• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Sky TV: misselling products and extortionate bills

cpashto70
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is my first post, so hi to everyone who's registered or browsing this excellent resource.

If the subject of this post would be better placed elsewhere on CAG please tell me.

I have an axe to grind with Sky TV and Broadband:

I have ordered and upgraded Sky packages over the last few months with the intent of saving me money. (Upgrades advised by Sky customer services). The package, which includes Sky Sports/Movies/Variety packs and up to 2mb broadband/free evening and weekend calls has been quoted as being circa £47.00 per month. In the ten months I've been with Sky I've not had a bill for less than £72.00; this was the first bill inc. £12.00 for phone calls.

Well now I'm really starting to get angry as my last bill was £132.00. The agreed amount of £47.00 should have one out on November 17th, however Sky (without my express permission) decided in their wisdom to take out the unauthorised amount of £132.00 ten days earlier than the agreed date. I received a letter from my bank telling me that Sky had taken the money and I didn't have enough in my account to cover the bill thus leaving me in the red. The bank then recalled the payment and charged me £25.00 for the courtesy.

Sky then suspended my service. This means I cannot use the internet; I have no facility to make outgoing calls; and I don't have any TV except for the normal 7 or 8 channels.

I duly called Sky TV to sort out the bill, the amount taken, and the bank charges. Needless to say, the customer service (CS) person was totally unhelpful telling me to pay up or lose the service completely and pay 12 months charges under the contract. I told them my bill wasn't due to be paid until the 17th and they said the bill does run up to 17th but they take the payment in advance. Eh??

My efforts were pointless. I called CS many times over the next couple of days with no joy whatsover. To add insult to injury on the 16th of November I received a letter from Sky with an invoice sheet for £223.00!!!

To be honest I really thought they were taking the p**s and still do. Out of total frustration I called them two days ago and said I was seeking legal advice now, and I wished to have my line and services stopped with immediate effect. Sky told me I couldn't. I told them I was disputing the whole service I'd received from them. I told them they were in breach of contract (on several counts) and I wished to take my custom elsewhere.

Sky then said I'd need a MAC code or something to tranfer and they weren't going to give it to me until the bill was paid in full.

I really needed the phone and internet to pursue this, and my kids of 12 and 15 desperately need the web in order to do their school work. Especially my son (15) who need access to the net for his final exams.

Sky were not in the least interested and said I should direct my complaint to Sky HQ. I said I'd got no phone to do that. They advised me to e-mail it then. By now my brow was furrowing and I was ready to strangle someone.

On the evening of 26th November, and in utter frustration and desperation I decided to succomb to their demands in order to pursue the case in full. I agreed to pay the £132.00 over the phone by card and then they'd connect me back up within 5 minutes. As sson as the payment had been confirmed they said that the computer needs the rest of the bill payed before connection could resume. I told them that this isn't possile has the remainder had to paid within ten days of the 17th november. They weren't having any of it, and so I had to pay the whole lot.

My next bill of anything between £72.00 and £223.00+ was due on the 17th December. I know this will mean (by experience) that my service will be cut on or around the 6th December.

I've asked for printed dialogue sheets detailing communication between me and all of the CS numpties I've spoken to, and paper invoices with concise information regarding packages I've signed up to and total bill payemtns with dates. I don't recall how many times I've requested this information but it's going back moths now...

Sky TV and internet might be good, but the customer service department is nothing but in name. I'm sure taking on a huge household name is going to be difficult, nigh impossible, but I've been ripped off and conned beyond any doubt. Is there anything I can do to get this looked at and even get some recompense, in the form of a refund for the money they taken from me unreasonably?

Sorry for the long post, but believe me, if I went through every problem I've had with Sky you'd be reading forever.

Thank you all in anticipation.

Craig

Welcome to cag.

If you believe that the dd will come out early and 'not' on the specified date, then ring the bank tomorrow and cancel the dd. Sky will want another £10 from you saying that is what it costs if you don't pay by dd, so be prepared for that.

To get all your paperwork, screenshots and phone calls (if they were recorded), you need to send them a Subject Access Request with a payment of £10. This will get you everything that the company has on you, or should if they keep to the regulations.

Ida (the one if Fife where it's cold) is the girl for you, she works for them.

• Haha 1

Sky then said I'd need a MAC code or something to tranfer and they weren't going to give it to me until the bill was paid in full.

