Faulty Laptop, 8 Days Out Of 12month Warranty!

Andyjp1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys...

Im sure someone can help me out or give me some advice one this problem I have....

I purchased a nice new laptop from Currys Last year

It cost me around £520 at the time... I payed via finance... I have only just finished paying it off last month infact!

Yesterday morning I turned the laptop on, and to find that the screen wouldnt come on... It doesnt sound right either, doesnt sound like its booting up correctly as it just sounds like its trying to read a disc.

I decided to take it back to currys today, with the reciept,knowing it was 8-9 days past the warranty I knew it would be hard to get something done about it..

The girl basically said that they cant do anything as its over its 12 month warranty period and as I didnt take out the extra warranty im not covered for free repair.

She told me to take it to PC World over the road and ask the tech guys

They quoted me £230 for a repair, they didnt even know what was wrong with it.

I told them I may aswell get myself a new laptop if i would have to pay that riduculous amount!

Im not sure what else to do, I have took it to a small independent repair shop to see if they know what the problem is and how much its going to cost.

If this is an expensive amount to pay and I am not willing to pay that amount.. is there anything else I can do?

Contact head office/Complain??

Thanks in advance:)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I'm not sure on how the SOGA works, but as a DSGi employee, let me give you a tip.

Don't bother going through the store if your going to use the SOGA against them, go directly through to the head office in hemel, in writing (recored delivery of course). If you quote SOGA in store to the staff they'll do two things:

1: Refer you to head office because nobody in the shop has the power to give you a new one outside of the warantee period without doing stupid discount and giving one away. They will not do this because head office will come down on them like a ton of bricks. All they will do in the shop is give you the contact details for the head office. This by no means, means the employees at the store don't want to help you, it's that they cannot help you because of restrictions placed upon them, and the computer systems by the company it's self.

2: They'll probably have a good laugh about it once your gone. We get an absolute ton of people into the shops on a regular basis who believe that quoting (usualy misquoting) SOGA to us is the be all and end all of every issue. 99.9% of these people don't have a clue what they're talking about and seem to believe that misquoting the law to us will make us run scared.

For example, we had a woman writing to the store directly with threatening letters claiming she was taking us to court because her hoover wasn't working and used the term "not sufficantly durable". Turns out she was just a slob who couldn't be bothered to clean the filter on it.

So in short: If your taking legal action or even hinting at legal action, go around the store and take it directly to head office.

I'm not sure on how the SOGA works, but as a DSGi employee, let me give you a tip.

Don't bother going through the store if your going to use the SOGA against them, go directly through to the head office in hemel, in writing (recored delivery of course). If you quote SOGA in store to the staff they'll do two things:

1: Refer you to head office because nobody in the shop has the power to give you a new one outside of the warantee period without doing stupid discount and giving one away. They will not do this because head office will come down on them like a ton of bricks. All they will do in the shop is give you the contact details for the head office. This by no means, means the employees at the store don't want to help you, it's that they cannot help you because of restrictions placed upon them, and the computer systems by the company it's self.

2: They'll probably have a good laugh about it once your gone. We get an absolute ton of people into the shops on a regular basis who believe that quoting (usualy misquoting) SOGA to us is the be all and end all of every issue. 99.9% of these people don't have a clue what they're talking about and seem to believe that misquoting the law to us will make us run scared.

For example, we had a woman writing to the store directly with threatening letters claiming she was taking us to court because her hoover wasn't working and used the term "not sufficantly durable". Turns out she was just a slob who couldn't be bothered to clean the filter on it.

So in short: If your taking legal action or even hinting at legal action, go around the store and take it directly to head office.

so nice to know that, as customers and consumers, we are respected :D:eek:

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

What do you guys think to think i shall send

Dear Sir

I purchased a laptop from your Wolverhampton (St Johns Retail Park) store on 8th November 2007. The laptop came with a 12 month warranty fault which lapsed on 8th November 2008. The laptop has developed a fault in that the screen does not activate/light up when the laptop is turned on, the system also doesn't sound like it boots up correctly. I contacted the store and have been informed that it will cost £230 to repair it from the "tech guys". I am not satisfied that a laptop that is 12 months old should develop a fault and I refer you to the following legislation which affords protection to consumers. In short, a laptop costing £520 should remain fault free for a period much in excess of 12 months and therefore it is reasonable that you should undertake to repair it free of charge. The following Acts refer:

Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

I require that you will take the laptop and repair it without charge. Please inform me that you will agree to do so.

