style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4542 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi and thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

I left my employment last October to commence my maternity leave, during which time the company had been bought out, I was made redundant in May 2008. I asked ACAS as to what would happen to my SMP payments and they "weren't sure" and told me to ask my HR Manager. I did this and was told that once my employment ceased, so would my SMP payments.

I found out recently that I was fully entitled to my full 39 weeks.

If you have the right to receive SMP, you'll get it even if you decide to leave your job (or are made redundant) before you start receiving SMP. Also once you start getting it, your employer must continue to pay SMP to you even if you leave your job or are made redundant.

Source: Maternity pay : Directgov - Parents

I wrote a letter 3 weeks ago to the gentleman who took over from my old employers and also copied a letter to my old employers (as I am unsure who is responsible). I repeated the above paragraph and informed them that I am still owed over £1200 (11 weeks SMP). I have heard nothing. I am just wondering what to do now?

Thank you. :)

For what it is worth, I would get my local Social Security Office (or whatever they are called now) to take it up. The new owner has an obligation to pay any existing SMP, SSP etc payments. I cannot remember the exact law, but I know that when I bought my business, I had a statutory requirement to fulfil any existing statutory payments. If it was a small business, he can probably get the payments back from HMRC anyway. It looks as though he is just being idle or doesn't know the rules.

For what it is worth, I would get my local Social Security Office (or whatever they are called now) to take it up. The new owner has an obligation to pay any existing SMP, SSP etc payments. I cannot remember the exact law, but I know that when I bought my business, I had a statutory requirement to fulfil any existing statutory payments. If it was a small business, he can probably get the payments back from HMRC anyway. It looks as though he is just being idle or doesn't know the rules.

Yes that's an idea, think it's the Department of Work and Pensions now. I called my old HR manager about it and he said "hmm well I know nothing about maternity pay anyway...." helpful! :rolleyes: I shall call the DWP tomorrow, just angers me that they haven't responded and I could blooming well do with that money right now too! :(

Thanks Trilby. Just come off the phone to Revenue & Customs, because the 6 month deadline is up (last paid SMP in May and also made redundant in May) that they cannot take on this, she has said that she will contact the employer and say they have to pay, but can do nothing other than that, hopefully the phone call from them maybe enough.

I'm so angry as I was mis-informed in May and have only now just realised that I was entitled to this money. :-x

The fact that Revenue and Customs are involved may just be the nudge they need ! Because the agencies are rolling into 1 they probably don't want to draw too much attention to themselves, I'm not saying they have anything to hide but it could open up a can of worms !

Regards

LilyLou

Regards

LilyLou

If I have been helpful please tip my scales

Any advice/comments I give are based solely on personal experience, if in doubt please consult an expert.

Fabulous result, brilliant ! :D

Hope all goes well in the future :)

Regards

LilyLou

Regards

LilyLou

If I have been helpful please tip my scales

Any advice/comments I give are based solely on personal experience, if in doubt please consult an expert.