Tenancy woes. Landlord acting very strangely.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My landlord has asked us to leave our property after less than 2 months of the 6 month assured shorthold tenancy agreement.

She is claiming that repair work to a section of the ceiling which has collapsed will take "longer than anticipated, requiring communal agreement from the other tenants".

There is no break clause in the contract.

Under what circumstances can the landlord terminate the tenancy early?

If the house is deemed uninhabitable, which is what she is hinting at without actually saying it, but which isn't at all the case, am I entitled to be rehoused at the landlord’s expense?

If I take up the offer of ending the tenancy early, what terms should I insist on, eg can I request that my deposit is returned early, or that my deposit is placed in a TDS. Should I perhaps ask for a rent reduction?

The reason I ask is that since the accident happened we have found her not only threatening but untrustworthy, devious and uncoperative, (ie not returning calls, not letting us know what is happening, agreeing to give us a small some of money towards our cleaning costs and then not sticking to her word, and, most infuriatingly, constantly blaming the insurance company for delays) and we believe that she will do everything in her power to retain the hefty deposit.

I'm also going to apply to the Private rented housing Panel to ensure that the repair work is carried out because my landlady said that if we do not leave early she will not repair the ceiling. When I told her of my plans to go to the PRHP she simply requested that I copy in her solicitor on all correspondence. Things have gotten ugly but fortunately the PRHP do mediation :).

I've never come across someone like my current landlady and I've lived in 20 or so flats. Its such a shame, as we love the flat but now its full of negative energy and I'm losing sleep, its affecting my work and my relationship, I'm always on the phone to advisors and contractors, and now trying to get legal advice.

Any help or support would be much appreciated.

Hi there, Well firstly, your deposit should already be protected, within 14 days of her receiving it. I would sue her for TDS non compliance, getting 3 x deposit back, then find a more honest Landlord.

Please note, my advice is only my opinion.

If you have found my advice helpful, please tip my scales, thank you