• Tweets

• 1. who knows... 2. not the whole A/C vanishes from your file on the DN's 6th b'day ...already carefully explain this. 3.yes 4.already carefully explain this.
    • if i remember rightly, long ago in one of the first drafts of the old proposed gov't overhauls, there was a listing of recommended 'charges' that inc wrong reg = £20. some PPC's implemented such changes in advance. then later as it looked increasing likely the new code was never going to be implemented after it's 1st review and another set of codes was to be debated they all quietly revert back .......... dx
    • Potentially it may not even get sold on? Just the default left for 6 years then gone? but if it is sold on ill get a letter from the DCA which is the notice of assignment? Sorry what is the different between a default notice and a default cal marker? yes, i may try and work arrangements out with the OCs after the breathing space but I'll see my circumstances then thank you again for all your help and patience, I really appreciate it and apologies If i am too fast or repeating myself.
    • receiving a default NOTICE (forget simple default cal markers) does not mean it will get sold on... OC's very very rarely do court themselves.  if it does you would receive a Notice of Assignment from the debt buyer/DCA.  as for reduced payment if it remains with the OC and they issue a DN, no harm in trying but lets get all your ducks inline first. dx  
    • okay thanks do you know how long it will take for it to get to the DCA or could the OC try and issue a CCJ? even though it's unlikely also for example would the OC agree to a reduction and a small payment over a super lengthy period of time if agreed? Rather than go through chasing apologies again for all the questions, just trying to understand all the possible scenarios.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA/Restons claimform - old A+L Card **WON+COSTS**

fairbyblue
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i am not legally trained but i think you will find that no creditor can insert a clause or change an existing agreement in such a way as to defeat the basic requirements of the consumer credit act

therefore if he inserts a clause that allows him to demand earlier payment without abiding by the requirements to first issue an effective DN he would get short shrift from the courts

otherwise the creditor could simply insert this clause into the agreemen

clause umptynone(1)

the debtor herewith agrees that none of the foregoing terms and conditions are of any effect and the requirements of the consumer credit act do not apply to this agreement which is a regulated agreement but now it isnt!

#

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will also depend on the claimants actions and the wording of the Default Notice. It also depends on the Judge you get and what the Claimant are like.

The easiest arguement is where the claimant have put in writing that the account is terminated/ended.

The Default Notice we got from MBNA said the account would be closed and terminated, court action may be taken, further statements will not be issued, and if it is terminated the full balance will be due.

They then issued a letter asking for full payment.

You can argue the second they take the further action as per the DN they lose the ability to reissue a DN, as the issuing of the DN allows them to take the further action.

If they don't take the further action, then they can re-issue a DN. (Which is what Ford did in our Link case - a DN was issued in Feb and was remedied, a new one was issued in July and the car was taken in August, terminating the agreement leaving them unable to reissue a DN).

---

The best thing is to ensure is that you have an answer to any points the Claimant or DJ may raise.

It will also depend on the claimants actions and the wording of the Default Notice. It also depends on the Judge you get and what the Claimant are like.

The easiest arguement is where the claimant have put in writing that the account is terminated/ended.

The Default Notice we got from MBNA said the account would be closed and terminated, court action may be taken, further statements will not be issued, and if it is terminated the full balance will be due.

They then issued a letter asking for full payment.

You can argue the second they take the further action as per the DN they lose the ability to reissue a DN, as the issuing of the DN allows them to take the further action.

If they don't take the further action, then they can re-issue a DN. (Which is what Ford did in our Link case - a DN was issued in Feb and was remedied, a new one was issued in July and the car was taken in August, terminating the agreement leaving them unable to reissue a DN).

---

The best thing is to ensure is that you have an answer to any points the Claimant or DJ may raise.

one thing to watch for on subsequent DN;s is to see if the default arrears remains the same- on a live account they cant be the same!!

In case anyone finds it useful, I've attached a copy of the MBNA comms log abbreviations key which they supplied with a recent SAR request. Though to be honest its pretty much useless as the only items listed are pretty obvious anyway and it simply ignores most abbreviations they use.

