Mr Happy

Preperation for A+L problems

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3527 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have had a Giro account for all of my adult life, I closed my account about 10 years ago when I got divorced and set up another A+L Giro account, I have had little trouble but over the last 2 years brought up some over limit charges, I got myself sorted and been just about in credit for most of the time after, I decided because there are only 2 branches near me and they are in large cities and no longer as convenient as Giro was that I would change to a more convenient one, I chose Natwest another rip-off banker but convenient.

In the transfer between banks I got charges of £38 for 2 failed transaction with my mortgage, I rang NW and they said welcome to Natwest as a new customer but we still charging you £76 as you settle in until we are forced to repay you when the national bankers court case is finalised (Sorry I forget what the case is called), Natwest is still remaining just in my overdraft so no problems yet.

A mortgage payment was attempted on my A+L account that would have taken me over my overdraft, I received a letter saying that this was happening and they have authorised it but will be charging me £5 a day until it is back in credit.

Direct debits have continued to be attempted on my A+L and I am charged £25 for each one attempted, this is taking me well over my overdraft and I am getting charged daily.

I want to close the account, I want all fees to stop accumulating, could anyone suggest the best way to approach them, I would like to remain in their good books so they don't get the hump and try and sting me for everything they can like MBNA did.

I could ring and ask to have my account frozen and all direct debits cancelled but if they see me drifting away from Alliance and Leicester they may start adding extra fees because I am a lost customer to them anyway, I can not afford to pay the over overdraft and no chance of paying the overdraft itself at present.

They owe me about £1000 to £2000 in fees over the age of the account that I will attempt to recover when this illusive court case is over.

Any updates on the case?

Are A + L better than most? tumble weed all over the place on this forum.

Hi

Did you arrange the transfer of accounts yourself or did you authorise the bank (Nat West)to do it?

If the bank was responsible for the transfer then they have failed you and I would write a strongly worded letter of complaint to them.

I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

Good luck

I did it myself, I didn't want the account moved over straight away just opened it so I had a safety net if things went bottoms up.

My account has been passed onto Rockwell DCA, my £5 over my £500 overdraft has escalated to £1400 with no further contact from A+L with the exception of a telephone call they made where I offered to pay off my overdraft plus the £5 it went over when they authorised my mortgage payment, they rejected my offer.

I have gone through this before with MBNA (and won) but documenting it here for refreshers on the process to take and to keep a list of timescales, hopefully get some input as to what steps to make and when.

I am going to make a hit first and get an SAR to go about claiming my illegal fees back, hopefully get it in before they take me to court (if they do) .