• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

mjanet v lloyds :** WON ** UNCONDITIONALLY

Janet-M
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What a brilliant read. Interplanetary exploration must be alive and well. Not only have you managed to land on the one bankers and solicitors inhabit and infiltrate their society but you appear to have grasped the basics of their alien language as well.

There are some little gems on the way.

For example:-

we therefore do not understand the relevance of your second paragraph

Perhaps you might be well advised to consider a career in something other than being solicitors, then

We should be grateful if you would contact the Court to confirm that the case has been settled as soon as possible’

It’s been said before but did you tell them you’d be charging them 35 quid for doing so before adding ‘only joking….or am I?’ Also it’s noticeable that they say ‘should be grateful’ Of course they should, but they won’t…

This letter is the bank's final response, which means that if you remain dissatisfied you may refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service

Oh, may I really. How very very nice of you. Thank you so much…

The work you’ve done and the stoic way in which you have thwarted them at every turn is an inspiration to everyone… a reminder that these people have no authority over any of us and that we are, when all’s said and done, ‘the customer’. Which other business would last five minutes if it treated customers and clients with such off-handed contempt?

Thanks for the boost and good luck……

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The work you’ve done and the stoic way in which you have thwarted them at every turn is an inspiration to everyone… a reminder that these people have no authority over any of us and that we are, when all’s said and done, ‘the customer’. Which other business would last five minutes if it treated customers and clients with such off-handed contempt?

This is very true! you have been an inspiration

Lloyds TSB Progess

first letter sent 10th June

Received reply 20th June

Second letter sent 30th June

Revieved final response 7th July

Filled in claim on line 30/07/06

Recieved Acknowledgment of service 4th August

Defence submitted 6th September

Allocation Questionnaire due back 20th Sept

Sent my Allocation Questionnaire back 10th Sept

Got there copy of Allication Questionaire 23rd Sept

Court date set for 25th Jan '07

Paragon Finance Progress

Sent first letter 24th August 2006

No reply so second letter sent 10th Sept 2006

Received letter back saying they are going to investigate my claim

Offer made by Paragon for full ammount plus interst! Rusult!!!

Cheque recieved *Won*

Any thing I write on this site is only an oppinion as I am not a solicitor or legal whizz!

Unfortunately or do I mean fortunately for us the money lenders have got away with their unlawful conduct & we the consumer have let them get away with because of ignorance. As a result they have never found to need but to employ on their behalf unqualified staff who frankly ain't amongst the sharpest tools in the box.

Therefore when confronted by a consumer who is not prepared to be bullied they really can't cope (cos they ain't trained to). The money lenders in their desire to save money at all costs are now paying the price for employing the underqualified to do their bidding.

Ain't it great!

what a great inspiration, what a lady!!!!WELL DONE

Barclaycard Student credit card £400 partial refund received, S.A.R -

Open & Direct Finance- extortionate, cca to Rockwell debt collection they ran away, now with Bryan Carter, no cca 17/03/08 sent back to Open

Pugsley v Littlwoods, have not received the signed credit agreement only quoting reg of 1983

Pugsley v Fashion World JD williams, 17/03 2008 Debt Managers returning file to JD williams as they could not supply the credit agreement

Capital one MCOL Settled in full

Smile lba settled in full

advice is given informally and without liability and without prejudice.

Without prejudice means it can't be produced in court ,when in fact if you do end up in court you would want to be able to produce your letters

Thats not quite correct. Many people, including solicitors try to hide all communications under this heading.

See the thread elsewhere on this forum.

The letters can be produced after the case is decided in order to help the judge establish the matter of costs.

Without going into the full reasons. Just because you title a letter 'without prejudice' does not mean that it can't be shown in court; you do however need to know absolutely what you are doing.

FP

Post number 139 ( below ) answers this , Janet

Up to you adam999. Your best bet however is to reply to the Customer Service letter, IE: the address on the top of their first refusal.

Also, you may want to consider posting your own thread where you can log your progress and ask questions - helps keep track of things a bit easier :)

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Thats not quite correct. Many people, including solicitors try to hide all communications under this heading.

See the thread elsewhere on this forum.

The letters can be produced after the case is decided in order to help the judge establish the matter of costs.

Without going into the full reasons. Just because you title a letter 'without prejudice' does not mean that it can't be shown in court; you do however need to know absolutely what you are doing.

FP

I thought that under the case law as determined in Walker -v- Wilshire, communications marked "without prejudice" cannot be ordered to be disclosed even post-judgement unless both parties to the action wiave their rights to privileged status?

AFAIK although, as noted in Unilever v Proctor & Gamble [2000], there are exceptions to the general rule of non-admissibility of "Without Prejudice" documents, there is no general exception of non-admissibility when it comes to the question of costs.

I thought that the only way that non-admissibility can be avoided is by using the Calderbank formula (re: Calderbank v Calderbank [1976] ) of negotiating "Without Prejudice Save as to Costs"?

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

• 2 weeks later...

This has been the most helpful and confidence boosting topic than ANY of the stickies or FAQ's. This whole topic should be made a "Must Read First" sticky, for anyone who visits these forums to start their own claims. It really is THAT GOOD!!!!

I take my hat off to you mjanet, this has been the best half hour of reading i have ever done in my life, by a long, long way. Thank you so much.

