Postage question ?

supasnooper
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5618 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wondering about the service that MBNA and some other banks use which is the UKMail pre-printed pre-paid envelope.

How can it be verified that the letter was posted on a certain day when no postmark or signature is required for this service ?

And is it a valid service for delivery of documents ?

A court will accept a dated copy of a letter as proof of posting, there does not need to be any specific certificate of posting nor confirmation/proof of delivery/signature.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

This is an issue which at some time will need addressing.

More and more companies are using UK Mail and taking advantage of the fact that there is no date tracking on the envelope.

I've had letters which if the date on the letter is to be believed took 9 days to arrive. I believe that companies are now back dating letters in order to force people into default situations.

There isn't any date on the Royal Mail equivalent, nothing to do with them using UK Mail (or any other company for that matter).

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

There may not be a date on postage by Royal Mail however there is a reasonable expectation that first class post post will take one day (or possibly two).

In the case of UK Mail and TNT they normally take 5 - 6 days to deliver mail. This is worse than second class post but cheaper (which is why people use the private companies).

As to solicitors pre-dating letters this is something they learn during their training. In one case of mine the stupid fools pre-dated a reply to my letter to the day before I wrote it!

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

In the case of UK Mail and TNT they normally take 5 - 6 days to deliver mail. This is worse than second class post but cheaper (which is why people use the private companies).

Palomino, thanks for your input.

I'm trying to establish how the legal people view the postal services UKMail and TNT offer.

Is it a 1st class or 2nd class service ?

I ask this as MBNA and RBOS are sending default notices out by this service giving 17 days to remedy. If the service they use is 2nd class then the default notice may be deemed ineffective.

That's a good point. The service is a 2-3 day service, not 5-6 days, so it is equivalent to Royal Mail's Second Class service.