GE Money - looking for compensation from them

Danny54
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5636 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thank you Gilbert O'Sullivan for your replies in my defence, you are absolutely spot on.

{EDIT}RUDENESS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED I said in my opening post, which was well worded and polite, that she ordered a store card a FEW WEEKS AGO, and had THREAT LETTERS AND ROBOT CALLS up and till LAST WEDNESDAY. So this was NOT resolved quickly, and wouldn't have been resolved had I not wasted more time and money pushing GE sheisters to void this fraud or whatever happened. Your flippant and sarcastic remarks, casuality over this matter, accusations of ME being rude, giving credit to GE money for supposedly doing nothing wrong and for supposedly being efficient, and making out you gave sound advice which in fact you never did, is completely ridiculous. As for reasonable ron, he's obviously nowhere near 81 so what clue does he have of what my mother has gone through.

Edited by pt2537
see comment

Thank you Gilbert O'Sullivan for your replies in my defence, you are absolutely spot on.

As for the rest of you, you need to learn to READ! I said in my opening post, which was well worded and polite, that she ordered a store card a FEW WEEKS AGO, and had THREAT LETTERS AND ROBOT CALLS up and till LAST WEDNESDAY. So this was NOT resolved quickly, and wouldn't have been resolved had I not wasted more time and money pushing GE sheisters to void this fraud or whatever happened. Your flippant and sarcastic remarks, casuality over this matter, accusations of ME being rude, giving credit to GE money for supposedly doing nothing wrong and for supposedly being efficient, and making out you gave sound advice which in fact you never did, is completely ridiculous. As for reasonable ron, he's obviously nowhere near 81 so what clue does he have of what my mother has gone through.

Danny54

i have looked over this thread and while i can appreciate that you are unhappy with the situation with regards to your elderly mother

However,

You should read the site rules, some of you comments are bordering on breaching those rules and in my view are somewhat rude and could easily be construed as being offensive

Please refrain from such responses such as "What a pathetic response" as they help no one

we are all here to help and this site is built on sharing info and helping each other

should you persist with such replies then we will have no choice but to moderate your responses

Posted at 15:54...

this place is ****ing rubbish.

and still here.

And it's not the first time you've made these sort of remarks about this site.

As said by a previous poster, if you are getting 'better' responses elsewhere (for that I take it posters on another site are egging you on to 'go for it'), why don't you leave? You'll then free up the space, time and internet for people who want to post questions and genuinely listen to the responses?

• Haha 1

Please refrain from such responses such as "What a pathetic response" as they help no one

Well I'm sorry it WAS a pathetic response. Please warn your members that sarcasm and negativity towards what was a perfectly decent opening post helps no one.

You'll then free up the space, time and internet for people who want to post questions and genuinely listen to the responses?

Oh, like these you mean?

His opening lines, sarcastic, uncalled for and not helpful:

Do you have any formula for working out why £100 should be sufficient compensation, or is it just a sum of money that would come in handy for christmas?

Another long winded waste of words. Just say leave out 'manslaughter':

Assuming your mother is still very much alive, I think going down the corporate manslaughter route may be prone of a very significant flaw in your argument.

Nothing here to suggest I should try and get compensation for the harrassment and shocking behaviour of this company, just, 'a few quid':

Compensation does not get based on what might have happened, but what did actually happen, which appears to be a few quid in phone calls.

As has been said, none of his business and totally irrelevant:

I would be more interested in how an 81 year old managed to get the store card in the first place, bearing in mind the problems the rest of the population is having in getting credit.

Apparently this guy thinks making an effort to get some justice when my mother was wronged is going the wrong way round this:

Regardless of this, it sounds like you won't be happy until you've got someone's head on a plate so all I can say is 'good luck'. :rolleyes:

How this reasonable ron thinks he's qualified to be here and give advice is quite beyond me.

My mother who is 81 and who has never done a dishonest thing in her life, has recently been put under a lot of worry and stress from a stupid company called GE money for something she never did and now she's received an apology letter from them. My question is about getting compensation from them.