Greatest respects,

Colin.

Lloyds: Started

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

Stayed- Awaiting further developments with new test cases!

Mint C/Card: Started

SAR Sent & Received

Preliminary Sent

Stayed - Awaiting further developments with new test cases!

ENDEAVOUR PPI: Started

SAR Sent & Received

Gone pear shaped! See HERE

• 2 weeks later...

absolutely right. I will be saving this one. Janet, you're a star!

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

17/11 claim #2 started - incl creditcard

30/11 - CC statements received

31/11 - Prelims issued - RBS paying up, only M/C to go)

If any of my advice/ info has been helpful, please click the scales:D

Please also remember that any advice is given from my own experience and in good faith as a lay person. If in doubt, please contact a qualified professional:)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up a dead post but i only signed up on friday (after hearing martin lewis on radio 2) **25 and listening to radio 2 on a friday ... whats that about???** but i think this is a good read and made me laugh, i have no knowledge of law but i now know i aint excepting any conditions if my case goes to moneyclaim. ... well done and i agree, if your new to this this is a must on How Not To Get Bullied

Cheers

Mark

:):)

Time To Stick It To The Man!!

08/10/2006 - Halifax - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent

14/10/2006 - Halifax - S.A.R - letter back saying they have acknowledged my request

19/10/2006 - Halifax - Prelim letter wrote to the tune of £1883

04/11/2006 - Halifax - Offer received £691

Hi MJanet, this refers to my business account, Im getting slightly confused to which i should be claiming back as there is a "Bus Focus Fee" and a "Service Charge" can i cliam back on both or just one of them, look forward to any reply, cheers Kev

• 1 month later...

I am soooooooo jealous! Have followed both yours and Sue Hitchcocks cases closely and am really impressed and inspired by your calmness and the way you took them on. I've got a court date - 12th Jan - and have had no further correspondence from the Boys in Brighton since the AQs went in. Am now accepting that, in my case, they are going all the way - they have even declared that they are bringing an expert witness against me....? They owe me just shy of £1800 so I assume it is worth their while to push all the way.

Congratulations though!! It must be a huge relief, just a couple more months and hopefully, I can be as happy as you are now!

Cococat

I am soooooooo jealous! Have followed both yours and Sue Hitchcocks cases closely and am really impressed and inspired by your calmness and the way you took them on. I've got a court date - 12th Jan - and have had no further correspondence from the Boys in Brighton since the AQs went in. Am now accepting that, in my case, they are going all the way - they have even declared that they are bringing an expert witness against me....? They owe me just shy of £1800 so I assume it is worth their while to push all the way.

Congratulations though!! It must be a huge relief, just a couple more months and hopefully, I can be as happy as you are now!

Cococat

Cococat, I am in exactly the same situ as you!

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

Hi Mjanet

I started my claim against Lloyds TSB in the middle of August and now I am just waiting for a court date. I received a copy of Lloyd's allocation questionaire from their solicitors. It states that they want a further month's grace and in addition they are not able to go to court throughout the month of December.

Their defence is woeful and goes on and on about me accepting their terms and conditions when I opened the account. However one point that throws me is the fact they state that they will call an expert witness. I have never come across this before when looking at other peoples allocation questionaires.

The claim is for over four grand and with the interest added it is just under the five grand.

I reside in Scotland but I filed in Willesden County Court in London because of the £5000 smjall claim's limit in England. I looked into legal precedent in relation to jurisdiction before I filed. Lloyds defence makes no mention about challenging jurisdiction so does this mean that they cannot introduce in court. If anyone has come across the expert witness thing before I would like to hear from them.

Tony

Hi Mjanet

I started my claim against Lloyds TSB in the middle of August and now I am just waiting for a court date. I received a copy of Lloyd's allocation questionaire from their solicitors. It states that they want a further month's grace and in addition they are not able to go to court throughout the month of December.

Their defence is woeful and goes on and on about me accepting their terms and conditions when I opened the account. However one point that throws me is the fact they state that they will call an expert witness. I have never come across this before when looking at other peoples allocation questionaires.

The claim is for over four grand and with the interest added it is just under the five grand.

I reside in Scotland but I filed in Willesden County Court in London because of the £5000 smjall claim's limit in England. I looked into legal precedent in relation to jurisdiction before I filed. Lloyds defence makes no mention about challenging jurisdiction so does this mean that they cannot introduce in court. If anyone has come across the expert witness thing before I would like to hear from them.

Tony

hiya Tony, I have had them say they are calling and expert witness and that htye cannot attend court through november for the same reasons; from the other claims i have been reading recently, they ahd done the same to most people recently.

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

Yes, un1boy's right, northland, it's LTSB's standard defence (at the moment!). I have one just the same. Nothing to stop you complaining about their request for a postponement when you submit your AQ.

As LTSB have so far not entered a courtroom to defend their position, I suspect that their expert witness is none other than Jacob Marley.:)

Elsinore

Oh, hope this helps, but I was allocated a court date a while ago and I called SCM yesterday after 2 followup letters to ask when they are going to contact as mentioned in the AQ to arrange settlement. They told me that a settlement offer will be sent to me this week.

I'm going to call thme today to double-check when it is going to be sent.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks