Is my insurance invalid?

cmscout
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5624 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My car was parked outside my house and hit by another driver this morning, I wasn't in it and it seemed like a genuine accident, he hit another car and spun it into mine.

Swapped all of the insurance details with the driver, but when I looked at my policy I noticed there might be an error. I lease the car on a personal lease but hadn't told the insurance company that it was leased and I wasn't the legal owner (naievety, I really didn't know I had to do this, was the first time I had leased a car and assumed it was like every other car insurance policy I'd taken out)

I'm worried that even tho the crash wasn't my fault, if I tell the insurance company tomorrow they'll invalidate my insurance and I won't be able to claim.

As the accident clearly wasn't my fault, are they likely to check into my details closely, I'll obviously get the details changed shortly but would rather get this claim out of the way first if you see what I mean!

Yes I think the policy is invalid, if it was sold on the basis that you are the legal owner of the car. Did you take out the policy over the phone or on the internet? If it was on the phone they should have asked who is the registered owner/keeper of the vehicle.

However, this doesn't mean that you won't be able to claim, as this is a non-fault claim. It just means you will have to settle the claim directly with the other driver (or the other driver's insurer).

For a start - you were not to blame so there is no issue here - the other parties insurance will pay for the damage.

However before DRIVING your car I would inform your insurers of the position regarding the leasing of the car - it will probably make no difference but it is always best to be sure, and the penalties for driving on a public highway without insurance can include having your car seized. points on your license and a heavy fine.

I would suspect that as your insurance company will not be liable to pay on this accident they will proably overlook this. It might have been a different story if they were looking for a way out of paying a claim.

• Haha 1

Unless th OP is claiming direct from the TP then his insurance WILL be paying out for a claim (they will reclaim the money back).

Someone with any common sense should simply re-rate the policy based on the correct info. The only problem that may occur is if they would not have insured the vehicle had they known it was a lease.

It is a mere technicality.

The only problem that might occur