Charging for debit card payments due to 'uncleared' funds? When did this happen?

thekat1979
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5608 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I got 2 letters from Barclays this morning telling me that payments I made using my debit card were unable to be paid adequately due to insufficient funds andthat because they were guaranteed payments, they would charge me £8.00 to guarantee them.

I've never received letters like this before, and was just wondering if someone could shed some light?

In the past, if I've used my debit card, it has only allowed me to use the card IF I have enough money in my account. If not, then it rejects the payment. Once I had made the payment it was put - pretty much straight away - onto my 'uncleared' balance on my account - which is the one that Barclays have ALWAYS used to determine if I can get any more transactions out. When did this change? What is going on?

TheKat1979 - Taking Control!

Taking on -

Barclaycard via HFO - daft application form sent

Barclays Current Account - at AQ stage - fingers crossed asked for Hardship

Egg - various issues! Are about to default me on a disputed debt!

Bryan Carter CCJ set aside - looks to have been set aside without a trip to court! WOO!

Does anyone know what this is about as I'm now getting letters through almost daily telling me that I have been charged £8.00 per transaction that they have had to 'guarantee'. In the past, with my debit card, if I haven't had the money in it, then they simply haven't allowed the transaction to go through. Now I'm finding myself £70 over my personal reserve amount and with the charges they are putting on, I have no hope whatsoever of getting out of this! I'm not using my account any differently than I used to. Yet this has only been an issue in the past 2-3 weeks. Eeep! They are eating up all of my money and they are taking their charges regardless of whether there is money in the account or not and charging me AGAIN for not having the funds in there! OMG!

Taking on -

Bryan Carter CCJ set aside - looks to have been set aside without a trip to court! WOO!

On August 18th Barclays brought in the Personal Reserve.

As I understand it,

If you go into your personal reserve you incur a fee of £22

If you have not cleared the reserve within 5 days, you incur another £22 fee.

If you exceed your personal reserve limit, you are charged a fee of £5 per transaction whether guaranteed or returned.

These fees will continue until you deposit enough to clear the reserve.

More details on Barclays webpage.

Fees, charges and limits explained - Personal Reserve - Current account - Barclays

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

They are charging me £8.00 per transaction, when in the past I couldn't make a transaction on my card UNLESS the money was in there. These are just bog-standard run-of-the-mill debit card payments with a Visa Delta. When I made the transactions, there was nough money in there, the only thing I can think of is that when they religiously take their £22 from my account EVERY Monday that this puts me over, or near, my personal reserve limit. But how am I supposed to know if the transaction is going to be charged a 'guarantee' amount of £8.00 if they OK it at the time when there WAS enough money in there then take all kinds of fees AFTER the transaction. Their large print letters take on average 3-4 extra days to get to me, so it takes a while to know what charges are being added - I'm registered blind so need the large print versions. Garrr!!!???

Taking on -

Just been looking through my online bank account and with the exception of 2 items, all the ones theat they alledge tehy had to 'guarantee' had more than sufficient funds to carry them out. Its not like i was THAT close to the reserve limit either - a good 60 away from it. I may have to make a complaint I think. :-(

Taking on -

Hi TK,

You could go into your branch and ask for an explanation.

If no joy there, take it up with Cust'r Svs. :)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I've just put a letter together - the branch near where I currently live is only a diddy little thing that only has like 2 people in it and none of them are personal bankers. I always get told to go to a bigger branch lol. I've put together a letter that I'm sending off today though. Hopefully that should get me some answers.

Taking on -