Yours faithfully,

Hey guys, I got this email this afternoon from Consumer Direct, what do you think?

Thank you for your email to Consumer Direct dated 17/11/2008. Your reference number for this case is xxxxxxxx, which should be quoted in any future contact about this issue.

Based on the information you have provided, the key legal points in response to your enquiry are as follows:

The issue you have raised comes under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). This implies that in most consumer contracts the goods provided are of a satisfactory quality (free from minor defects at time of purchase and that they are durable with respect to potential wear and tear). This is just one of your statutory rights under this law.

From the information on your email, you may argue that the laptop has not been of a satisfactory quality under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). As a result, Currys would be in breach of contract under that law. Under this breach of contract, you are entitled to a free repair or a like for like replacement.

I would recommend that you now send a formal letter of complaint by recorded delivery to Currys. You should mention that under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended), you are holding them in breach of contract as the laptop has not been of a satisfactory quality. Therefore, you wish to claim a free repair or a like for like replacement. Ask for a response within say, 14 days.

If you require any further advice or information about this case, please do not hesitate to contact Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06 quoting the case reference number.

Hi, Andy.

Sounds good to me :)

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Here is the letter im going to send to them via post.

Does it look ok\/

On 8th November 2007 I purchased the above laptop from your Wolverhampton store at the St Johns Retail Park, It cost me £520, I paid £52 cash and the rest I had on your finance option, On 14th November 2008 I encountered a problem with this laptop, when turning on the system, the screen doesn’t come on at all, the system doesn’t sound like it is booting up correctly, it just sounds like its trying to read a disc, which there is no disc in it. The Laptop has been looked after and has had no damage to it.

On 16th November 2008 I went back into the store I purchased the laptop from and asked if there was anything that could be done, even as a good will gesture as its only just over a year old. I was told “no” by one of the members of staff as its “over the 12 month warranty period, you should of took out the extra warranty”

I was told to go over to the PC World just across the way and see if the tech guys can repair it, I was quoted £230 to have it took away and repaired, without them even diagnosing the fault, which I am not prepared to pay.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 , I am holding you in breach of contract as the laptop has not been of a satisfactory quality. Therefore, I wish claim a free repair or a like for like replacement of the laptop, I would also, if possible like a response within 14 days.

I also attach the finance agreement & the receipt.

Yours Sincerely

LOL, no, I'm no "pro", just someone who hold my statutory rights dear.

Your letter will do, you need to correct a few mistakes, it is "you should have taken out the extrea warranty", "to have it taken away and repaired" "I wish to claim". Also I wouldn't say "if possible", just that you expect a reply within 14 days.

However. Before you send the letter, you might want to try the store again and this time get them to get the manager. I had the same happen to me twice where a shop assistant told me the same rubbish as they did to you, and both times, getting the manager out and asserting my rights under SOGA did the trick, and it will be quicker this way if the manager doesn't play stupid. As it is, if you show him that you know that they're trying to deny you your statutory rights under SOGA 79, it is fairly likely he will cave in and let you choose a new lappy up to the value of what you paid for this one. ;-)

If that fails, then send the letter.

Hey Guys, I Recieved a reply email today from the email i sent monday.

I did also send a letter out today just putting it in writing so it is all official, along with a copy of the reciept.

What do you think??

Thank you for your email dated 19th November 2008.

I was concerned to learn of the difficulties that you are experiencing with your notebook and apologise for the frustration and disappointment caused. We understand that products can develop a fault outside the guarantee period.

Please could you provide us with a copy of your purchase receipt and an independent engineer’s report, to assist our investigations. This report must state the nature of the fault, its probable cause, diagnostic procedures used and the total cost of the repair showing a breakdown of labour charges. If the notebook cannot be repaired, this must be stated.

Should your claim be successful, you will be reimbursed for the cost of this report. Once we are in possession of the above information, your claim will be given our full attention.#

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards,

Thats the next thing im going to have to do.

DO I Just ask the engineer to look at it and find the fault?

Or acually get it repaired and put the claim to them...

What if it happened again to the Laptop if it was to be repaired

No, you don't get it repaired. You get a report. The guy down my road charges a flat fee of £30 to find the fault and write a report. Make sure he states whether it's repairable or not (I'm going to guess not, because it sounds like a hard drive failure to me, but I'm no expert) and to say that this is not something that is normal in a lappy that's only 1 yr old, and you're set. ;-)