They are not allowed to do this. Offcom regulations state that payment issues cannot be used to withhold a MAC. Sky must provide this within 5 working days of the request. The ISP I work for have to abide by this, so must Sky.

• Haha 1

Thanks very much for your advice. Appears this company is so established that common principles, such as running a legal and moral operation is of no concern to them. Until some real, weighty, and rigorous action is taken by Oftel (or other) then these conmen will continue to fleece good and honest people.

One of the reasons why we do not lump everything into one package with one provider. Sometime ago we had a dual supplier for the electric and the gas and when we went into dispute about the electric bill, they threaten to cut of the gas also. Phone, Internet, mobile phones are all with different suppliers even though it costs us slightly more. Same applies to out electric & gas. I do not recommend lumping everything with one supplier.

Anything above £47 is for telephone calls if that is the tv/bb and talk package you are on.

You can check your full statements on my sky on sky.com and this will break it all down for you and give you an itemed list of calls.

They will only give you recompense if they have debited the amoutn and dates wrongly whic you cn check your correct payment date of my sky as well.

Regarding advance, all payments are in advance i.e my payment is sue the 27th so on the 27th of dec i will pay for 27th til 27th Jan.

If you do not want to pay by dd then sky will try and charge you £4 per month for an 'invoice' charge.

Thanks for the plug coniff , i'll get shot down in flames now

If you check you bill online if you call charges for daytime calls go above £5 per month you may benefit better on the unlimited package

gives a shout if you need any more help

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Hi Ida

Thanks for the advice. I'm not into flaming people; only those who I feel are miselling products or abusing their finite positions.

I've checked my invoice and looked through all previous ones from my join date in January 07. No bill is the same as another. Although some changes may be reflective changed or upgraded packages on the advice of CS, who promised me big savings on comprehensive packages.

The most recent upgrade was to a package deal in or around July/August when I was assured that for an extra £5.00pm I could enjoy all the TV packages inc. all Sports and Movie channels, Broadband, and Telephone (all local calls free 24/7) for circa £50.00.

My present invoice due on 17th December is approx. £92.00 with a £12.00 cr. so total balance for this month is £77.00 +. A very low bill for me by previous accounts!

To break this new invoice down...

Sky Subscriptions: £47.00

Sky Broadband Connect: £17.00

Sky Talk line rental: £10.00

Call charges: £22.39 (only £4.00 of these charges are premium or mobile).

Admin charge for Invoice: £4.00 (I don't have anything in paper so why this charge?).

To add to my confusion and upset is the fact that the bill due date is always the 17th of each month. So why have I had my account suspended on several occasions on or before the 10th of each month?

Even if this bill is correct, why am I always being assured that my broadband, telephone, and TV is £50.00 +/- £5.00pm?

Nearly every month I ask the CS agents to downgrade my subscriptions because of this, and every month they tell me they can reduce my bills by blah, blah, blah. In the latest case about £50.00.

Yet looking at my bill, my subscription has gone up (again) i.e. The package deal or subscription...in my case now Sky World. This package was promised by Sales to save me £££'s and yet I'm still paying for the very things that should be free?

Like many others on this site and others, I will be taking my custom elsewhere next month. That's if they give me the MAC code they're not allowed to withhold, and don't fiddle the bills to make it difficult for me to see out my 4 weeks notice.

Upset? Yes.

Frustrated? Yes.

Feel abused? Yes.

Tired of it all? Yes, very.

Does anyone know Esther Rantzen's telephone no.? I could do with a agony aunt offering me words of comfort while snuggling up in between Nicola McLeans head lights.

Thanks.

Craig

Edited by cpashto70
Typo

So it looks as you packae is £83 per month plus any calls (assuming your on skytalk unlimted -£5 if not)

if your payment date is the 17th of each month you normally get around 10 to 14 days after that before its switched off.

as you are now active anyway they wont have any problem giving you a mac code.

and I know how frustating it is speaking to some of the ops as they get theieself confused as well and it is something sky are dealing with at the moment as folk like me are sick of haveing to sort stuff like this out that shouldnt happen, every thing is clear cut with prices etc so it shouldnt be hard to relay that info to customers

my sky on sky.com is good as you can keep track of your billing and also you cn play around with package etc and gives you the price.

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey:eek: £83 a month Sky Packages

I still remember the days when I paid sky £14 a month and thought that was expensive, but £83 a month, WOW what do you get for all that??

VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN - IF THEY HELP - PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Halifax - S.A.R - June 06

- Pre-Lim(£1665) July 06

- LBA - July 06

- MCOL - 15th Aug 06

- Acknowledged 18th Aug

- Settled IN FULL :eek:

- 2nd Claim Started - 12 Dec 2006

- SETTLED IN FULL:eek:

- 3rd Claim Started (Phone Call) 1st March 2007

Abbey National - S.A.R - 23/08/06

- Default Removal Letter sent 21st Sept

- LBA sent with Estimated Charges 4/10/06

- 2nd LBA 23/10/06

- N1 filed 9/11/06 - Deemed Served 16/11/06

- AQ & Draft Directions filed 19/12/06

- Court Hearing 22/3/07

- SETTLED IN FULL:o INCLUDING £5k COMPENSATION

Capital One - S.A.R. 10/10/06

Alliance & Leicester - Mortgage E/S/C Claim 02/03/07

Hi Armsoft,

Basically I get everything...

1. All the variety viewing packs/mixes.

2. Sky Sports (all channels).

3. Sky Movies (all channels inc. Disney channels).

4. Sky Broadband.

5. Sky Talk inc. line rental and free evening & weekend calls.

All the programming is excellent, had no technical problems. Same goes for the broadband. However, upon signing up to Sky I should have been paying £7.00 per month for the broadband but because my local area has not yet been updated - Sky refer to updated areas as unbundled - I was not told I'd have to pay £17.00.

At the quoted cost about £50.00 per month I thought it was a good deal, however, I soon found out I was paying over £20.00 more per month than I should have.

All I can advise is: go through everything with the Sky agent, for total clarification, before signing up to a 12 month contract.

Merry Christmas.

• 1 year later...

Hi

Mis-selling seems to be growing at Sky - and Ida I feel sorry for you!

I cancelled sky recently with the thought of BT Vision or Freesat, but went back when I was offered 6 months half price package fees. I also decided to switch my landline and broadband from Plus.Net as it seemed to work out much better and gave me a much higher download limit on the package for £7.50 a month.

I was read the T&C's for broadband, but at the time I was NOT told I couldn't use my own modem/router, and (I had to ask if I needed to) was told I could provide the MAC in the next few days. The op (from Scotland) then told me my new HD box would be coming out on Sunday 5th Sept.

Confused was I when I checked mysky to find no HD box listed, and not at all happy when the op I spoke to about 11am told me it wasn't coming that day. Thank god I didn't leave it to the evening before phoning!

I had requested my MAC and 2 days later Plus.net told me I couldn't have it as the transfer was in progress. Non-too-happy at the thought of loss of broadband, I phoned sky, to be told that I didn't need a MAC as it was sky's equipment at the exchange I would use.

So, today is my "go live" for broadband and phone. Seemed ok until I phoned sky to request the username and password to put in my own router (damn site better than the D-Link they sent out to me). A long argument with a CS agent in India, another longer argument with the team leader, a few stupid requests and suggestions later (such as "run both routers at the same time connected together" - yeah right, costing me more electricity and not exactly environmentally friendly!) and eventually I was put through to a lady in Scotland, who confirmed the stupid idea to use two boxes together.

WHAT ON EARTH!???! This has to be the only broadband provider in the UK that locks you into their equipment by burying it deep in the modem software! I am seriously now considerring cancelling the whole lot, going back to Plus.Net for landline and broadband, and buying a Freesat HD PVR for about £200. I have been mislead from day one by the operator (unfortunatley he came across as wholly plausable). I believe this can't be right under the Sales of Goods Act, and/or the Distance Selling Regulations, so that's what they will be told tomorrow. Not happy with them at all.

This is my first post, so hi to everyone who's registered or browsing this excellent resource.

If the subject of this post would be better placed elsewhere on CAG please tell me.

I have an axe to grind with Sky TV and Broadband:

I have ordered and upgraded Sky packages over the last few months with the intent of saving me money. (Upgrades advised by Sky customer services). The package, which includes Sky Sports/Movies/Variety packs and up to 2mb broadband/free evening and weekend calls has been quoted as being circa £47.00 per month. In the ten months I've been with Sky I've not had a bill for less than £72.00; this was the first bill inc. £12.00 for phone calls.

Well now I'm really starting to get angry as my last bill was £132.00. The agreed amount of £47.00 should have one out on November 17th, however Sky (without my express permission) decided in their wisdom to take out the unauthorised amount of £132.00 ten days earlier than the agreed date. I received a letter from my bank telling me that Sky had taken the money and I didn't have enough in my account to cover the bill thus leaving me in the red. The bank then recalled the payment and charged me £25.00 for the courtesy.

