BARCLAYCARD Round 2 ***WON***

skintboy69
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5347 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having recovered all charges + 8% from these guys for wifey I have now started on my own.

BC responded surprisingly quickly to my Subject Access Request and sent all the info they had going back to 2002 which is when the account was opened. They did point out to me that their microfilm stuff (ie pre 2004) was not 'defined as a relevent filing system' so far as the 1998 data protection act is concerned and that they only dug it out and sent it to me as a favour. Nice, hey??

Well, I have sent my preliminary request and SOC - in fact, 2. one @29.9% and 1 @ 8% (compound) and basically told them to pay the smaller by return and by cheque, or I'll see them in court for the larger.

In general terms, is one considered to be short in the 'bottle' department for accepting anything less than CCI??

Keep the faith, T.

Edited by skintboy69

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Skint,

Not many peeps go for the higher rates of interest, probably for several reasons.

I set these out in post #2 of your other thread - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/158327-let-battle-commence.html#post1694460

The reward, if you're succesful, are considerably higher than a "simple" reclaim, but it's a longer and harder fight and you'll have to pay for the various stages of the court process. You can claim this back, of course.

Take a good read of this thread, where Noomill is helping Brindles - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/163825-morgan-stanley-barclaycard.html

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Good morning Slick. Yes, I know the pros and conns and 8% is definitley the easier road.

When I first found this excellent site about 18 months ago there were quite a few posts saying, more or less, if you don't go for your full entitlement ie CCI, the banks etc. would think you didn't know what you were doing and would be less inclined to settle.

It seems to me that the game has changed somewhat over the last 12 months and I was interested to see what current practice is.

As for me, even if I don't recover another penny from the various institutions that have taken charges from me over the years (and I don't think that likely ;)) I can honestly say that this site has changed my life. It has taught me that banks can't just do what they want to you. It has taught me how to fight back and it has given me the motivation to re-organise my finances. I'm still skint, but I'm getting there. I don't jump every time the phone rings and I don't hide unopened mail because I'm too scared to see what's inside. I did 18 months ago.

Keep the faith.

T.

Hi Skint and thanks for the inspiring post - this is what CAG is all about!!

I can't speak about other institutions but, with BC, it seems they are now quite happy and quick to settle after maybe one or two refusals.

They even throw in an 8% bonus which really is a goodwill gesture.

They are doing this because they know they would fail in court and because they are saving a lot compared to paying interest in restitution or at the contractual rate. :)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

BC are paying out very fast at the moment, I sent my Prelim on the 22nd Oct, on the 3rd I had a partial offer which I refused and sent LBA and they paid out in full on the 8th November.

So from Prelim to payout was 17 days in total.

I only went for the charges and they added 8% on top.

Good Luck :)

Hi Scatz! Did you have any over limit charges and if so did you claim them back?Have just received my husbands SAR from Barclaycard and because of the payment protection he is constantly over the limit resulting in a £12 over credit limit charge.Any help welcomed with open arms1RegardsML

Hi MandyLou,

Start yourself a thread in this forum and we'll be happy to help as required.

As well as reclaiming the BC charges, have a think about whether the PPI was agreed to properly when taken out, and whether it's really required now.

Gesture of goodwill letter arrived today. it was processed 2 days after they received by claim.

My rejection letter is aready written and ready to go. They have about a week to come up with the full amount. Otherwise, I'll have to dust off my wig (if you know what I mean). :roll:

Keep the faith.

T. 8)

Hi Skint,

I assume they only offered a partial refund.

:)

As ever, Slick, but they will have my rejection tomorrow or Monday.

They still have 6 days to accept the 8% claim in full. If they don't, it's off to court for the full 29.9%.

They've had fair chance to save themselves a few bob, in fact I spelled it out in words of one syllable but when the 6 days are up, they're up. :-D

Keep the faith.

T. 8)

Their time is up. I've heard nothing from them since their 'gesture of goodwill'. I posted the rejection letter last weekend and the 14 days I gave them has expired.

They will, therefore, receive from Santa (aka skintboy69 :-D) an LBA for all charges + CCI. They have been warned!!!!!

Wish me luck; I might go down in flames :eek:.

Keep the faith.

T. :cool:

Quick update.

Today I received their response to my rejection letter. In it they give the usual c*#p and say I will have the results of their 'investigation' by 8th January.:eek:

Happily for me (but unhappily for them) they received my LBA today as well.

In it, I had advised them that the deadline for accepting my 8% deal was passed and it was now, so to speak, the full monty.

To add to their misery, their 14days to reflect expires before 8th Jan. I wonder what they'll do. :-D

I wonder what I'll do. :rolleyes:

Keep the faith.

Best wishes to all.

So have you enclosed an SOC specifying the full amount of int't which you are now claiming.

Hi Slick.

Yes I have. As I said in an earlier post, when I sent my original prelim. I sent 2 soc's. one @ 8% and one @ 29.9%

I gave them a fair choice. Either pay in full at 8% within 14 days or I would file my claim with the county court for the full 29.9%. I made it perfectly clear that the 8% offer was only open for 14 days and that I made them this offer to facilitate a quick settlement at minimum cost to both parties.

As usual, they have chosen to faf around with a rediculous gesture of goodwill. I wrote back rejecting that and reminded them that they still had a few days to pay up.

Again, they chose to ignore it so I sent a LBA + SOC at the end of the 14 days.

I have since received another letter from them - a different department though, saying I would have their response by 8th. Jan. This is obviously a response to my rejection letter, because it was posted the day I posted my LBA. The 14 days grace given in my LBA runs out before 8th Jan. so I'm wondering how they will react.

Any thoughts??

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings troops. I hope Christmas went well for you all.

Here's another update - and I could do with a bit of advise as well.

BC actually got back to me on Christmas eve, a good bit earlier than they said. They have credited my account with the balance of their charges + a flat 8%.

I'm now of three minds (quite a feat for someone with a tiny brain :p)and I would really appreciate a bit of considered feedback. Here we go:

1) Accept the £xxx and consider it a result - which it's better than the proverbial poke in the eye etc.

2) Acknowledge receipt of a second part payment and ask them to come up with a mutually acceptable settlement.

3) File a claim for £xxxx and see what happens in court.

As usual, the interest they have charged is about 3x the actual charges. At present, I favour options 2 & 3 but I would welcome your combined wisdom.

Keep the faith.

Hi Skint,

They won't negotiate with you or improve their offer, so forget option 2.

If you are confident of your understanding of interest and the reasons you want to claim it from BC, you could go for it. It is unlikely to be decided by a judge in court as BC are likely to negotiate a settlement at the last minute. Even just before the hearing on the day so you'll have to pay AQ and hearing fees up front.

You'll need full court bundles too.

If it gets too tough during the run up to your full court hearing, you can always back down and settle for the charges + flat 8%. You'd have to agree with BC about court fees.

Hi Slick. Thanks for coming back so quickly. Your reply is just what I expected - but we live in hope.....

I think I'll take this one all the way, though I know I'll need some help with the paperwork. Will you be around??

As to understanding the principals; my understanding, at present, is a little basic to say the least but I'm reading up on everything I can find on the site and I won't file until I'm sure of what I'm doing. I assume I can take my time at this stage.

From a legal point of view, I would have thought it obvious that if the charges are unlawful then any intrest added to those charges must be unlawful as well. (too simplistic??)

The court costs are not really an issue either as BC have already returned substantially more than that, however, if it goes to court and I lose :eek: what might their costs be? It would be small claims anyway.

Cheers, T.:cool:

Edited by skintboy69
crap spelling!

Hi Skint,

If you're going for full interest, file now anyway as it'll be ages before you get to a hearing date, by which time, you'll hopefully be an int't expert. ;)

Court costs shoulldn't be an issue as this should be Small Claims Track. Court fees can be negotiated on if you decide to withdraw your claim and accept just charges + 8% Statutory Int't.

(too simplistic??)

A bit, yes.

Hi Slick.

It makes perfect sense to me. :p Maybe I should give up engineering and be a judge. I'd soon set the world to rights.

Seriously though, thanks again for the help and advise. I'll try to get the papers to the court early next week.

Watch this space.

Keep the faith.