• Tweets

• Hello, Following the submission of my defense, last night I received an email from DCBL indicating that the claimant intends to proceed with the claim (I've attached a screenshot of the email for reference) along with the N180 directions questionnaire. I'm unsure how they obtained my email, but I suspect it was through the courts' form when I completed the Acknowledgment of Service. This email almost slipped my attention. I have also today received a letter from court to state they have received my defense.  It appears they are requesting an online telephone hearing with the court. Could you please advise me on the necessary steps I should take at this point? Thank you for your assistance. Letter-Email 25-04-24.pdf N180 - Directions questionnaire (Small Claims Track).pdf
    • Default Amount £9237.88, all this started in 2006 Admitted debt £9075.65 Weightmans added £1515.01 immediately they became involved, no explanation The Statement shows when Marlin bought debt in May 2011 £10439.25 Their statements, not received until the SAR, are based on this. Cabot deducted £1515.01on their statements in January 2019, again did not find this out until SAR. Weightmans added in  2007 after the CH1 etc was confirmed by the court £741.50, made up of Process server fees, Court Fee (they tried for bankruptcy), Solicitors fee and Land Registry fee. Unspecfied Legal costs were added by Marlin in March 2015, again I did not know this until statements received with SAR I had been paying monthly, without exception until December 2018. I am minded to take the property charge, CH1 amount ,deduct all my payments and the subsequent fees, and request/demand a refund on the final payment made? I consistently disputed Weightmans balances, but they never responded. I also told Mortimer Clarke/Cabot that I disputed their amounts.  
    • Just follow this link and have read of some threads so your familiar with the process https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/347310-legal-n180-directions-questionnaire-small-claims-track/#comment-5178739
    • Sorry,  I'm not familiar with terminology.  Direction questionnaire is what I've seen online as next step. Witness statement: I haven't gone that far, that's why I put the question marks.
    • 2. Is correct disregard 1. You must attend ad per the order 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA/Restons claimform - old A+L Card **WON+COSTS**

fairbyblue
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If the creditor or owner fails to provide a notice of sums in arrears when required to do so, then during the period of his failure to provide the notice (i.e. from the date that it was required to be given until the end of the day on which it is eventually provided), he is not entitled to enforce the agreement.

So once the DN states the arrears to rectify the breach it should then move on to:-

If you don not pay the aarrears by the date shown above the Creditor intends to:-

1.Require immediate payment on the Total Amount Ouststanding 9as set out below if ness by Court Action

Total Amount Outstanding £ xxxxxxxxx (inc arrears)

I am still confused

All it says on my DN is

' if the arrears are not paid before xxxx we may demand payment of the total amount outstanding under the agreement '

Rebate allowable (if any) £ xxxxxxxxxx

Net Amount Outstanding £ xxxxxxxxx

providing the above is laid out in that form then the Termination is complete (legally)

Regards

Andy

On my DN all it says is

' If the arrears are not paid before xxxxx we may demand payment of the total amount outstanding under the agreement '

no figures or calculations

Then it goes on about what will happen if they take me to court but again no figures or amounts

Fairbyblue I am sorry if I am hijacking your thread but I hope my questions are helpful to you also .

I will go back to my own thread now :)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/192837-help-please-court-papers-11.html

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding of post 701 is that it is not related to a Default Notice, rather to the new item that was added ISFA the creditor needs to send a letter to the debtor informing them of arrears on the account.

I also understand that a DN is issued for amounts in arrears, and not for the full balance outstanding. I can't find anywhere in the CCA that the total amount due is a requirement of a DN. In order to claim the full outstanding balance, the creditor needs to issue a DN.

Steven, I would also say that the second DN is invalid as it came from Santa Clause :D

Please note that I am not a solicitor or legally trained. The advice I give is from my own personal experience based on my own personal circumstance. If you choose to follow any advice I may give, please make sure you understand the implications of following that advice. :-)

Post 701 refers to the amendments made in October 2008 to the CCA 1974/2006

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

On my DN all it says is

' If the arrears are not paid before xxxxx we may demand payment of the total amount outstanding under the agreement '

no figures or calculations

Then it goes on about what will happen if they take me to court but again no figures or amounts

Fairbyblue I am sorry if I am hijacking your thread but I hope my questions are helpful to you also .

I will go back to my own thread now :)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/192837-help-please-court-papers-11.html

i don't want to appear to be "negative" but i am totally unaware of any legislation which requires to total amount outstanding on the account, nor discounts etc to be included on a DN

i am still learning myself but i am pretty sure i would already haev picked this up and i woulnd't want summerbreeze to go off half cocked claiming a fault DN on these grounds

Correct me if I am wrong, but post701 refers to S86 that was added to the CCA in 2008. This change has nothing to do with a Default Notice. See http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/consumer_leaflets/credit/GN69.pdf

• Haha 1

Please note that I am not a solicitor or legally trained. The advice I give is from my own personal experience based on my own personal circumstance. If you choose to follow any advice I may give, please make sure you understand the implications of following that advice. :-)

88. Contents and effect of default notice. — (1) The default notice must be in the prescribed form and specify—

(a)

the nature of the alleged breach;

(b)

if the breach is capable of remedy, what action is required to remedy it and the date before which that action is to be taken;

©

if the breach is not capable of remedy, the sum (if any) required to be paid as compensation for the breach, and the date before which it is to be paid.

(2) A date specified under subsection (1) must not be less than [F114] days after the date of service of the default notice, and the creditor or owner shall not take action such as is mentioned in section 87(1) before the date so specified or (if no requirement is made under subsection (1)) before those [F114] days have elapsed.

(3) The default notice must not treat as a breach failure to comply with a provision of the agreement which becomes operative only on breach of some other provision, but if the breach of that other provision is not duly remedied or compensation demanded under subsection (1) is not duly paid, or (where no requirement is made under subsection (1)) if the [F114] days mentioned in subsection (2) have elapsed, the creditor or owner may treat the failure as a breach and section 87(1) shall not apply to it.

(4) The default notice must contain information in the prescribed terms about the consequences of failure to comply with it [F2and any other prescribed matters relating to the agreement].

(5) A default notice making a requirement under subsection (1) may include a provision for the taking of action such as is mentioned in section 87(1) at any time after the restriction imposed by subsection (2) will cease, together with a statement that the provision will be ineffective if the breach is duly remedied or the compensation duly paid.

Annotations:

Amendments (Textual)

F1

Words in s. 88(2)(3) substituted (1.10.2006) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. 14(1) , 71(2) (with Sch. 3 para. 10); S.I. 2006/1508, art. 3(2) , Sch. 2

F2

Words in s. 88(4) inserted (16.6.2006) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. 14(2) , 71(2) (with Sch. 3 para. 10); S.I. 2006/1508, art. 3(1) , Sch. 1

the content is covered in here isnt it:

Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983:

6. Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983.pdf

• Haha 1

i don't want to appear to be "negative" but i am totally unaware of any legislation which requires to total amount outstanding on the account, nor discounts etc to be included on a DN

i am still learning myself but i am pretty sure i would already haev picked this up and i woulnd't want summerbreeze to go off half cocked claiming a fault DN on these grounds

Hi DiddyD

Dont worry theres other faults with the DN I have so I wasnt relying on this point alone.

Thanks for your concern though:)

• Haha 1

i don't see anything in post 701 which says the dn must contain the total amount owing

it refers only to the arrears

The total amount due only needs to be stated for Hire-purchase not credit-cards - part 6 of the 1983 Default etc.. regs covers it.

I am looking for where in the legislation it states the total owing must be on the DN

Can anyone help ?

Just to clarify my earlier post and to enlighten friend Diddy Dicky I didnt make the above statement but the poster summerbreeze quotes.I thought there was refernce to it in my post 701.Unfortunatly not,apologies.

My later post refers to loan /HP agreements (thats rebate Diddy not discounts) and is a perscribed term if its referred to in the agreement

ie

4) The default notice must contain information in the prescribed terms about the consequences of failure to comply with it [F2and any other prescribed matters relating to the agreement].

The above from yor post Diddy

The rebate being a perscribed term hence the need to not only include the arrears but also the total amount outstanding (less rebate of course)

Apolgies FB for the confusion

Regards

Andy:rolleyes:

Edited by Andyorch

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Just to clarify my earlier post and to enlighten friend Diddy Dicky I didnt make the above statement but the poster summerbreeze quotes.I thought there was refernce to it in my post 701.Unfortunatly not,apologies.

My later post refers to loan /HP agreements (thats rebate Diddy not discounts) and is a perscribed term if its referred to in the agreement

ie

4) The default notice must contain information in the prescribed terms about the consequences of failure to comply with it [F2and any other prescribed matters relating to the agreement].

The above from yor post Diddy

The rebate being a perscribed term hence the need to not only include the arrears but also the total amount outstanding (less rebate of course)

Apolgies FB for the confusion

Regards

Andy:rolleyes:

no wukin furries blue!

Well they have paid the listing fee of £600. Now how do i go about calling a witness in person to explain their statement from MBNA? Or is all their evidence just accepted as fact?

order.jpg[/quot

They haven't paid it yet............They've been ordered to by 4pm today. Did you check with the court?

Hiya Fairbyblue,

You need to send a letter to the sols listing the witness you want in court they will then contact them.

Make sure you get a receipt of posing of this letter just in case they do not show and you need to prove to the judge that you did request them.

Also copy that letter to court.

Regards

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

I think that you need to put the other side to strict proof of certain facts/events in your defence and then demand attendance of those who are in possession of those acts/deeds/etc to give evidence and to b equestioned

for instance if the other side said that a document was posted on such a date, then you put them to proof and you can ask that the person who actually was responsible for posting the document be accountable

(i think thats how it works)

The listing fee is refundable to them, should they decide to vacate at some future point, just thought i should make the point as its all part of the mindgames

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

Hiya Fairbyblue,

You need to send a letter to the sols listing the witness you want in court they will then contact them.

Make sure you get a receipt of posing of this letter just in case they do not show and you need to prove to the judge that you did request them.

Also copy that letter to court.

Regards

PF

Thanks. I wish to call a witness from MBNA so firstly do they have to attend? and is it done just by a letter to Restons and the court.

If it is by letter do i have to put the reasons i want them?

thanks

in my case it was put on the order that i had to call them by such a date that is all the order said so in your case i would of thought a letter to the sols and Ms powell as i asume it is her that did the WS copy to court as well so they know the state of play as 4 putting a reason i dont think that is needed as anything that is said has to be said in front of the judge PF

Edited by pompeyfaith

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

in my case it was put on the order that i had to call them by such a date that is all the order said so in your case i would of thought a letter to

Thanks.

my order just says exchange witnesses statements by 24/7/09. As sure as eggs are eggs i'll get theirs at 15.55hrs on that day . It doesnt say about actually calling them in person

sorry FBB ive added to post above

in my case it was put on the order that i had to call them by such a date that is all the order said so in your case i would of thought a letter to the sols and Ms powell as i asume it is her that did the WS copy to court as well so they know the state of play as 4 putting a reason i dont think that is needed as anything that is said has to be said in front of the judge PF

Did she show?