Advice regarding age related work issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5619 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

My father is 72 and is employed as a crane driver. Although he is 72 my father is still capable of climbing up and down a crane everyday and has no physical or mental issues regarding his job.

Previously his company have contacted him stating that he is above the companies retirement age and if he would like to continue working can he request it in writing. We have done that and all was fine. That was until yesterdat when he received a letter from his company stating that due to his age they no longer have a position for my father and he is to stop working on the 21st January 2009. The letter also states that he has 5 days to appeal and state reasons why he wishes to continue working. My father is going to appeal but was just wondering what he should put in the letter, as i said he is both physically and mentally capable of doing the job and every year he passes the medicals that he has to take, his work record is exemplary. So i would like some advice as to what we should put in the letter and any other advice you may have.

Thankyou in advance.

Got this from the website Good practice - Retirement - Age Positive

Procedures apply if an employer decides to use a compulsory retirement age.When an employer uses a compulsory retirement age (whether 65 or higher) they must write to employees not less than six months before the intended retirement date telling them of their right to request to work longer.

All employees have the right to request to work beyond a compulsory set retirement ageand employers must consider all requests to work longer.

Employers may still refuse an employee to work past the compulsory retirement age (whether 65 or higher) as long as they have followed the correct procedures.

I appreciate that at 72 he deserves a rest but he wants to continue working. Dad is old school, i think he'd be happy if he died working, he is one of these guys who goes to work no matter how he feels. Believe me me and Mum want him to give up but he just loves work!!!