MBNA Comms Log Key.pdf

Ok defence nearly ready all i need is the killer case law about the temrination after the 1st DN that they cant then issue a 2DN. Is it Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain & Co - [1998] All ER (D) 339

I want it in simple terms cos I am confusing myself here let alone the judge.

Thanks

Is it this one you want, FB

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/56-cases/162-woodchester-lease-v-swain-a-co-1998-default-notices-

Para 123; Failure of a Default or Termination Notice to be accurate not only invalidates the Default or Termination Notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain & Co - [1998] All ER (D) 339) but is an unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the Court enforcing any alleged debt, but give the Claimant a claim for damages. (Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society [1996] 4 All ER 119)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

i am not legally trained but i think you will find that no creditor can insert a clause or change an existing agreement in such a way as to defeat the basic requirements of the consumer credit act

therefore if he inserts a clause that allows him to demand earlier payment without abiding by the requirements to first issue an effective DN he would get short shrift from the courts

otherwise the creditor could simply insert this clause into the agreemen

clause umptynone(1)

the debtor herewith agrees that none of the foregoing terms and conditions are of any effect and the requirements of the consumer credit act do not apply to this agreement which is a regulated agreement but now it isnt!

#

I think this was covered in discussion in the following post yesterday DD . It seems as though MBNA have tried to infiltrate a clause that will allow them to change the course of things.. they hoped:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-2229315.html

HTH

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

excellent, thanks

although having read the thread i am still of the (unqualified but i believe fairly safe opinion that no creditor can introduce variations into a regulated agreement , whether with or without the express consent of the creditor, that defeats the regulations of the act itself

a condition giving the creditor the right to terminate and/or demand the full balance would be a clear and unacceptable attempt (IMO) to do just that and i beleive would be thrown out in court

yes but it doesnt say WHEN he must take it(only the MINIMUM time in which he can take it)

he could choose to take the action after 14 days 14 weeks 14 months or decide to take some other action

so long as he issues a new DN saying what the new action intended is

not defending them- just pointing out that it is not all one way in our favour

No problem with you comments DD...we may eventually find the answer by thrashing this out!! ;)

Some of the DN's are less ambigious than MBNA's though and actually state that "on the date shown the following action will be taken." Just been looking at an HFC DN which states that; "HFC Bank will terminate the agreement on the date shown."

Such a shame MBNA weren't as specific.:(

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

No problem with you comments DD...we may eventually find the answer by thrashing this out!! ;)

Some of the DN's are less ambigious than MBNA's though and actually state that "on the date shown the following action will be taken." Just been looking at an HFC DN which states that; "HFC Bank will terminate the agreement on the date shown."

Such a shame MBNA weren't as specific.:(

indeed- just a matter of waiting for that ONE letter!!

For avoidance of doubt ‘the further action set out below may be taken against you’ is a statutory requirement to be included in any default notice issued in accordance with s87 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the use of the word *may* does not negate the specific use of the word *will* within the statement ‘the agreement will be terminated’

Any ideas for my amended defence as its going in tomorrow

Heres the brief version

1. I, XXXXX, being the Defendant, am a litigant in person in this case.

2. This is an abridged version of the 2 previous witness statements submitted for the summary judgement hearing and is in the court file and a copy of those statements is with the Claimant.

3. The relevant case law to support my arguments are quoted in the statements.

4. On 20th June 2008 I received a Default Notice dated 18th June 2008 (Exhibit NRF1) from MBNA Europe Bank Limited served under s87 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974.

5. This by the claimants own admission is defective in that it failed to give the correct amount of time to remedy the breach of £1601.29, it also referred to the wrong clause to remedy the breach.

6. Failure of a default notice to be accurate not only invalidates the default notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is a unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt, but give me a counter claim for damages Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society [1996] 4 All ER 119

7. In my judgment, Mr Hodgkinson is right for the reasons which he has given. This statute was plainly enacted to protect consumers, most of whom are likely to be individuals. When contracting with a large financial organisation they are at a disadvantage. The contract is likely to be in standard form and relatively complex with a number of detailed provisions. If the hirer is said to have broken its terms, the hirer needs to know precisely what he or she is said to have done wrong and what he or she needs to do to put matters right. The lender has the ability and the resources to give that information with precision. If he does not do so accurately then he cannot take what Mr Gruffyd conveniently referred to as "the next step".

8. In the case of Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain & Co - [1998] All ER (D) 339 in the Court of Appeal, the court addressed in some detail the issue of the contents of a default notice and should the notice fail to comply with the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) it would render the default notice invalid, I quote the comment of KENNEDY LJ: "This statute was plainly enacted to protect consumers, most of whom are likely to be individuals" the judgment appears to confirm the consumer credit legislation made under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 as plainly enacted and set out to offer protection to the consumer. Therefore it is suggested that the failure of the claimant to set out the default notice in accordance with the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) could unduly prejudice me as it failed to allow the required time to remedy the default.

9. The claimant has terminated the agreement.

10. This is demonstrated by the wording of the default notice stating that it will terminate on 1st July 2008

11. In the ‘Customer Information System’ marked NRF9 (Copy is attached) it states that I have received 5 letters demanding full payment, and or percentage sum of the total owed after the issue of the Default notice dated 18th June 2008 (NRF1) therefore terminating the on going agreement.

12. The dates on the letters are 9th July 2008, 10th July 2008, 4th August 2008, 2nd September 2008, 7th October 2008.

13. MBNA have ‘Charged off’ the account on 31st May 2009 indicating that they are claiming tax relief.

14. Even though payments were made on the account the amount to remedy remained at £1601.39 on both default notices showing in fact it had been terminated.

15. This is prior to the issue if the 2nd Default Notice dated 27th October 2008 and the one the claimant now relies.

16. In NRF5 Mr Coe, Managing Director of the Claimants solicitor confirms the account is terminated.

17. The language of a default notice is framed on the basis there is a current agreement. That language is prescribed. If the Claimant terminated the agreement, to deliver an effective default notice will involve the fiction the agreement is current and never terminated. It would also involve the Claimant reinstating unilaterally.

18. I have not reinstated the agreement

19. However, the Claimant has also failed to set out the Default Notice dated 27th October 2008 in accordance with the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561), which consequently failed to comply with the requirements because of at least three deficiencies. Specifically, it failed to be accurate due to;

20. It failed to have name of creditor

21. It failed to have address of creditor

22. In paragraph 8 it states “Where a sum of money is required to be paid under the notice,

(a) the amount of the sum before deducting the amount of any rebate on early settlement;

(b) where any rebate on early settlement is allowable under the agreement or by virtue of section 95 of the Act--

(i) the amount of the rebate allowable calculated on the assumption that early settlement takes place on the date

specified in the notice for earlier payment of the sum; and

(ii) the total amount to be paid after taking into account the amount of any rebate on early settlement, namely the difference between the amount shown in paragraph (a) above and the amount shown in sub-paragraph (i).”

23. These are the arguments as well as the contents of my 2 previous statements on which I will be relying.

Well the defence is done, Restons have until 25/6/09 to respond. Told them in covering letter no emails and that I will be calling a 'comprehensive list of witnesses from MBNA who have provided statemnts and the appropriate operators who input the comments on Comms Log.

No doubt they will email with 10 minutes before deadline with theisr response.:D

Yes ill second that AA99 Good Luck Fairbyblue may your outcome be better than mine.

Regards

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

you could always be cruel and set up an auto responder to send an "undeliverable" report back to any restons E-Mail :p

i bet that that would get them agitated! :D

H

I like the idea of that, it appeals to the naughty streak in me:D

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

Fairby, I have some interesting information that you could use against restons re. when the account is terminated. I've just had a phone call from a lady in the Compliance Department clarifying what some terms on the Comms Log meant.

The one that is really interesting is Charge-Off Code A

Charge Off Code A - block code, used when the account is closed.

I have this conversation recorded, so if you want to use it, let me know and I can send you the recording/witness statement if you need it :D

H

• Haha 1

Screwing around with their email addresses is very unlikely to cause them any harm and it just lowers you to their level. So why even discuss it?

it's called stress releif, help lighten the mood a little to keep us all sane :)

H