My mother took out a store card with Debenhams a few weeks ago. She never received the card. She later received a letter from GE Money asking for payment of about £12 for allegedly mail ordering clothes to be sent to some address in romford of which she has no clue about. She ended up receiving threatening letters with threats of collection agencies, and she received daily robot calls asking for the money. The debt was increasing all this time with interest being added. Trying to phone them and speak to a person is difficult enough, not to mention they're 0871 numbers at 10p a minute!

Last wednesday I rang them and finally got to speak to a woman. I insisted they were at fault and that they need to stop these robot calls and threat letters immediately. She said she would cancel the letters and robot calls. Finally the robot calls stopped and today my mother received an apology letter. However, the letter is weak, unsigned and doesn't in our opinion appease the situation to any satisfaction. There has never been any explanation from them as to why they made such a massive cock up. It's cost my mother a few quid in phonecalls @ 10p per minute plus unnecessary aggravation and harassment.

GE Money are not taking enough responsibility for their actions and imo, this amounts to the business equivalent of manslaughter, because they could very easily have put my mother in hospital due to the stress they caused her for something she never did. GE money should be compensating her for this and I intend to write to them with a copy of their apology letter asking for this. I also think Debenhams head office should receive a copy of the letters. I only have a PO box address in Leeds for GE Money customer service, but would prefer an email address. Could you please advise me based on what I've said here and does anyone know of an email address for GE Money? I think something in the region of £100 compensation is not unreasonable to ask for. What do you think? Thanks.

Firstly

i think that you need to put a formal complaint in writing to the company outlining the issues that you want them to address, by all means invite them to make an offer as a gesture of good will to provide your mum with compensation for the distress etc

once they have given you their final response, then you can make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman service

this is your best prospect of success in obtaining some compensation for your mum

there would be little remedy available to you via the courts, such a claim is unlikely to get off the ground IMHO im afraid due to the nature of the issue

Sarcasm and negativity

Quote If you think that's helpful you need your head testing. Quote

Quote LOL!! I hope you're not a lawyer. God help us. Or maybe you work for GE Money. Quote

What were the above then ? I asked some reasonable questions in regard to the the situation but all I got was the above comments.

By the way you still haven't confirmed when GE were advised it was fraud. A phone call wouldn't convince any major financial supplier that transactions were fraudulent. That timing is more indicative of whether you have a genuine complaint. It doesn't matter when the card was ordered what matters is the timeline of events which happened after that.

I didn't offer advice, just comments, my advice is though - Do whatever you want.

Yes, your comment about reasonable ron giving me reasonable advice, and your comment about GE doing nothing wrong in your eyes is what prompted those angry replies to you.

We have NO clue if fraud took place. My assumption all along has been that fraud took place but neither GE or Debenhams has explained anything to us or ever provided proof to us regarding this bogus transaction. All they ever did was send letters asking for payment for something my mother never ordered. My mother wrote to debenhams head office complaining in the strongest terms. 2 weeks later when they finally replied, they offered to credit my mums store account yet the idiots STILL expected a balance of money remaining to be paid to them. Again, for no reason, she owed them nothing. She also got one particular letter from GE money which had a different account number! When I spoke to the GE female last week and mentioned that, she just said "oh yes it's the same account". All GE has done is sent a crappy standard letter apologising, with 'Dear customer', like it's really hard to find her name after all the aggravation they gave her:rolleyes: , and no signature at the bottom, just a printed name of the person in charge of money collections. No offer of any compensation as goodwill. I've read a few things about GE, none of which are good. Debenhams need to sever links with them. If they don't offer any compensation after we write to them, I will very likely write to something like BBC watchdog. The money isn't the issue here so much as the principal. Because I'm sure there's plenty of other people going through the same thing with this company and they can't be allowed to get away with this.

