Nissan Navara - Crunching Noise on Full Lock - Is this common?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3057 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Have a Nissan Navara which makes a dreadful crunching noise on full lock. People stop and stare it's so loud. My garage say this a common problem and nothing can be done but I have to say I don't notice it when I see other trucks parking. Can anyone out there offer any advice?

YummyNanny

How old is the vehicle? Have you contacted another Nissan garage or even Nissan themselves to see if it is a "characteristic" of the vehicle or an actual fault?

Hi there

The vehicle is 2001. Nissan say that the noise is not to be expected but I rather thought they might say that. The local Nissan dealership echo the same sentiment. I wasn't sure what to do next and wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience and whether it was just an embarrassing consequence of owning this year and type of vehicle or something that may be more serious. We bought the vehicle second hand and the previous owner said it had made this noise all the time he had had it and he understood that it was just something it did (characteristic). Anyone who can offer any information would be most useful. Thanks.

YummyNanny

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I know I`m a bit late with this reply, but just in case you still have your problem here is how I overcame what sound like the same thing.

I bought mine navara 2nd hand and the owner also said that it had always been like that.

The problem is caused by incorrect set up of 4 bolts used to restrict the amount of steer on full lock. The top of the bolt heads actually make contact with a plate on the chassis at full lock. The noise is most notable when reversing and then braking. This is the bolt head grinding on the plate as the suspension moves. The previous owner of my vehicle simply applied grease to the plate. However, I refered to the Navara service manual and in there it states that the distance from the top of the bolt head from its mounting should be approx 25 mm. When I checked my vehicle they were 35 mm!!!. Subsequent adjustment has completely eliminated the problem.

I hope this helps

• 10 months later...

gday. i have an 05 model STR and mine makes the same noise. dealerships have also told me that there is nothing wrong. in connection to a previous reply to this problem i was wondering where those four bolts are located and if the tensions of the bolts change if you constantly need to tow heavy weights. any responses would be appreciated

This is a common problem but causes no damage. Correct adjustment of the lock stops as previously mentioned and a smear of grease on the lock stops during service is all that is required.

This used to be a problem many years ago on many vehicles but was very rarely heard of as cars where serviced with a bit more care by people that understand how they worked. Unfortunately we seem to now have factory trained technicians which most appear to be no more than factory trained robots with no understanding of how things work and have only been taught to service and repair parrot fashion

Unfortunately there are very few mechanics left that can diagnose and repair efficiently the fact that they say nothing can be done about it proves my point.

If you live any where near Sheffield I could cure it very quickly and at little cost

• 2 weeks later...
gday. i have an 05 model STR and mine makes the same noise. dealerships have also told me that there is nothing wrong. in connection to a previous reply to this problem i was wondering where those four bolts are located and if the tensions of the bolts change if you constantly need to tow heavy weights. any responses would be appreciated

The bolts are located behind the wheel. One either side of the steering gear. They are dome headed style (well mine are). Once adjusted and locked of that should be it:) Towing won make any difference as they take no tension. The bolts are justs "stops" presumably to prevent the steering gear slamming and being damaged when driving on rough ground and on full lock.

• 5 years later...
Hi there,

I know I`m a bit late with this reply, but just in case you still have your problem here is how I overcame what sound like the same thing.

I bought mine navara 2nd hand and the owner also said that it had always been like that.

The problem is caused by incorrect set up of 4 bolts used to restrict the amount of steer on full lock. The top of the bolt heads actually make contact with a plate on the chassis at full lock. The noise is most notable when reversing and then braking. This is the bolt head grinding on the plate as the suspension moves. The previous owner of my vehicle simply applied grease to the plate. However, I refered to the Navara service manual and in there it states that the distance from the top of the bolt head from its mounting should be approx 25 mm. When I checked my vehicle they were 35 mm!!!. Subsequent adjustment has completely eliminated the problem.

I hope this helps

hi there, we have a Navara with the same problem , is the measurement of the 25mm taken to the top of the bolt or the top of the domed cap?

hi there, we have a Navara with the same problem , is the measurement of the 25mm taken to the top of the bolt or the top of the domed cap?

The original thread is 6 years old so you are unlikely to get an answer.