council tax please help..dont know what to do

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5290 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

the amount that can be charged will depend on how much he earns:

Not exceeding £55 .... 0

Exceeding £55 ..but not exceeding £100 .... 3%

Exceeding £100 but not exceeding £135 .... 5%

Exceeding £135 but not exceeding £165 .... 7%

Exceeding £165 but not exceeding £260 ...12%

Exceeding £260 but not exceeding £370 ...17%

Exceeding £370 ..17% in respect of the first £370 and 50% in respect of the remainder.

So if he earns (after tax has been taken) £260 per week, they will take £44.20p. That is only for the arrears as in the liability order, you will have to continue to pay this years tax as well.

There is absolutely nothing your employer can do about this, he has to deduct it and can take £1 for himself if he wants. Only the employer and paystaff should know about this and if it's a big employer, then you can bet there are others already having these deductions made.

You shouldn't really feel embarrased about this as it is such a common everyday occurance that it is already incorporated into payroll computers and the paystaff just tick a little box with the percentage to be deducted.

The reason that you were told he would give you some slack is because he is a coward and tells you one thing while giving the order to someone else to start the AOE.

_________________________ ___________________

If my posting has been of any assistance - please tip my scales.

Foreign Aid - taxing poor people in rich countries for the benefit of rich people in poor countries.

Make a Report to Consumer Direct Here

Poll: Who will you vote for in the next General Election?

· Labour · Conservative · Liberal · Other · (Results)

Edited by Conniff

Conniff

Oh my god he earns good money but i lost my job and we are really struggling.

Based on those figures we going to be in real mess, why should they have this current years payed before end march 2010.

Nothing outstanding from previous years.

I wonder if they will speak to him at work or just deduct payments.

He put it in writing that he would temorarily hold off further action.

Probably not even worth ringing him what do you think.

Thanks for information

Ang

If he has a nice boss, he will tell him he has received the order and by law he has to obey that order. It will show up on his payslip as a deduction.

When you miss payments, you 'can' lose the right to pay in instalments, but it is not laid down you 'must' lose the right, it is at the discretion of the council.

Can you just confirm that all the procedures were adhered to and that you received a liability order?

Edited by Conniff

Conniff

Dont know what a liability order is, they have said by missing payment we cant pay in installments but i wrote to explain and i received a letter back saying they would accept payments again. Then the AOE came 2 days later will his work have received one also.

When will he know how much

ang

To go through the stages. You should have first received a reminder that your payments were in arrears. If you then didn't pay any, you will have had a notice of application to the courts for a liability order with the date the courts would be looking at it and telling you that you can appear in person.

A few days after the court case you should have had a letter with the courts decision and a letter inviting you to contact the council to agree how you were going to pay the arrears.

The council can send you a bill for council tax, but they have no power to collect, so it you fail to make payments, they will ask a court to determine if you are liable to pay council tax. If you believe you don't have to pay because you are one of the exempt classes, then you can appear in court to show the judge the evidence.

If the judge agrees you are liable, he will stamp the application and only then will the council have the power to enforce collection.

Usually the first means is by bailiffs who will write to you to tell you a date they will be calling.

If you haven't received any of the above, you should contact the council with due urgency to ask about the liability order and when and in which court they obtained it.

You will also have had a fee added by the council for obtaining the liability order, so this would be a good indication if they have a liability order at all.

Don't let it get you down at all angmarie, thousands go through this every week. A liability order is not recorded as a county court judgement against you and will not appear on any credit reference agency records.

I don't think you will get anywhere by enquiring about what you were told. If you don't want to contact them by phone to ask about the liability order, you can do it in writing and sending recorded delivery or better still taking it into the council offices personally and getting a receipt for delivery.

Them having a liability order is your main concern as without this, they cannot issue an AOE.

Hello

Only just checked out this thread, i am so glad you got it sorted, and recieved some good advice, it really helps knowing someone is there helping you through it.

Only tip i can add is try your very best to stick to the arrangement - or they will not be as helpful with you in future.

I am still waiting for a reply to my letter and financial statement, they have just taken another 294.00 from my wages - will have to work out what i can miss paying this month, it is so hard when you only have a set budget and no savings to carry you through.

:eek: Looking hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel :eek:

Thebaglady

I will keep to the payment plan i was amazed how helpful they were for me it was just getting the strength to phone them.

Hope you get yours sorted out very soon, its a horrible place to be when you always stressed about debt.

This site is the place to be though, the advice is priceless.

Ang

• 2 weeks later...

Update...... I have had a reply from the council stating they are willing to cancel one of the Attachment of Earnings Orders due to our financial position :):D

I must continue to pay this years council tax in the normal way, then when the AEO has been paid, they will collect via another one, and so on until the debt is clear.. OMG i am so relieved they have finally listened to me, and so now i can get myself straight, and organise weekly payments, as i have done for TV licence, Gas/Elec, and Water.

I finally feel i have a life again, since we moved house 6 weeks ago, we are upto date with everything and we are not stressed about money or debts, in fear of bailiffs knocking at the door or the postman.

We do have some other debts and are being harrassed by debt collection agencies - some of these are statute barred, and i am going to deal with everything now, i just needed to sort out priority debts first.

The help i have recieved on this site has been invaluable - i couldnt have done it without the advice and guidance given to me. I will still be around and will no doubt be asking for more help when i tackle the other debts etc.

Thank you all so much.

:eek: Looking hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel :eek:

glad you both got is sorted

when you are ready baglady then have a read around the dca forum

Debt Collection Industry - The Consumer Forums

ida x

• Haha 1

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)