Firstly

i think that you need to put a formal complaint in writing to the company outlining the issues that you want them to address, by all means invite them to make an offer as a gesture of good will to provide your mum with compensation for the distress etc

once they have given you their final response, then you can make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman service

this is your best prospect of success in obtaining some compensation for your mum

there would be little remedy available to you via the courts, such a claim is unlikely to get off the ground IMHO im afraid due to the nature of the issue

Thank you. If the first reply to the thread was civil and polite like yours, instead of sarcastic and arrogant, things would have turned out better.

• Haha 1

Danny I too Have Had Problems Been Harrased For Money I Didn't Owe Not GE.When You Are Trying To Talk To Morons Ie GE (Not Your Email Replies)It Is Very Time Consuming I Sympathise With You I Have Just Had Problems With N Power About A Bill For £3,600 My 3yrs after I Moved!!! Like Your Mother Not Guilty.My Advice Try The Ombudsman For Fair Compensation. Just A Thought.

Hello Danny,

Firstly, I would like to say that you should be commended as a son, and I believe that you are just looking out for your mother. As we all would:D.

I also believe this is about fairness:D and an attempt for a satisfactory closure in this scandelous matter.

The thread has appeared to have lost the real issues here. Anybody, of any age, receiving calls regarding an outstanding debt, that they have not run up, would be extremely distressing, and cause physical and emotional harm. But here we have a women of 81 receiving these harassment calls, and would age matter to them:-x no as you have stated, they are robot calls:rolleyes:

I have had dealing with ge and not for the better I must admit:rolleyes: They are notoriously rude and reluctant to resolve issues.

They are very quick to default accounts, sell them to dca who will go down the enforcement route.:rolleyes: even if accounts are in legal dispute.

I appreciate that your complaint is different, but their railroading behaviour may be considered the same.

It appears now that to ge this account issue as been resolved, after they have investiged and sent your mum a weak template apology letter. Which I agree with you is really not good enough, by any standard. Your mum requires a sincere apology from them.

What you need to find out, if what did they get up to before they discovered their error. As I think Lulu advised you need to get a copy of your mums credit file, from the credit reference companies, experian, equifax and credit call, to see if they have placed late payment markers on this account, for all to see:-x. and if they have, this will be your evidence of the distress and harassment, caused by them. You can send off for these, It costs £2 for a copy. You will find the addresses on the debt forum, under the thread Credit reference agencies.

I would also be writing to them expressing your dis-satisfaction regarding this affair and be requesting to know all of the facts relating to the account. If they are not prepared to provide you with this account. you can always send the a subject access request for information.

I wish you well and please keep us posted:D

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Anybody, of any age, receiving calls regarding an outstanding debt, that they have not run up, would be extremely distressing, and cause physical and emotional harm.

I am not discussing how this may affect an elderly person as I understand that is a completely different matter, but please, to say ANYBODY of ANY AGE who receives a call saying they owe a small debt, when they don't would suffer PHYSICAL (!!!) and emotional harm is being a bit presumptious.

Over time I have received a fair few inaccurate bills, statements etc. and I can assure you after receiving communication regarding such, I have certainly not suffered any physical injury!

I am not discussing how this may affect an elderly person as I understand that is a completely different matter, but please, to say ANYBODY of ANY AGE who receives a call saying they owe a small debt, when they don't would suffer PHYSICAL (!!!) and emotional harm is being a bit presumptious.

Over time I have received a fair few inaccurate bills, statements etc. and I can assure you after receiving communication regarding such, I have certainly not suffered any physical injury!

No it is not,

in fact there is case law which sets out that phone calls especially silent ones amount to assault

so HHNF is correct with that statement

:lol::lol::lol: Is this the "lets get into a heated debate thread":eek:.

Surely the ethos of the site, is to support others who for whatever reason have posted a thread, for advice, support, guidance and information.:D. Others may or may not agree with the thread, that is a matter of personal opinion. If I read a thread and feel that I do not agree with a comment left by a fellow cagger and the content of my post, would not be relevant to the issues or matter in hand. I would not post on it.

Can I ask if your statements above are based on your vast medical knowledge and experience of how stress can and does affect a persons physical health or is your unnecessary snipe, just based on your own experiences.

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW