare Nelson.

As my Court date approaches, I have received telephone calls, although I have refused to talk and asked him to put anything he has to say in writing .

I can only describe the calls as barracking and harrassing... with threats as to the state of my case and time limits. He has blatantly lied, sending a letter to the court, saying I had requested an adjournment. NOT TRUE!!!!

Please let me know of any similar experience with Egg, I would be VERY interested..

Check out the Truecall telephone recorder which may be able to help deal with these kinds of problems.

Se our review at: - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/telephone-recorders-reviews-write/167120-truecall-digital-telephone-recorder.html

Edited by BankFodder

Woolwich won in court/default removed Barclaycard Settled Halifax settled

Capital 1Settled GE Money Settled

Egg Settled-court action re.default 4th hearing!

Don't be shy, LOL

My Phone is like "Fort Knox"...

An eminent Barrister (can't remember his name) once said 'Telephone calls never happen' meaning you have no written record of what is discussed! but of course, the bank will record your words to use against you!?

Keep the Faith

Angry Cat

Write to the court to complain! Send a letter (did you write that one I suggested?) quoting the wireless telegraphy act and the harassment act and say that you absolutely DEMAND that he not ring you again about the court claim or ANYTHING. Tell him that you will be contacting the police if he does again as well as BT (or whoever) - btw did you know for something like £6 BT can bar individual telephone numbers from getting through to you? :D

Perhaps also mention that you will write a formal complaint to the judge and the Law society?

Hi

I've had harassing calls from MBNA and Egg. I specifically don't answer my calls at home and when the caller doesn't leave a message I do 1471 and if it's obviously a credit card company I ignore it. Sometimes it's number whitheld.

The most awkward ones were MBNA - they were phoning me constantly at work so I emailed their complaints place on the website telling them to stop harassing me and everything is to be dealt in writing.

You can purchase a caller display and ignore any calls you don't recognise.

Claims

Capital One - paid half back - written again they have until 31/7 to pay full amount

RBS - finally replied after second letter saying they are dealing wtih - they have until 31/7 to pay full amount

TSB and Egg refusing to pay anything - taking to court today/Monday.

Halifax - haven't responded - they have until 31/7

Monument - have offered half back - have written saying no and they have until 31/7 to pay full amount.

MBNA - are dealing with it - they have until 31/7 to pay full amount.

Keep up the good work - it's our money don't let them beat us.:cool:

I would recommend recording equipment for everyone.

I will also post a template letter for you (or anyone else in a similar situation) as soon as possible this afternoon. Harassment comes in many shapes and sizes and any respectable organisation should be prepared to stop phoning you the very first time you tell them....

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi - I have had nasty calls from Egg as I am claiming now for charges - but I am still paying off the egg card and have not missed a payment but I had a call from them saying if I miss 1 payment they will enter a default and this is true she said ' Well you wouldn't want the boys round would you taking the contents of your house!!!' not good at all - have now invested in a recorder so I can tape such calls. That call left me quite shaken!

Hi

That's shocking. I am actually a "contact officer for harassment" at my work so if anyone wants any advice let me know. I am prepared to act on your behalf if you have proof (ie a recording as such). I can get you a copy of a harassment document which states out clearly what defines harassment.

Joan

....I can get you a copy of a harassment document which states out clearly what defines harassment.

Joan

Yes please!! :-)

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi Guys-

If you phone National Debtline you can request a sample Complaint letter to the OFT -

It reads like this:-

"To Andy Lowther

Information Commissioner/010

Credit Licensing Enforcement

Fleetbank House

2 - 6 Salisbury Square

London

EC4Y 8JX

Dear Mr. Lowther

I have been in touch with National Debtline who has advised me to contact you.

I wish to draw to your attention the activities of a company which may constitute unfair practice under the provisions of the OFT Debt Collection Guidance.

The Details are as follows:

Company name and address

Name of original creditor

My account details

Details of complaint

I understand that the OFT will be unable to intervene in my particular case, but that my complaint may allow the OFT to take action that will prevent others suffering in the future.

Yours sincerely

Your signature"

Try to keep a diary of events of ALL contact made by your creditor or their Agents.

REPORT THEM ALL UNTIL THEY ARE STRUCK OFF!!

Angry Cat

Well you wouldn't want the boys round would you taking the contents of your house!!!' not good at all - have now invested in a recorder so I can tape such calls. That call left me quite shaken!

That is disgraceful. Hope do these people get away with it? Ring them back and see if you can get a copy of the phonecall if you can remember which date and time they called. They would be in BIG trouble for that.

Hi

go to the following web page. It is for information only. Follow the guidelines as you wish but it's my work's place and their view on harassment. If you search harassment on the internet you will find other sites which "don't suffer in silence". It will give you guidelines on what constitutes harassment and how to deal with it. Obviously you won't get any advice from my work, but you might find that the citizens advice place will be able to help deal with such cases. It may be just reading documents about harassment you are able to do something yourself about it and with proof such as recordings your case will be more solid.

Harassment and Bullying - Health Matters, University of Edinburgh

Hi Guys thanks for all the great advice, much appreciated. Really don't think they'll dare call me again. May in fact just monitor calls between now & Court...That was

outrageous, Zannie, wish you could have recorded it!!

A little later than promised.....You might wish to use the following, but also be prepared to follow this up with a written complaint to the departments mentioned in it.

Good Luck

Your Street

Town

City

Postcode

DATE HERE

Company Name

Road

Town

City / County

Postcode

Re: Harassment by telephone

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Wireless Telegraphy Act (1949) and I will report you to both Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded. (**Even if you don‘t yet have recording equipment!!**)

Yours faithfully,

NAME HERE

This should do the trick, but, if it doesn't, keep your cool and report them to the Office of Fair Trading and your local trading standards office. There is now a specific complaint form which you can download from the internet to make an official complaint and you can obtain it here:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/nr/rdonlyres/b3999175-a9bc-469d-ad5b-ba284de36e01/0/complaint.doc

Although sometimes this link takes an eternity to open, you've been warned!

PLEASE USE IT

Remember, keep your cool at all times, don't be intimidated by a piece of plastic, if you don't like what you're listening to, put the phone down - and remember the most important thing of all is to put and get things in writing at all times.

Under the DPA you can ask for a copy of the recording if they have it. Might put them on a back foot

Egg Data Protection Act Statements arrived. On hold.

Halifax - Moneyclaim £3100

Amex to Remove Default - acknowledged didn't issue correct documents - default removed :) . £135 paid in full without Court

I'm on a roll now :rolleyes:

Yes I wish I had recorded that and I now have the equipment to record such calls, I do have the persons name and date etc... so I may just do something about that, as it did leave me in a stressed state, am paying the egg card off now and will close the account when I receive monies back owed to me from Abbey and IF.

Most banks record calls so yours might be there. Would be interesting to ask if they have tape!

Egg Data Protection Act Statements arrived. On hold.

Halifax - Moneyclaim £3100

Amex to Remove Default - acknowledged didn't issue correct documents - default removed :) . £135 paid in full without Court

I'm on a roll now :rolleyes:

I have just been sent an email- !!!!

from dlccollect:-

Direct Legal & Collections

URGENT! angry cat Please call HSL on 0870 7414222 quoting reference numberXXXX

I believe that this random email is from Egg debt collectors - Hillesdon Securities??

How aboslutely disgusting to send an email like this!!

Angry Cat

From egg to chicken farm in one fowl swoop.

I'll stop the jokes now :p

PS: See http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/egg/4267-angry-cat-egg-3.html#post147346 if you have no idea what I'm going on about..

If my reply or advice was helpful, please click the scales!

-------

DISCLAIMER: My opinions are strictly personal, and should not be taken as a substitute for individual professional legal advice on your own particular situation.

-------

• 5 weeks later...

Googling produced the material below. Among others, a profile of David St Clare Nelson who appears to be an ex oil and gas lawyer before moving to Egg inhouse. To access his profile you first need to sign on supplying limited particulars about yourself.

If Mr Nelson thinks intimatory phone calls to cardholders' homes are good clean fun, perhaps he can be given a taste of his own medicine when he too receives unwelcome letters and phone calls in his own home.

MISTERMIND - Please note - this site does not condone intimidatory action - no matter who from/to and for what reason.

You may be very angry because of the treatment you have received, but this does not permit you to make such suggestions here.

Further examples of this will result in a loss of access.