/Choice Complaint

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello! I am brand new to the site and am chuffed to bits I have found it. I have an ongoing complaint with First Choice and I really hope someone may be able to tell me whether to just forget it and give up as I am wasting my time, or hopefully on the other hand tell me I have every right to a fair amount of compensation.

Basically I paid nearly £2000 for a five star all inclusive holiday to Menorca to find on my arrival that virtually none of the facilities in the hotel were open. Both outdoor pools, 2 restaurants, all bars, kids club, supermarket, boutique and more were all closed. Amongst other issues with First Choice, (eg, having to chase my tickets three days before my departure and finding they didn't even have any of our names in their system) we were also delayed 7 hours coming home. On research I am sure I have no chance with the flight as we did use the ticket and we were given food vouchers at the airport.

Anyway, this is a brief outline of problems. Can anyone tell me if I should persist with complaining? I have received standard apology letters fron First Choice saying they were not informed of the pool closures.

Thanks in advance,

Kate

Hi pregnantone and welcome to the CAG.

Although I am not an expert, I would presume First Choice (being one of the UK's largest Travel Agent) are registered with ABTA. The first thing I would do would be to inform them of the problem and show them copies of the apology letters. They must be acknowledging a fault on there part by apologising in the first place.

Alternatively, let First Choice know of your intentions and maybe they will offer some kind of compensation to avoid that action. As I said, I'm no expert but someone with more knowledge should read this in time and offer more advice. Just hang in there;)

If any of this is helpful, please click on the small scales on my left.

• Haha 1

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Hello and Welcome, pregnantone.

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum :)

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi pregnantone,

Can you tell us the name of the hotel?

When was the holiday? I ask because if it was very early/late in the holiday season, they are likely to be covered by the brochure T & C's. Many TO's state that if you are holidaying early/late then some facilities may be closed. For example, here in Cyprus many of the hotel pools close during our 'winter' season, Oct-April.

If this is not the case and the loss of the closed facilities had a major impact on the enjoyment of your holiday then I would take it further.

Did you complain to your rep or contact the local First Choice office in resort? This will help with your claim.

TO's pay a certain amount per person per day for the loss of advertised facilities so you should certainly be able to recoup something if you are prepared to go the distance.

Was there an indoor pool? Was every bar really closed? I wouldn't expect this from a 5 star hotel and find it rather bizarre.

• Haha 1

Loubychew

I am not a travel lawyer. All info is based on my own experience of working in the travel industry in resort.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

Loubychew, the hotel was the Insotel Club Punta Prima and yes we did take our holiday in the October half term. However, I ensured I covered myself fully by checking brochures and websites belonging to First Choice, Elipse Direct, Sovereign, and not a single one stated any early or seasonal closures. The letter I received from First Choice in response to my complaint has solely stated that they were not advised of the closures either so therefore they couldn't advise me in advance and bluntly it was not their fault therefore.

There were 2 hotels in the grounds of this property.. We had to check in to the reception of the neighbouring sister hotel due to the even the reception of our hotel being closed! All bars including pool bars and all restaurants in our hotel were closed. We had to take all meals in the sister property and the mini disco (which also ended half way through the holiday) was held in the only open bar here too. There was an indoor pool and we could use the outdoor pool in the sister hotel also. But it was small and of course all hotel residents were using it as there was no where else!

If I'd known these facilities weren't going to be open I would never have picked this hotel. I had two small children to keep happy and this was made difficult.

Hi pregnantone,

I found this in the T & C's on FC website:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL DESTINATIONS

During periods of low occupancy, some facilities and amenities may be unavailable.

They have partly covered themselves with this but it looks like the hotel management made a decision to close some facilities early and did not tell them. I have seen this happen before here in Cyprus and it is a nightmare for the reps and the TO. They can't advise guests if they don't know themselves.

Did you report it to your rep or the local resort office while you were there?

Write again. Be clear and concise. Detail everything in bullet points stating what was closed/wrong and how it affected your holiday.

In cases like this, where the hotel is at fault, TO's make a claim against the hotel and any recompense paid to you is deducted from the account of the hotel.

You will have to be determined. TO's hope that you will just give up and go away.

Loubychew

I am not a travel lawyer. All info is based on my own experience of working in the travel industry in resort.