• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Faulty Washing Machine From Brighthouse

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5624 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In Febuary 2008 I bought a 'Quality Refurbished' Beko WMA 765 W Washing Machine from Brighthouse. I am paying for the Service Cover and the Damage Liability Insurance for peace of mind if anything goes wrong.

Within 2 months it would 'reset' itself while spinning at full speed. An engineer arrived on the 7th of April 2008, he told me that it was the way i was loading the machine and he told me how to load the machine properly. I followed his instructions but the machine still 'reset' itself on the 1st wash after he left.

Another engineeer was supposed to come out on the 9th of April 2008 and have a look at it but i got a call from the Brighthouse Service Centre telling me the engineer could not make it and they asked if the appointment could be re-arranged for the following week. I replied that no i could not do without my washing machine for that long so they arranged to pick my washing machine up and give me a loaner to use in the meantime. They did this on the 10th of April 2008.

My machine was returned on the 16th of April 2008 and it was working fine until the 8th of May 2008 when another engineer had to come out as the washer was 'resetting' itself when it was supposed to spin the clothes. He said that the motor was struggling and it needed a new motor despite the machine being less than 1 year old! He ordered the new motor, told me i would get a call when it arrived and they would arrange to fit it. They called me on the 13th of May 2008 to tell me the new motor had arrived and they will send an engineer to fit it on the 22nd of May 2008.

On the 27th of May 2008 i noticed the washing machine was having the same problem again so i called Brighthouse and they arranged an engineer to come out on the 31st of May 2008. By this point i was absolutly sick of the washing machine but i did notice that it only had a problem when it was spinning at full speed (1600 RPM) but it worked fine on the lower spin speeds (1200, 800 & 600 RPM). I could do the 1st wash of the day with it spinning at 1600 RPM but any further washes had to spin at a lower speed otherwise the washing machine would 'reset' itself. To prove that the machine did indeed have the described fault i set up my mobile phone, which has the facility to record video, set up the washing machine to spin at full speed and left it. My mobile phone recorded the whole thing and i showed it to the engineer when he arrived. He said it was the mainboard and he replaced it for me.

On the 12th of September the washer was 'restting' itself again and the engineer came out on the 13th and replaced the mainboard again.

All was fine until the 27th of November when after 2 washes the machine just churned the clothes but refuses to spin on any speed at all. The Engineer is coming out on the 1st of December, if he cannot fix it they will take it to the Service Centre and give me a loaner again.

I have had enough now. I want to know if anyone can advise me as i am sick of having to do without the Washing machine every time it goes wrong and i am sick of waiting in for engineers all the time.

Any advice or help will be much appreciated.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

Hi

You certainly have been having a hard time!

This item was a QR item and wasn't brand new at the time you took out the agreement, but despite anything they tell you, this does not affect your statutory rights under the sales of goods act. This means if they sell you something that doesn't do what it is advertised to do, even if it is due to the item breaking down, then they are effectively in breach of the contract they made with you (the point of sale, not the HP agreement).

Now you did take the OSC for peace of mind, which under the terms of the same act, shouldn't have made any difference, but that's another story. I would say that given your catalogue of failures in just 1 year, that they should not now complain at the request to replace the item altogether. But you can't expect to get a brand new item, as you signed for a QR in the first place.

My advice is to insist that you get a replacement, and that you get to have a choice and to see the item in your local store before they deliver it to your home.

Providing they find an item that is similarly priced to yours, they should be able to perform a "switch-out" on yor existing agreement, meaning that you won't have to sign a new agreement, and as such you won't be paying any more than you would if your original item was OK.

I think this course of action is the only answer, it is a reasonable request for you to make after the trouble you have had, and let's face it, if it was a DVD player or a games console or some other that was "non-essential" then maybe not, but this is one of the golden 3 items in your house (cooker, fridge, washing machine) without it things are very difficult.

Hope this helps, and please keep us informed.

PJ

PlumberJon :-D

UNUS VIR OBVIAM ORBIS TERRARUM

Are you being harrassed by a DCA or Brighthouse. Click the link for OFT Debt collection guidelines. Chances are, they could be in breach of some part of sections 2 or 3 or both!

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

I just give advice, I can't do it for you though!!

If you were helped, then please wiggle my scales, and you might get a wiggle back!!!

I think that you have put up with more than enough.

Write them a letter telling them that their visit on the 1st December is their final chance. After that the contact is at an end and that you will get a new machine elsewhere and require a full and immediate refund.

You will have to fork out for the new machine straightaway unfortunately - and also store their machine until they pick it up.

Be as good as your word. If the machine is not repaired then send them another referring to this letter and giving them 7 days for the refund or you will sue.

BH are used to this kind of tying - but they aren't used to people carrying out their threats.

Be as good as your word. They will buckle down. Don't extend any deadlines. Honour your threats. You will win and get your costs as well.