Sky then suspended my service. This means I cannot use the internet; I have no facility to make outgoing calls; and I don't have any TV except for the normal 7 or 8 channels.

I duly called Sky TV to sort out the bill, the amount taken, and the bank charges. Needless to say, the customer service (CS) person was totally unhelpful telling me to pay up or lose the service completely and pay 12 months charges under the contract. I told them my bill wasn't due to be paid until the 17th and they said the bill does run up to 17th but they take the payment in advance. Eh??

My efforts were pointless. I called CS many times over the next couple of days with no joy whatsover. To add insult to injury on the 16th of November I received a letter from Sky with an invoice sheet for £223.00!!!

To be honest I really thought they were taking the p**s and still do. Out of total frustration I called them two days ago and said I was seeking legal advice now, and I wished to have my line and services stopped with immediate effect. Sky told me I couldn't. I told them I was disputing the whole service I'd received from them. I told them they were in breach of contract (on several counts) and I wished to take my custom elsewhere.

I really needed the phone and internet to pursue this, and my kids of 12 and 15 desperately need the web in order to do their school work. Especially my son (15) who need access to the net for his final exams.

Sky were not in the least interested and said I should direct my complaint to Sky HQ. I said I'd got no phone to do that. They advised me to e-mail it then. By now my brow was furrowing and I was ready to strangle someone.

On the evening of 26th November, and in utter frustration and desperation I decided to succomb to their demands in order to pursue the case in full. I agreed to pay the £132.00 over the phone by card and then they'd connect me back up within 5 minutes. As sson as the payment had been confirmed they said that the computer needs the rest of the bill payed before connection could resume. I told them that this isn't possile has the remainder had to paid within ten days of the 17th november. They weren't having any of it, and so I had to pay the whole lot.

My next bill of anything between £72.00 and £223.00+ was due on the 17th December. I know this will mean (by experience) that my service will be cut on or around the 6th December.

I've asked for printed dialogue sheets detailing communication between me and all of the CS numpties I've spoken to, and paper invoices with concise information regarding packages I've signed up to and total bill payemtns with dates. I don't recall how many times I've requested this information but it's going back moths now...

Sky TV and internet might be good, but the customer service department is nothing but in name. I'm sure taking on a huge household name is going to be difficult, nigh impossible, but I've been ripped off and conned beyond any doubt. Is there anything I can do to get this looked at and even get some recompense, in the form of a refund for the money they taken from me unreasonably?

Sorry for the long post, but believe me, if I went through every problem I've had with Sky you'd be reading forever.

Thank you all in anticipation.

Craig

Hi

i've quoted the original post because this is VERY similar to my experience!

i've been with them 4 months I've not had 1 bill the same & to add insult to injury now i can't even see my own account without digitally signing a NEW set of T's & C's despite signing all the original paperwork!!

PLEASE can someone help advise!

eg last

monthly bill £105.13

last -1

monthly bill £ 29.13

the only consistency being the 13 pence!!

if there is a logical explanation i long to be enlightened

what goes around comes around

EVERY cloud does have a silver lining you just have to look really REALLY hard sometimes..

Get in contact with the top man at the Chief Executives office. I did and they sorted out why I was still being billed for Sky long after I had finished with them (only took them 5 months....)

I have a similar problem being dealt with by Virginmedia at the moment, had no problems whilst it was Telewest but since it has been Virginmedia my bills are always wrong.

Go to the top and you can then get a better level of customer service. Sadly they have too many departments who can contradict eachother and very few people who know the processes from top to bottom....

Hi

Mis-selling seems to be growing at Sky - and Ida I feel sorry for you!

Hi Thompson9100

Thanks for your reply and story. I feel very sorry for you. I've had so much hastle with Sky that I've now binned them. I'm with Virgin Media now, and I've got to be honest, everything's so much simpler and more straight forward. I get my Broadband and phone line plus calls with them for a very reasonable price and they just take the money out of my bank on the same day of every month. Just how it should be.

I'd either stick with Plusnet or whatever it was you were using previously, or even consider Virgin. Gotta say, they're the best I've been with by a country mile thus far.

Good luck and all the best.

Craig

do you have skytalk?

mostly call charges can fluctuate your bills on a monlthy basis